Menu

Jim Bob and Michelle giving tv interview

gingersmom

I DVR'd last night's show & Megyn Kelly spent a great deal of time railing for the local PD chief to be fired for releasing the record in the first place.

She quoted the statute, which was clear that juvenile arrest records were sealed, but juvenile police reports were not.  She would understand the distinction as an attorney, so I'm guessing she's solidly on the side of the Duggars and tonight's interview will be at least partially about filing a lawsuit against the local PD.  Sigh.

• Like 2

The Duggars need to hire Dennis Hastert's PR person. I'm astonished how that story has been buried considering that it's about blackmail and child molestation by a teacher. It should have blown up like the Penn State scandal and, so far, almost nothing.

Speaking of Hastert, The New Yorker has an article about him (and others) here.

• Like 1

I DVR'd last night's show & Megyn Kelly spent a great deal of time railing for the local PD chief to be fired for releasing the record in the first place.

She quoted the statute, which was clear that juvenile arrest records were sealed, but juvenile police reports were not.  She would understand the distinction as an attorney, so I'm guessing she's solidly on the side of the Duggars and tonight's interview will be at least partially about filing a lawsuit against the local PD.  Sigh.

Just speculating, but if she makes it about a possible lawsuit, I can see that be a great way for the Duggars to spin their story. She encourages them to sue, they humbly refuse, saying they've forgiven those that have wronged them, and they make the whole thing about forgiveness.

• Like 2

Additionally, if they are successful in helping the Duggars do damage control for their currently tarnished image,

That's the faulty assumption I'm addressing.  There is no chance of this being successfully spun on a large scale.  A smart PR person would know that.  The only thing that could calm it on a large scale is some sort of "We we wrong.  We're sorry. We're going away now. " No one in the "Duggar parents are bad" camp is going to be moved otherwise. You don't get hired as a PR person by making the side that agrees with your clients happy, you get hired when can get those against your clients calmed or on your side.  That's not possible in this situation without indicating some sort of sorrow.

• Like 3

The Duggars need to hire Dennis Hastert's PR person. I'm astonished how that story has been buried considering that it's about blackmail and child molestation by a teacher. It should have blown up like the Penn State scandal and, so far, almost nothing.

Word. GO AWAY and SHUT UP! The Duggars really do not get it. This interview, which I will not watch, will do them no favors. There aren't enough FOX devotees alive to get their show reinstated.

• Like 1

Just speculating, but if she makes it about a possible lawsuit, I can see that be a great way for the Duggars to spin their story. She encourages them to sue, they humbly refuse, saying they've forgiven those that have wronged them, and they make the whole thing about forgiveness.

:scared:  ....good grief. I can see them saying this. It's all about them...not the kids. :cursing:

• Like 3

This isn't about damage eradication, making people who don't agree with you start to agree.  This is about damage control and minimization, so trying to change the subject. If the parents can get themselves seen as victims so much the better. The best would be to get Joshua seen as a redeemed. I very much believe their goal is to get him into politics, at minimum a senator, so they are going to have to paddle like hell to make that happen now. Most of that redemption language will go over my head. I don't speak evangelical

There is an old trial lawyer saying along the lines of: when the facts aren't in your favour, argue the emotions, when the emotions of a case run against you, stick to the facts. Let's see which they pick.

• Like 6

On a related note, I am wondering how many people want to/plan to watch the Bates' TV show. I just saw the trailers for that. I would seriously not want to be the Bates family right now and have to follow the Duggars. I also hope there is not the slightest whiff of impropriety in the Bates family.

• Like 3

I have no opinion on this story EXCEPT for the fact that juvenile records are supposed to be sealed & held permanently confidential. How is this out & how is it legal to be released??

You're wrong.  Juvenile ARREST records are supposed to be sealed.  This wasn't an arrest record, it was a police report that stated the statute of limitations had already passed.  Police reports are public record.

On a related note, I am wondering how many people want to/plan to watch the Bates' TV show. I just saw the trailers for that. I would seriously not want to be the Bates family right now and have to follow the Duggars. I also hope there is not the slightest whiff of impropriety in the Bates family.

I probably would watch it, but I think it's on UP, and we don't get that channel.  Unless they're moving the show back to TLC?

• Like 2

Although, if they do back out now everyone will assume they have something to hide. 

• Like 2

I caught a segment of The Five on Fox today and both Greg Gutfeld and Kimberly Guilfoyle were pretty vocally against what happened and how JB and Michelle handled it.  Not one word was said about the police report being wrongly released or any discussion of politics.  I was pleasantly surprised.  And I thought Juan Williams was going to be against what happened but he seemed the most sympathetic. Eric and Dana didn't comment. 

I saw a bit of the interview and I still think it's just going to be nonsense. But at least I have hope that all of Fox isn't on the Poor Duggar bandwagon. 

• Like 1

Some more info on the interview from Daily Mail (I know, I know).  Jessa and Jill will also talk about how being molested by their brother affected them.

Quote from the "article:" "You know, here we've tried to raise our kids... to do what's right, to know what's right... and yet, one of our children made really bad choices. I think, as a parent, we were devastated."

I still cannot believe that the thing they're focusing on is Josh's "mistakes" and not their culpability in failing to prevent further abuse.

• Like 2

Maybe she is on the side of the Duggars, I don't know, she's certainly giving them a platform tonight. From last night I gathered she was on the side of the VICTIMS. That's the real problem in these stories coming out. It's obvious who the victims are, and now we're hearing a lot about what's none of our business. 

This is the first time I've heard the Duggars speak since I've never seen the show. Actually before this week I wouldn't have recognized a picture of them if they weren't accompanied by 19 kids. I wonder if she'll ask how a REALITY SHOW makes any sense in this situation.

The dad just said they talked with other families who described "similar situations" in their own families and some "far worse." If accurate, wow, even more appalling! Or maybe they're just trying to make their own family seem not so bad, I don't know. I'm assuming he's referring to other families of their religious persuasion.

To me, the publication of the Duggar police report/tabloid reporting are a second victimization for the girls. (and quite frankly so is the Kelly interview, but I find myself watching it anyway) Same thing with the Lena Dunham book -- you molest your sister once. Then you inflict additional trauma years later with your book and attendant publicity. Yes I know the sister claims to be fine with it. I would question that.

This Duggar thing is a circus. 

Okay, Megyn Kelly just asked the reality show question. Answer coming after the break!

Wow. Their take-away was that "boys don't baby-sit young ones, little ones don't sit on boy's laps, two don't play hide-and-seek and go off alone..." Holy heck. This is not a fear that most parents need to have. I can't say fear of molestation has ever come into play when brothers and sisters are playing hide-and-seek at home.

• Like 27

I keep expecting them to get hit by lightning, or something.

This seems terribly self-serving, in not in their kids' interests at all.

Is there any licensed counselor out there who would think this is a good idea????

• Like 2

I keep expecting them to get hit by lightning, or something.

This seems terribly self-serving, in not in their kids' interests at all.

Is there any licensed counselor out there who would think this is a good idea????

JimBoob and Michele  have a track record of doing things that are self-serving and not in the kids' best interests. Didn't expect this to be any different.

• Like 3

I'm so bummed we don't really have TV/cable, so I can't watch. Part of me just can't look away from the train wreck, the other part of me (which saw the promo clip on the Fox website) says that I couldn't handle all the hairspray, raised eyebrows, "Ohmygoodness-ness," and whining. I think I'd have it off and on too, if I could only get it on. I'm really most interested in how Megyn handles it in the end.

• Like 1

Michelle is beside herself because the police betrayed the children's trust. Well, how about the trust the girls had in their parents? Talk about betrayal!!!

They're saying Josh confessed on his own....this sounds like a kid who was looking for help. And not getting it. And they said he paid for his own counseling. OMG. He was raised in that household...which back when he was a little kid was much more To Train up a Child than they'd like us to know, and they have him pay for his own counseling.   Mother of the year indeed. 

• Like 12

"It was just like a bad thing, that we would like to forget."  -Jim Bob

Yeah, wouldn't we all, but you keep showing up on National Television!!!

ETA: Oh, please tell me, Jill and Jessa are not going to be on! These poor girls! They're supposed to be women and they're going on like the sacrificial lambs to do their duty for big brother. Sheesh!

• Like 9

I am reasonably satisfied with Megyn's handling of it. No, she is not playing ferocious hardball, but she is also not avoiding the many questions we have been discussing here; i.e., did they get licensed actual counseling, what did they do to protect the kids after the admission, why did they pursue a TV show after this has happened, etx.

Everything JBoob and M said fits well with what I expected. Although I was surprised that the conclusion they draw is that boys are even less trustworthy than they already thought.

• Like 5

Another thing I am now sad for this family about is the lack of relationships. My closest sibling (and one of my best friends) was one of my brothers. I cannot imagine growing up in a family where girls and boys were supposed to keep their distance because the boys might be bad, which is what I took away from their statements regarding their safeguards. I just don't understand how these children can grow up with any idea of what is normal or healthy if this is how their parents actually parent them.

• Like 20

This just makes me sick. I have no way to watch, but I can't believe they're pulling the victim card and NOT for the girls. 

I wonder if they realize how much this will turn off people to religion and, God forbid, please don't mention homeschooling! 

• Like 12

Another thing I am now sad for this family about is the lack of relationships. My closest sibling (and one of my best friends) was one of my brothers. I cannot imagine growing up in a family where girls and boys were supposed to keep their distance because the boys might be bad, which is what I took away from their statements regarding their safeguards. I just don't understand how these children can grow up with any idea of what is normal or healthy if this is how their parents actually parent them.

:iagree:

Michelle is beside herself because the police betrayed the children's trust. Well, how about the trust the girls had in their parents? Talk about betrayal!!!

They're saying Josh confessed on his own....this sounds like a kid who was looking for help. And not getting it. And they said he paid for his own counseling. OMG. He was raised in that household...which back when he was a little kid was much more To Train up a Child than they'd like us to know, and they have him pay for his own counseling.   Mother of the year indeed. 

I didn't see the show, I just can't watch the Duggars say anything ugh, but I did read the police report. Josh did not confess on his own. The girls went and said something was happening. They are masters at rewriting history.

• Like 9

I am reasonably satisfied with Megyn's handling of it. No, she is not playing ferocious hardball, but she is also not avoiding the many questions we have been discussing here; i.e., did they get licensed actual counseling, what did they do to protect the kids after the admission, why did they pursue a TV show after this has happened, etx.

Everything JBoob and M said fits well with what I expected. Although I was surprised that the conclusion they draw is that boys are even less trustworthy than they already thought.

I was nauseated by the 'don't let boys babysit' and other such sentiments.  Their other boys have probably suffered a great deal because of these rules they put in place- no hide and seek with just two, no little sisters on your lap, etc. What message does that send to the boys? Or to the girls for that matter. 

I think Megyn did softball them, though.  The interview led us to believe the kids got counseling when the events happened but I don't think that's true. The police report stated that there was not counseling for Josh at the work program- Michelle said the guy wasn't a counselor but more of a mentor. I think after that police report was taken the family was referred to whatever family and children's services is called in Arkansas and they got involved and required it.  That would coincide with the court case a year later- whether that's when it was ordered or when they provided proof the counseling had been given.   It's just annoying that MK is letting them get by with some of this.

But I admit that she was slightly harder on them than I expected. 

• Like 5

If people don't realize by now that this is a problem across all walks of life, there's no help for them. Did everyone get turned off football after the Jerry Sandusky stuff?

The NFL doesn't present itself as the superior moral code, or publicly call out soccer players for being inherently untrustworthy while raising the next freakin' Pele. 

• Like 6

And they said he paid for his own counseling. OMG. He was raised in that household...which back when he was a little kid was much more To Train up a Child than they'd like us to know, and they have him pay for his own counseling.   Mother of the year indeed. 

WHAT??  That is hideous.  That's not liking making your kid pay for an item they stole from the store.  Molesting a child is indication of a mental disturbance.  

Did they say anything about counseling for the girls?  I have been wondering about that..

I didn't see the show, I just can't watch the Duggars say anything ugh, but I did read the police report. Josh did not confess on his own. The girls went and said something was happening. They are masters at rewriting history.

Then MK should have pounced on that because they made it clear that Josh came to them and that the girls were asleep and didn't know except for the incident of the girl on his lap and 'one more'. They said the girls didn't even know until JB and Michelle told them. 

I thought in the police report Josh told them about a couple of them.  But yeah, they are quite the revisionist couple. 

WHAT??  That is hideous.  That's not liking making your kid pay for an item they stole from the store.  Molesting a child is indication of a mental disturbance.  

Did they say anything about counseling for the girls?  I have been wondering about that..

I'll bet you dollars to donuts "counselling" focused on memorizing and meditating on bible verses that conveniently have to do with forgiveness. 

• Like 8

I was nauseated by the 'don't let boys babysit' and other such sentiments.  Their other boys have probably suffered a great deal because of these rules they put in place- no hide and seek with just two, no little sisters on your lap, etc. What message does that send to the boys? Or to the girls for that matter. 

I agree that is horrible, but straight out of that ATI stuff about not letting boys change diapers, etc.

• Like 2

There is no family without skeletons in the closet.  The viewing audience has no business to expect otherwise.

I hope they don't have child molestation in there, but then again, I believe most child victims keep it secret for various lengths of time.  So they might have something as ugly as that and not even know.

The NFL doesn't present itself as the superior moral code, or publicly call out soccer players for being inherently untrustworthy while raising the next freakin' Pele. 

So people aren't turned off by the actions, they're turned off by the "superior moral code?"

Personally, I'm turned off by the ACTIONS, and lack of appropriate REACTION by the parents.

The superior moral code is the Bible, and everyone interprets that differently.

• Like 2