Menu

Workboxes/Visual Checklist Schedule X-Posted

My ASD son is very much into 'Done two!, One more to go' type view of things :p So since we are moving onto something more complicated, I was thinking of having a clipboard chart that is like a pictorial Sue Dengate Workbox type thing, even though only a small fraction of his day is DIY, or maybe a MOTH type pictorial schedule that would include everyone for the day, with a way to add/remove done ones/change the schedule.(I can never get velcro to stick to lamination, even with a hot glue gun lol). Anybody have any ideas? I do have an IPAD (but its an original 1) but would prefer something paper that doesn't require charging and is always viewable. I had planned to do a moth type schedule (5 different ones for each day of school) so I can jump between each person anyway. Thoughts?

Something that you could try, is the magnets that are probably holding some business cards on your fridge?

A4 sheets of the magnets can be bought for about $5.

Or they can be bought pre-cut.

They have the adhesive on them, where you just peel off the paper backing.

Though with the images that you use, it would be better to have your son choose which ones to use, so that they will have real meaning to him.

Maybe he could also draw some, or take photos and print and cut them out to use.

• Like 1

Try this thread and see if it gets you anywhere.  http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/551790-screen-time-in-routines/?p=6360573

I'm sweating through it myself, very slowly trying to make some visual schedules.  I think the reason it's so flummoxing is that you have a number of options that can be helpful.  Each one has it's own niche and why you would use it.  I thought I needed to pick ONE and have that ONE be it, kwim?  However I've been piecing together the info at the links I put in that post in that thread with what I saw when I toured an autism charter school recently.  I don't think it's about ONE.  I think you use those different tools as components to create a composite approach.  

In the school they had an overall flow for the day on the wall with time cards.  So there was each hour or half our or whatever, and beside each one there was a picture/word card telling them what was happening that hour.  That way they knew the overall plan for the day.  Then they had a notebook.  The notebook had page protectors with sheets inside, and the velcro thingies were put on the page protectors.  I haven't tried it yet, but I *assume* it works since I actually saw it there working.  I'm sorry it wasn't sticking to your laminated pages.  Maybe try the page protectors and see what happens?  

So anyways, within the notebook and pages approach they used MULTIPLE methodologies.  All these things you read about like first/then, 3 then 2, pick 5, etc. they could do.  So they had a first page that was the consistent morning routine, basically a checklist.  That one was fixed.  Then maybe a page with a first/then.  Then maybe a pick 5.  Each thing was on the next page, so you could use multiple structures to make the day flow.  That way you could say we're going to use the first page of our fixed morning routine part but then we're going on a field trip or to an appointment and won't use the other three pages, kwim?  I liked that idea of flexibility.  If you make one great chart for the day, it falls apart when something changes.  This way you have a modular approach and can rearrange.

So within the pick 5 and whatnot, you're using pictures and can color code by outlining the pictures and the boxes.  What I've been doing is figuring out what those categories are for us, for him right now where he is, and then making lists of the options for those categories.  Then, if we need more pics to use new materials, it's not hard to add, kwim?  

So what I'm toying with right now for pages is:

-fixed morning routine (dress, eat, room check, Bible time)

-first/then (bodywork, then math)

-sensory break/snack

-you pick/I pick with a 5 frame

Something like that.  And each of those would be a separate page in the notebook, meaning you'd do the page then flip to the next page.  That way the part we ALWAYS do can get done, then we can oops out of time this is the part we'll get to.  For the 5 frame, I liked the 3/2 with a sensory break there.  So it's easy with that kind of structure to weave those in, kwim?  It would be really ugly and fixed to try to do that with a paper schedule the way I would use with my older dd.  Ds' needs are just more complex.

He really likes the idea of this and says his big thing is he wants choice.  I think with the 5 frame as color categories it will let us have that flexibility.  And maybe we even work on that flexibility by having days where we use a wild card and then can pick from any category.  I just think it would help ME.  I have so many ideas of things I want to do with him and struggle with my oomph.  

I bought some bins to use as the work system at the IU link.  I had read about the Sue whoever workboxes, but honestly hers are too small the drawers too small and hidden too.  They need to be bigger bins.  The IU link shows that.  So I got the bins but haven't decided if we'll do them or not.  For me, what I had to finally realize was that as much as I like the workbox approach, reality is it's better for running a discrete segment of your day than necessarily the whole day, at least if you have complex situations.  If you have a dc who will just sit down and work through a sequence of 7 drawers or bins, more power to you.  I keep wanting to think that will work, and I keep realizing it might not.  It works for a shorter segment/sequence WITHIN a larger approach, kwim?  That's why I was saying, for me, it was helpful to finally realize I had all these tools and that I should pick the ones that I could put together to customize and create what I need right now.  I don't have to take a simplistic approach (all of your day in 7 drawers) if my needs are more nuanced, kwim?  I can use that idea for a *portion* of our approach within a larger approach that is more powerful.  And if working through 7 drawers solves someone's problem, that's fine too.  I'm finding I need more tools, routines and then sub-routines within the routines.  The more we get that, the more peace we have.

And just as a little success dance, I'll tell you my ds can now put away his laundry (with enough time, we've been working on it for a year and a half or more) AND he can pack his swim bag!  We're using visual schedules now for those, and they're AWESOME. My next one will be for his room check routine. I'm hanging them in page protectors at the appropriate place. They're really so easy to make too.  You just snap the pics of the items with your camera and then pull them into your word processor program and put them in order and draw arrows.  I'm rather pleased, hehe...   :D

• Like 2

Heather, show us pictures of what you're doing!   :)  Some of those links show strips on a ring.  I think that's for older students.  I've forgotten the age of the op's dc, but that could be appropriate.  

post-41744-0-03972100-1433180668_thumb.jpg

*Fuzzy pic...

I place whatever work needs to be completed on the pink cards with the ring.  P chooses the order of work.  You could change colors of the cards depending upon the time of day or type of work you want completed.  I made a slew of tiny activity squares to include puzzles, art, movies, and chores.  Once the subject is completed, the picture is moved to the white chart.  Until 3rd quarter, her curriculum was stored in the cart, but we shifted to the kitchen and living room to complete work.  I have used a 3-drawer cart, metal magazine holders from Ikea, and a milk crate to store materials.  Completed work is placed on an inbox located atop the 3 drawer cart.  

P is still little so most her work requires my direct involvement.  I think she likes the cards so that she knows my expectations for the day.  We don't really need the workbox system now, but I expect to move towards it more fully once we are done with phonics.  It's not really that exciting.

• Like 2