Menu

Memoria Press PreK vs. Horizons PreK

Cynful

Let me start off saying no, I don't need either - he learns ALOT all on his own and with us just reading.  I just want a little structure and outline to go from or nothing.will.get.done.  I NEED planned out right now and both of these fit the bill.  However, I can't decide which I like more.  Has anyone looked at both or used both and have an opinion?  

Thank you - it's been a long time since preschool with my teens... :)

I just decided on MP's Preschool program for my dd for next year! I was looking for something that was literature based, so I went back and forth between Sonlight and MP, but finally decided on MP since the lessons are planned out for each day and tell me exactly what to do. (SL preschool is very free-form/unplanned but the pre-k is more structured)

I've done FIAR before, which was fine but, again, the planning is a pain when you have more than one kiddo.

I'll also be getting the recommend MP read alouds the library, so economically it works as well.

I didn't consider Horizons because it's not literature based and uses mostly worksheets, which I already own in abundance. ;)

Have fun with your preschooler!

• Like 1

Horizons is not open and go. It's lessons plans are written in paragraph form and is geared to a preschool class. I found the additional supply list cumbersome and for what you did with some of the items not worth the headache of tracking down. The few activities we did end up doing were enjoyable but we having to next so much out of the curriculum it was not worth it and gave up after two weeks.

Next year I'm debating on Memoria Press Junior Kindergarten and Moving beyond the page 4-5.

We just finished MPs JrK program. Yes, it is scheduled for 2 days per week, but it is modeled after their brick-and-mortar JrK program and the 2 days are scheduled for almost 4 hours long each. We split the plans up into 4 days/week and it worked beautifully. Like you, I know they don't NEED anything this young, but we really enjoyed the program. We spent 60-90 mins per day, and that was with interruptions from the littles :) On to Kindergarten!

• Like 2

I didn't consider Horizons because it's not literature based and uses mostly worksheets, which I already own in abundance. ;)

I agree.  Horizons does look like a solid program and its tempted me several times, but I love the beauty and richness of MP curriculum and Horizons just doesn't come close to that.  

MP has beautiful art, music, poetry and literature.  Not to mention solid phonics and math.  Horizons does have great math and phonics, but the other components are lacking, IMO.

• Like 1

I agree.  Horizons does look like a solid program and its tempted me several times, but I love the beauty and richness of MP curriculum and Horizons just doesn't come close to that.  

MP has beautiful art, music, poetry and literature.  Not to mention solid phonics and math.  Horizons does have great math and phonics, but the other components are lacking, IMO.

Does it have all that in the PreK program?  I need to look closer.  

Does it have all that in the PreK program?  I need to look closer.  

No. With MP, Phonics starts in K. Art = crafts. Music is typical kids' music. Once you get into the K program, MP gets into classical music and famous art pieces. K also introduces Rod and Staff Math and a very full Phonics program.

The horizons preschool for the worbook (they have 2) looks amazing and fun and I am going to get it for my next 3 yo but I can't speak to either as a whole program, hmm is that like the definition of unhelpful?? Well anyways they have the look inside feature on the horizons page s I have done that.

• Like 1

I used Horizons Preschool with my daughter and while we enjoyed it, it was definitely not open and go.  What we did of it we enjoyed but we didn't do as much as I had hoped because it still involved a fair amount of planning.  I needed my hand held more than it provided.  I may be able to handle it now that I have more experience under my belt but that's my $.02. :)

• Like 1

I used Horizons Preschool with my daughter and while we enjoyed it, it was definitely not open and go.  What we did of it we enjoyed but we didn't do as much as I had hoped because it still involved a fair amount of planning.  I needed my hand held more than it provided.  I may be able to handle it now that I have more experience under my belt but that's my $.02. :)

I hadn't realized this.  Can you elaborate on what you needed to prepare?  Just wondering, not sure how much of my own "planning" I want to do.

I seem to be drawn to alot of programs.  I'm a veteran of this stuff; you'd think I'd know better.  

I like MP PreK, Horizons (maybe), Preschool Plus, Sonlight P4/5 and HOD LHTH.  I like Charlotte Mason philosophy, lit based, but have some academics in there (worksheets) because they are easy and he likes them.  FIAR is great too.  And I don't even really NEED any of this.  LOL   :)  

Thanks for thinking through it all with me,

• Like 1

I could wax poetic about P4/5 if anyone wants me to.... just saying since you mentioned it! :D

But you have to add in the worksheety academic component, unless you are satisfied with DEL.

Well.... since you don't mind talking about it, I'm all :bigear: .  I already have P4/5 - I should just use it and forget the others.  First rule, use what you have.... and all.  :)  

I had horizons PreK. It was not open and go.

The additional supply list. Having to hunt all those things done was really hard. It was me, the preschooler and a new baby. We had one car at the time that hubby used to go to work, we were basically stuck at home expect on the weekends. It wouldn't have been so bad if you reused thing more than once, but the box of envelopes you only need one envelope.

The lessons plans were written with a class in mind. Once I crossed off or modified it to just one child the bulk of the lessons were lost. I felt I would be better off with something else.

Ultimately made a list of fifty odd books from around the house or from the library, looked up or made up two or three activities for each book choosing activities with a very limited supply list running in the back of my mind. Daily we did a page from ETC primers, a worksheet from a math workbook, and a coloring book page. Read a book, do an activity. Then I set him loose to play with blocks and Legos. 

• Like 1

Not that it matters, but just to update.... I've decided to use what I already have which is Sonlight P4/5 and add in HWT, some math and letter activities, and, if he's ready, AAR Prelevel.  

I really do appreciate everyone's responses here.  I tend to get a little over zealous with curriculum.  :)  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...