Menu

Sigh...

So, my oldest is going into 5th grade and my youngest is turning 4 with two more kids in between.  We have been homeschooling the entire time, doing school time in the morning, playing outside after lunch and then headed to extra curricular activities in the afternoon/evening.  I feel like we are ALWAYS running around and never have time to settle in and just...be.  I have been battling this idea for years, but in the end continue with the extra curricular activities because I think my kids benefit from making the friends and learning the sports or being involved in a group that is outside of our family (scouting, etc.)  

Then today I came across this blog post.  This blog post is how I *wish* we spent our day.  

http://www.aholyexperience.com/2012/03/pros-cons-homeschooling-christian-educatio/

But we don't.  First of all, I love that their Dad is home.  Our dad isn't.  He is always away at work.  So we don't have involved Dad only because his job requires him to be away.  I feel like I WANT to make a Little House on the Prairie life but I don't have the right tools.  I am LIVING in modern society, because that is how it goes and there isn't much we can do to change it, yet trying to homeschool in a very centralized fully family oriented way seems like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.  Is it possible to have a Little House on the Prairie vision with suburbs, Daddy gone all the time with work, extended family far away...

Or are you totally satisfied with living a suburban life, being a soccer mom, schooling in the morning and then running to and fro to "after school" activities.  

What do you do?  How do you feel about it?  I am like an 1800s woman born into the merging and now exploded technology age. HA!  

We do limit our activities outside of our home. We have several littles still, and we live half an hour from anything, and DH works long hours, and our 1830s house in the country requires a lot of upkeep, and for several years, finances prevented much of anything. Now, we do one extracurricular activity, and three, soon to be four, children participate in it. The key is that they all do the same class, and we dovetail it with other errands and grocery shopping. We basically kill one day a week.

Don't compare yourself with Ann Voskamp. Her blog is lovely, and she writes beautiful and inspirational stuff. Her homeschool space is beautiful! But maybe it's not the right way for you right now. Don't stress too much.

Fwiw, living the Little House life is hard work! And we only do it to a small degree. There's a lot to be admired about modern life too. :)

Sigh...

So, my oldest is going into 5th grade and my youngest is turning 4 with two more kids in between.  We have been homeschooling the entire time, doing school time in the morning, playing outside after lunch and then headed to extra curricular activities in the afternoon/evening.  I feel like we are ALWAYS running around and never have time to settle in and just...be.  I have been battling this idea for years, but in the end continue with the extra curricular activities because I think my kids benefit from making the friends and learning the sports or being involved in a group that is outside of our family (scouting, etc.)  

Then today I came across this blog post.  This blog post is how I *wish* we spent our day.  

http://www.aholyexperience.com/2012/03/pros-cons-homeschooling-christian-educatio/

But we don't.  First of all, I love that their Dad is home.  Our dad isn't.  He is always away at work.  So we don't have involved Dad only because his job requires him to be away.  I feel like I WANT to make a Little House on the Prairie life but I don't have the right tools.  I am LIVING in modern society, because that is how it goes and there isn't much we can do to change it, yet trying to homeschool in a very centralized fully family oriented way seems like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.  Is it possible to have a Little House on the Prairie vision with suburbs, Daddy gone all the time with work, extended family far away...

Or are you totally satisfied with living a suburban life, being a soccer mom, schooling in the morning and then running to and fro to "after school" activities.  

What do you do?  How do you feel about it?  I am like an 1800s woman born into the merging and now exploded technology age. HA!  

I limited outside activities to way late in the afternoon/early evening. No homeschool sports/dance/whatnot; IOW, our outside activities were community-based, which were scheduled for after-school hours.

On Mondays and Tuesdays, we stayed home. No field trips, no park days, no doctors' appointments, nothing, until after dinner (if then).

On Wednesdays, we went to the library in the morning, and that's it. Mostly we came home for the rest of the day, except for church that evening. Once in awhile we'd do lunch with friends, but nothing was regularly scheduled.

On Thursdays, we left the house for a field trip. No Official School Stuff. No classes or anything scheduled with any homeschoolers.

On Fridays, we cleaned house, and went to a once-a-month park day. That's it.

Mr. Ellie was "involved" only on weekends (except for Wednesdays, when all of us went to church).

Maybe I'm a weirdo, but I thrive on extra-curricular activities, as long as there is a good balance. We do our academics in the morning, music practice in the early afternoon, and then we're out and about most days with either sports or music lessons. It works out really well for us. If I'm home all day for too many days in a row, especially in the long, dark and cold winters of Canada, I go nuts and so do the dc.