Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bristayl

Do colleges consider 1 sem. college Spanish to equal 1 year high school Spanish?

I am not really asking how to represent dual credit on the transcript, and I realize this is probably an "ask the college" question. But I was wondering if anyone has any experience with a case where a selective college wanted to see four years of high school Spanish. If your student had taken Spanish by dual enrollment, did the end-point college consider 4 semesters of college Spanish to be the equivalent of four years of high school Spanish? Or did they really want to see Spanish taken each year of high school?

Do colleges consider 1 sem. college Spanish to equal 1 year high school Spanish?

Yes, pretty much. At least in my state anyway.

Generally, they should.  They may not if the dual enrollment college is known to have a weaker foreign language program.  I know one university that gets a lot of transfers from a particular cc and only gives Spanish I credit for completing three semesters there.  As always, call and ask the college. 

Yes, that would be correct. I called the admissions office at Colorado State University a few years ago and asked them this very question. They said that a one semester college course should get one (full year) high school credit on the high school transcript (if it's from dual enrollment.)