Menu

Question about OLSAT--useful for children who struggle???

I know that the OLSAT is sometimes used to screen for giftedness, but would the test have any usefulness as a screening tool for children who struggle?  I need help in identifying specific areas of academic weaknesses and strengths, but in children (teens) who would be more likely to qualify for a remediation or special education program instead of a gifted program.

It might be useful in conjunction with an achievement test (like Iowa test/ITBS, Stanford 10, Terra Nova). But if I had to pick just one test I would go with one of the achievement tests. The Stanford is not timed, can be done as an online test, and is shorter than ITBS. ITBS is timed (some sections rather tightly), and AFAIK only comes pencil/paper. I have used both. I used the Stanford for my ADHD kiddo because I think the "no time limit" gives a better picture of strengths/weaknesses. I use ITBS for my regular kiddos because it feels very thorough and comprehensive.

OLSAT isn't really an IQ test but it is used as a quick and dirty screener/surrogate for ability.

I would think if you are looking for what the child actually knows (achievement) you would want something like Stanford or ITBS or Terra Nova.

Or, if you are targeting a specific area (like math) and want quick and cheap, maybe the placement tests for various math curricula like Saxon or Singapore?

For high school kids maybe GED type materials?

HTH