Menu

Saying Hi!

Osmosis Mom

Friends,

It's been a while! Jennifer alerted me that our WTM friends were sharing the Boston Globe article so I thought I should stop by and say hi. I have been very low key the last three years due to  the Revolution in Syria that very quickly turned into the worst humanitarian crisis of our lifetime, but incidentally right now am in a re-energizing phase to avoid burn-out and to keep the ship at home from sinking. Not that you would know from the outside that we are anything  but busy, but I have taken an emotional step back so that I can continue doing this for a long, long time.

Well, being a mother of eight and pretending to homeschool (I call it facilitate), you quickly learn how to recognize signs of burn out and rely on yourself anyways! My kids are growing up and not only are they doing ok, but they are turning into great human beings albeit not perfect ones (unlike their astounding Mother Dearest). I have always shared everything with my kids and I would say that has been some of what I most appreciated about homeschooling them.My kids have been very close to me during this process of helping Syria although we never strongly have identified as Syrians. However, we are Syrians and most importantly humans and because of personal ties and relationships we happen to feel the suffering and the longing for democracy and free speech which was what drew me into this uprising.

Actually, what really drew me in was the fact that kids initiated the non-violent reaction to total dictatorship when they wrote some graffiti asking for a regime change and instead were violently met with secret service agents and thrown in dungeon jails and tortured, but it was Hamza Al-Khateeb's death that was the last straw for me to emotionally get drawn in to this people's quest for freedom. Hamza was 13 and smuggling in baby milk to the town with the graffiti (Daraa) and was imprisoned and tortured. On the night he was going to get released fellow prisoners describe how he was asked to bow down onto the president's picture and pray to it (huge sin in Islam to have idols) and instead he actually peed on the photo, brave boy that he was, which resulted in his castration and extreme torture and subsequent death. And that was that for me. I had a 13 year old son at home, Yaman, and I was a mother myself.

Initially I set up events and rallies for Syria and always made sure to have a fundraising component, never wanting to miss an opportunity to help. I called myself a freelancer because I would ask different organizations to take on this or that project with funds raised and ensure no overhead was used. It quickly became a task and I was getting very little feedback from them while at the same time establishing networks and funding my own projects for medical support or baby milk. Finally right after doing five containers and having my husband push me forward I founded NuDay Syria and in five days had it up and running. 

Yes, I am busy and yes, I am learning on the go and having to use my extroverted side way more than I might like, but I am getting stuff done and see the results and savor each child whose hearts we fill with hope and each mother who feels encouraged and loved because others care. It means a lot to me that the people and recipients inside Syria and at the border in Turkey realize that the donors of our containers or funds for aid are fellow mothers and families from all sorts of backgrounds such as Muslim, non-Muslim, Syrian, American, and many other nationalities and cultural backgrounds. Even though I am focused very narrowly on Syrian mothers and children, then I feel very strongly that the cause is global and humanitarian and concerns all of us. Syria's coming generation of children (for years to come) will grow up with our kids and their horrific traumas and suffering as well as their daily grumbles for food will affect us all - and should concern us all. Both out of love and compassion and also out of rationality.

My youngest did her first few containers on my lap (don't recommend doing containers and coordinating several dozen people or more while lugging a screaming toddler around for ten hours) and since then tends to pick out  a new stuffed tiger for her collection when we do containers and of course a few weeks later donate a bag of her own toys (exchange of friends sharing toys and love basically). She did tell me one time when I happened to be cleaning out toys and items that "Syria's children have got enough toys now, mama" to which her older sisters scolded her and said, "No, Jumanah, there are a lot of kids that need toys!". So, yeah, my kids have been amazing and I could not have done this without them, really.

• Like 49

Thanks for updating!  It was uplifting (and depressing) to read the article yesterday.  Uplifting for what you are doing, of course, depressing that it needs to be done at all and that it only makes a dent.

I wish we Hive members could just plain fix the wrongs in this world.

Kudos to you for doing as much as you are!

• Like 3

Finally I am putting it together. I was trying to remember who "Nadia" was. If someone had said "Osmosis Mom" I would have known.

Many blessings on you and your family and continued strength to fight the good battle. Hope you can check in more often.

There are always ways to help, for sure!

We have a knitting group that makes squares ands ends them in and then we make those into blankets that are made with love and hope. Check it out at https://www.facebook.com/groups/knitsquaresforsyria/.

We do containers and receive donations from even far away places. Some people mail us a box of stuffed animals fx. and we include the box in our next container. Address would be NuDay Syria, 14 Ellyson Ave, East Hampstead NH 03826. Our website info is http://www.nudaysyria.net/containers.html.

Alternately then we have a wonderful wish list on Amazon where people order and get the items directly mailed to us with free shipping. Pretty painless! Check it out at http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/27U39581F9IPQ/ref=topnav_lists_1.

And of course we have financial fundraisers and need funds all the time. Some kids decide to donate their birthday towards fx. baby milk for starving babies or our school for Syrian refugee children that have been out of school for years. There are different things everyone can do and we try to make people feel connected as much as possible.

For general updates and to stay cool and in the loop, come like our facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/NudaySyria!

• Like 2

Nadia, would it be okay with you to send your information along to alumni groups of colleges that would very likely love to donate or help in some way? And also, to send your story to media so they could print it?

What you're doing is so important and I think partly what hinders people who want to help is the logistics of getting items to the Syrians or believing that a  small donation is too trivial.