Menu

LDS Apostle L. Tom Perry has passed

PinkTulip

I got to hear him speak in person when I was in college. The chapel was packed, as were all of the over-flow areas. When he got up to speak (and he got UP! He was a tall guy!) he called out a young man he'd seen give up his seat in the front part of the chapel (the only part that had the padded pews) to a very pregnant young woman who had also come to hear him speak. The guy had gone to one of the overflow rooms instead, but came back into the chapel and Elder Perry told him he could sit in *his* seat, since he wouldn't be needing it while he was giving his address. :lol:

• Like 5

he spoke at a "special" stake conference in February.  first time he spoke after the fall he had.  he made jokes about it.  He told our SP he wanted to speak, so never mind we had SC two weeks previously - we had another one.  :)

He was always so cheerful, great sense of humor.  great man.  very wise.

He was a great man and will be missed!

Honestly, as I was watching last conference, I couldn't help but think that a few of our leaders seem to be getting close to the end of their earthly ministry. I wonder if others will be joining him soon.

• Like 1

He was a great man and will be missed!

Honestly, as I was watching last conference, I couldn't help but think that a few of our leaders seem to be getting close to the end of their earthly ministry. I wonder if others will be joining him soon.

Yes.  I've been wondering the same thing.  It had been 5 years since there were any changes.  That's a long time, particularly considering how old some of those men are.  There are a few that I would not be surprised if they died over the next few months.  It's hard to be way too sad when a great person who lived an amazing life and to a very advanced age dies.

• Like 1

I was surprised to read that today because they just announced he was going into hospice care a day or two ago. But I have to say I'm glad he didn't linger in pain for days and weeks. He lived a long, full life and had some time to say goodbye. I'll miss his voice at conference.

• Like 2

Yes. I've been wondering the same thing. It had been 5 years since there were any changes. That's a long time, particularly considering how old some of those men are. There are a few that I would not be surprised if they died over the next few months. It's hard to be way too sad when a great person who lived an amazing life and to a very advanced age dies.

I was able to attend Neil maxwell 's funeral. It had been 10 years before that.

I just returned from Stake Conference, and Elder Oaks was our speaker.  He said that Elder Perry attended their Tuesday meeting, and participated in it.  Then he called on Wednesday and told Elder Oaks what his doctors said, and that he wouldn't be able to work with them anymore.  Elder Oaks and Elder Ballard went to visit him at his home today at noon, and he told them that he didn't feel he would be here much longer.  Then Elder Oaks got the call that Elder Perry had passed away at 3 pm.  He shared some wonderful stories about their friendship and how much he loved and respected him.  It was very touching.

• Like 6

I saw that today.  I'm sorry for the loss for all of our LDS board members.  I think yesterday I received an email from Deseret News that said something along the lines that his cancer was terminal, but I was really shocked to get the email today saying he had passed away.

Sorry for your loss.

• Like 5