Menu

Where do you start with music? And are lessons worthwhile for little kids?

I am completely clueless about music. DH was in band and could play several wind instruments, but I'm sure would be very rusty now. It's important to DH for the kids to know music, and I agree, but we have no idea where to start. We keep meaning to but it hasn't happened yet. I signed DS up for a charter school specifically to use the funds, $1000 per semester, for extracurriculars. We are thinking something like karate and swimming and music. Where would you start with music? Is it worthwhile to do lessons for a 5-6 year old? Or should he just start off with home instruction? If the lessons were free would you do them? Of course in this sense they are free but could be at the expense of something else so trying to figure out what would be the best use of funds. If you wait what age to start lessons? What program would you start doing at home?

DH is leaning towards DS starting with piano or violin, but he doesn't know how to play either. We were given a used keyboard if that would be ok to start with for piano but would have to get a violin. I'm assuming go to a music store and get him fitted for the right size?

Google "Little Mozarts". They are really cute books that both my kids used to learn beginner piano. They are geared for age 4-6 I think, my son started with them when he was 6 and he's just finishing now at 8.  There is a whole story line that goes with the music, and CD's, etc. Easy enough that even if you don't have any music background at all you could do it. 

I put my younger daughter in group piano lessons this year and I regret it. She was too young. I'm just going to use the books at home next year instead with her.

My son started piano lessons in Grade 2 and that was a great time to start.

• Like 2

My kids did Kindermusik as preschoolers, then began choir at church when they were 4. They love choir and learn lots. Nice to have a group music activity, for sure. Free is nice too!

We started them on piano at age 7 and for our family that was good timing. Dd was able to jump in quickly and move very quickly through the first few books. Ds just needed the maturity and some ability to sit still - no how could he have started at 5.

We take them to hear lots of live music of all kinds and listen to lots of different music and do some composer study.

My daughter did violin for a year from 3-4yo, then wanted to stop. This fall, we are putting her in "Meet the Instruments" lessons, which are lessons that cover a wide variety of instruments for a basic introduction/exposure. After some amount of time with those lessons, I figure she will choose an instrument to have lessons in again.

So short answer, yes, I find instrument lessons worthwhile for younger children.

I did a lot of hands-on music and rhythm/percussion fun activities with my dc when they were very young. We listened to Classical Kids Series CDs (Beethoven Lives Upstairs) as well. When my dc were between the ages of 5 - 7 they began formal, private music lessons on piano or violin. They've been taking private and group lessons ever since, as well as singing in choirs and taking up another instrument to play in a local concert band at age 10. Music education is a large part of our children's education.

Violin is a great instrument to start with a young child, but it is very difficult and takes a long time before they start sounding good. Not to mention being expensive to purchase or rent a quality instrument which you will have to replace when they need the next size up when they grow. Piano is nice because the child can make a beautiful sound right at the beginning of their musical journey, and once you have a good piano it fits the student(s) for a long time. Guitar is another great instrument to start playing at a fairly early age, and it's less expensive to purchase than a violin. It's also quicker to make a nice sound (which is also softer than the violin). 

No matter what instrument you choose for your child, music education is a wonderful thing!

• Like 1

I think good music teachers will meet with you and your child beforehand to assess the child for readiness. At least, that's the impression I've gotten from reading threads here. And that's what the instructor did when my son joined karate.

I'm also ignorant in music, but DH knows some but is rusty. I've had great success with My First Piano Adventures. Its cutesy and fun, and really walks the student (and you!) through everything. There are hand and arm exercises disguised as fun action songs to get the child to focus on technique. And on their website you can look up additional teacher notes about the lessons. The accompanying CD is great even on its own; the songs are fun just for listening to and make good review of past concepts.

My plan is to teach piano at home using this series and then putting him in private violin lessons at age five, because that's when I can enroll him in a charter for the funds like you are. Also, you may want to check the prices of the lessons and activities in your area. In my area, $1000 a semester would not cover all three of those activities, unless at least two of them were group classes instead of private. Music lessons are definitely the most expensive here. Just mentioning it in case it will affect your decision.

Where would you start with music?

At the very beginning... the very best place to start... when you read you begin with A-B-C... when you sing, you begin with do-re-mi (DO RE MI).

Sorry, couldn't help it. :)

Is it worthwhile to do lessons for a 5-6 year old?

Completely and totally depends on the child. I believe it was worth it for my children because they are both learning a lot from reading the scales. They don't have the attention but they do have the fine motor control and abstract thought for that age to begin with music and really enjoy it.

Or should he just start off with home instruction?

I think there is a lot you could do at home, but ideally you'd have a program, because music can get pretty theoretical pretty fast and it's nice to have some guidance on which concepts to expose them to.

If the lessons were free would you do them?

Yes. Oh my gosh yes. Unless the class were full of disruptive children or if my child had a particular gift that needed time to develop, and the free class were interfering with that (which is not the case with my kids), I cannot see passing up a free class.

Of course in this sense they are free but could be at the expense of something else so trying to figure out what would be the best use of funds. If you wait what age to start lessons?

See above. I think that some children, a percentage, I don't know what percentage, maybe between 15 and 5%, benefit from lessons as early as 4-5. For the vast majority of people, simple exposure to music through a parks and rec program or some of the programs listed above, will suffice. I started my kids because I love music, they love music, and it's a great place for them to be challenged and to learn hard work since they don't qualify for gifted services or anything like that. So we add on music and language which are inherently difficult systems.

What program would you start doing at home?

I can't answer this. :)

DH is leaning towards DS starting with piano or violin, but he doesn't know how to play either. We were given a used keyboard if that would be ok to start with for piano but would have to get a violin. I'm assuming go to a music store and get him fitted for the right size?

We did not have good luck having my daughter fitted at the music store. I would strongly hesitate starting a child on violin without a good teacher. So, so much success in that instrument depends on form and habits which begin early. As others have said, it's challenging. My little one insisted on a string instrument so I gave in. She's pretty good for her age but it is HARD. I would not recommend a string instrument for a child who does not really, really want to play a string instrument. We rented for the first month on a trial basis. But she hasn't given up.

Moreover, if you're paying for lessons, you need to consistently practice. This is something I learned here and I really do think it has helped us. You can SEE when the kids don't practice. I mention this because your kids are small. Are you really going to be able to do at least 4-5 days of 10 - 15 minutes of practice per day for the price you're paying the teacher? If not, then it might not be time to start.

My wee one wanted to do guitar but no guitar teachers outside of the big-box group lesson places would take a child under eight, and even those places said six was the youngest, and then an older six, because they wanted the hands to develop more before developing those special muscles. I got much of the same advice regarding the trumpet which was another choice of hers. They wanted the jaw to develop. As an adult learning guitar I feel pretty strongly that a child would have to be exceptionally gifted for me to be willing to put them on an instrument that required so much special muscle coordination. Guitarists and any instrumentalist can develop stress injuries after prolonged practice and particularly without good form. I think that ensuring that children are playing appropriate instruments and learning proper form is extremely important--like not pushing a tiny child too hard in gymnastics or other sports. There is a tendency in our all or nothing society to push kids early, but I think that it should only be done carefully, and you should look out for people taking advantage. True, you do see little tiny ones playing violin, but what percentage of children can really learn that? How many of them will grow up to play violin for a living, and how many will burn out? Not trying to discourage you, but to give some perspective. For the vast majority of people, music and sport will be an enjoyable luxury to have in life, dependent on their health. There is no point rushing things like violin, dribbling a soccer ball, or anything like that. You just want them to be comfortable with the environment, the language, and to try it out. I personally think that's the most important.

That said I did make my little ones practice their 10 - 15 tonight. 20 not including theory discussions. 10 minutes of actually going through it. It was a tough night.

• Like 1

Music lessons are worthwhile for little kids . . . if they practice. If your child isn't excited about the instrument or doesn't have a good attention span yet (& my ds sure didn't at 5), then it's going to be harder for practice to happen.

My kids have all started singing with the children's choir at church when they were 4. They do a Christmas choir every year starting at age 6. We also tend to expose them to a lot of music naturally: trips to the symphony & ballet, instruments in the house, attending the annual "musical zoo" at the children's museum, etc. My daughters both started piano at 6, and they were ready at that age. The older one started a second instrument at 9, and she was ready to handle practice for two instruments at that point. My oldest son started piano at 7; I don't think he would have been ready at 6. Even at 7, he needed a lot of encouragement and support when he practiced. He is now my serious piano student (piano lover). Older dd considers piano a supplement to her second instrument; younger dd considers piano a supplement to singing/choir.

In your situation, I probably wouldn't jump straight into instrument lessons . . . and I definitely wouldn't choose an instrument for a child. I would look around for a general children's music class, a choir, or some other setting that allows kids to play around with a variety of instruments. You might want to take him to a child-friendly symphony performance or to a child-friendly ballet that has a live symphony (think Nutcracker or Peter & the Wolf). Many symphonies also hold an "instrument zoo" before matinee performances where children can try out various instruments. Watch to see what your son connects with. Expensive private lessons can wait until 6 or 7 or 8 when he has found an instrument he is feeling excited about. He will make much quicker progress if he is excited at that age than he would with an instrument chosen for him at 5.

• Like 1

I teach piano, and when parents of potential students as me about starting piano, my first question is generally about how the child is reading. Yes, a young non-reading child (4-5yo) can certainly learn piano. But, because they are not reading the parent will generally need to sit in on, and guide, every single practice session at home. A reading child can work from an assignment sheet to follow practice instructions, and also read the practice direction in their music book, so much of the practice can be done independently. So, because of that I encourage starting piano when a child is reading, or beginning to read. As far as progress is concerned, a child who starts later usually progresses quicker, and quickly matches or exceeds the progress of a child that starts younger.

Hope that helps!

• Like 2

Of the two instruments, I would go with the keyboard and maybe get the Little Mozart book 1. I have all four books and it is easy enough to learn from the books without a teacher. My hubby was in band too and plays the clarinet and self teaching piano so kids have exposure since birth to music practice.

My oldest asked for a cello at 3 but we couldn't find a teacher so we started him on violin. Even though he like strings, it was hard work. We stop violin after a year and it's back to cello (his first choice). Violin is also costly in upkeep in terms of getting the correct size, strings replacements and my youngest damage the violin bow so we ended up with two violins and one usable bow.

My youngest started flute at 9 and it was just nice. He doesn't have the "sit your butt down and practice" endurance that my oldest have so maturity helps. He also wasn't sure what he wanted to learn unlike my oldest which has a firm choice and never waver.

My kids self taught piano since hubby bought the piano for me. My primary instrument is piano.

• Like 1

My girls both started music lessons the year they started school, at about age 6.  They have both attended a program called Music For Young Children and I would highly recommend it - it is available in many places throughout NA.  It's typically a group lesson with up to five kids, for an hour, and a parent needs to attend.

The lesson includes piano, singing, rhythm ensemble, and theory.  There are generally four levels and when they graduate at about 9 they are playing at around a grade one level.  The cost is less than traditional music lessons.

I think what has most impressed me is that they really do introduce concepts that I would have though too difficult in a way the kids understand, and they integrate the learning in a way I haven't typically seen - its much more appropriate for young kids than other programs I have seen used. What they learn is rock-solid - they know it at a deeper level than just memorization.  And all the kids seem to really love it and maintain a lot of enthusiasm for the classes, and a fair bit of thought has gone into developing good practice habits.

They do have a program for four-five year olds, but my observation would be that it is much less useful. I think it may be a combination of focus and manual dexterity.

We also have done choir since the girls were six, and that has been very worthwhile learning as well - they got a gold in the music festival this year, and they have come to enjoy singing a lot of different styles of music. 

Of the two instruments, I would go with the keyboard and maybe get the Little Mozart book 1. I have all four books and it is easy enough to learn from the books without a teacher. My hubby was in band too and plays the clarinet and self teaching piano so kids have exposure since birth to music practice.

My oldest asked for a cello at 3 but we couldn't find a teacher so we started him on violin. Even though he like strings, it was hard work. We stop violin after a year and it's back to cello (his first choice). Violin is also costly in upkeep in terms of getting the correct size, strings replacements and my youngest damage the violin bow so we ended up with two violins and one usable bow.

My youngest started flute at 9 and it was just nice. He doesn't have the "sit your butt down and practice" endurance that my oldest have so maturity helps. He also wasn't sure what he wanted to learn unlike my oldest which has a firm choice and never waver.

My kids self taught piano since hubby bought the piano for me. My primary instrument is piano.

After my kids started violin and guitar, I really began to appreciate how easy it is for a small child to get a sound out of the piano that is non-horrific.

• Like 3

I taught classical piano for years, and age 8 is a great time to start formal lessons. They usually did better if they started in 2nd grade, around their 8th Birthday. I taught them as young as 4, but the slow progress prior to eight usually hindered them later. It set up habits in practicing and technique that were difficult to undo. There are the exceptions to this guidance, with highly gifted 5 year olds. Generally though age 8 is my best recommended age for private piano lessons.

Prior to music lessons any music exposure is wonderful for them. When we read children's literature to 5 year olds it helps expand their understanding of the English language. Similarly hearing music and dancing to music helps young children begin to learn the language of music. Playing classical music to them starts teaching them the foundational structure of music in the west that is all based on a 12 tone scale used in a variety of ways. Playing on drums or a stick on the ground or moving to a rhythm starts to teach them beat and counting in their ears.

I would make music fun while they are little and then study can progress well when they are a little older, around 8.

• Like 2

totally totally totally worthwhile, get started and whatever you do don't quit....if the child balks a little then discuss with teacher to scale back, learn some fun songs, or something ...if you have a very good teacher she or he will know how to "read" children and when to push and when to hold back.

Suzuki is great IF IF IF you get a certified trained experienced Suzuki teacher.  Suzuki is a beautiful amazing method but it's not a miracle, it takes many years of patience just like any other method.

Traditional is fine, but expect to pay up to 250 or even 300 a month for a great traditional teacher (depending on the general interest and cost of living in your area.) Get a good teacher.  Don't skimp and don't pick one out of the phone book.  Do your research.  You want a teacher who is experienced, trained and firm but kind and who smiles or laughs now and then but isn't all fun and games.  Kids can get  injuries by having bad piano habits.

Oh and any miracle method that promises lots of music for little effort is to be avoided.  Simply Music, DVD programs, etc. etc. ....I know tons of IRL friends who did Simply Music and their kids amazed everyone but their hand and posture positioning was very very bad, and their rythm was off, and they quit whenever they get to the level where you really have to work hard to read music becuase they were taught it's all easy and fun, no hard work.  And that's it...almost all of the kids quit at that point.  In traditional there is always hard work from teh beginning, but once you have been playing for a year or two the child can see that HARD WORK PAYS OFF and they are very very proud of themselves...from then on it's all step by step.

(Suzuki is kind of a different animal..the children combine a gentle nurturing and very specific playing, hand motions, rhymes etc/ and learn alongsid the parent and then learn pieces and then learn music...but it's not a miracle method because it is a long process which requires many hours of patient gentle dedication on the part of the parent and the teacher...it is a great method if you can afford and can find a certified trained suzukie teacher)

• Like 4

If you have the opportunity, Suzuki violin and/or piano are awesome for little ones.  If I had to choose, violin first b/c it trains the ear like nothing else.

Singing is core.  Suzuki will incorporate singing.

• Like 2

I would start with piano lessons.  I think piano is a very visual way of understanding the building blocks of music.  (More so than other instruments.)  Even just a few years of it, to get the basics.  From there, you can let them choose where they want to take it  -- to another instrument, to choir, or all three.

Traditional is fine, but expect to pay up to 250 or even 300 a month for a great traditional teacher (depending on the general interest and cost of living in your area.) Get a good teacher.  Don't skimp and don't pick one out of the phone book.  Do your research.  You want a teacher who is experienced, trained and firm but kind and who smiles or laughs now and then but isn't all fun and games.  Kids can get  injuries by having bad piano habits.

How many lessons do you get for month, or rather, how many hours, for $250? We pay about $25/30 minute lesson for both kids. Piano teacher uses some Suzuki methods but does not consider herself a Suzuki teacher, but the violin teacher is a Suzuki teacher and highly experienced.

I agree about the injuries. If you're doing something, do it right!

We started our eldest on the uke at four, and it was a waste. After two years, she still couldn't play more than a handful of songs. We switched her to Suzuki piano at seven, and even though she was a little old for the method, we are much happier. Her younger brother started violin at almost four, and it was, hands down, pretty much one of the best parenting decisions I've ever made. Even if he quits violin, it's had such a great effect on our family. He's in a Suzuki program.

How many lessons do you get for month, or rather, how many hours, for $250? We pay about $25/30 minute lesson for both kids. Piano teacher uses some Suzuki methods but does not consider herself a Suzuki teacher, but the violin teacher is a Suzuki teacher and highly experienced.

I agree about the injuries. If you're doing something, do it right!

Well we live in the highest cost of living area in the US and also one of the most highly educated where higher percentage of people value music lessons...so many teachers turn away students (actually all the good ones turn away students) and even have a gentle mini interview to "meet" students to see if they fit. So...

But anyway for about 300/month we get 4 45 minute sessions.

After my kids started violin and guitar, I really began to appreciate how easy it is for a small child to get a sound out of the piano that is non-horrific.

:iagree:   Although guitar has a softer sound and a lot less intonation difficulties.

I have to say that the ear-splitting sound of a soprano recorder played loudly is one of the most horrific sounds on a musical instrument. :cursing:  Beginner clarinet players don't sound so great, either, with their squeeks and squawks. 

• Like 1

Piano is great for ear training. You can cover Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Bass (SATB) with the piano.

Beginner clarinet players don't sound so great, either, with their squeeks and squawks.

My hubby (clarinet) strongly recommends my boy (flute) picks up the saxophone as his secondary wind instrument instead of the clarinet for good reason :lol:

My hubby warming up his clarinet is just as jarring to my ears as my boy practicing his flute. A piccolo would probably be worse so I should be thankful it is a flute :) I have a collection of ear plugs.

• Like 2

For pre-readers I would suggest signing up for something like Music Together or Kindermusik, especially if you have the funding available. Singing in a children's choir is another great first exposure to music, IMO. 

My oldest started piano when was 8 years old and enjoys it. My youngest kept asking when she could also take lessons and I repeatedly told her that she could start when she was reading well. This fall she made a flying leap in her reading progress and went from laboriously sounding out every single letter to reading pretty much fluently, and pleaded to start lessons, so she did. I thought she might be a little young (she was 6 at the time) but she's done well and is enjoying herself. Although I know that children who cannot read can still learn to play, for us it just didn't make sense to start lessons before reading was firmly established. 

• Like 1

I have high hopes for the piano even though I cannot play.  We inherited a beautiful baby grand piano from my husband's great aunt.  Hopefully we can have the necessary action work (about $600) done in the next year so he can learn.

For this year (1st grade) I hope we can do some recorder for fun.

We are Orthodox Christians and our church services are almost entirely sung.  So he is exposed to lots of singing, especially since my husband is a tonsured reader and sings in the choir.  He says he is not interested in singing, but I think this will change as he grows.  If not, not a big deal to me, as I do not sing except for myself.

Piano is great for ear training. You can cover Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Bass (SATB) with the piano.

My hubby (clarinet) strongly recommends my boy (flute) picks up the saxophone as his secondary wind instrument instead of the clarinet for good reason :lol:

My hubby warming up his clarinet is just as jarring to my ears as my boy practicing his flute. A piccolo would probably be worse so I should be thankful it is a flute :) I have a collection of ear plugs.

My stepson plays the clarinet and he's really talented. I don't think he has ever squeaked. I wish he'd practice more. Threads like me make me realize that I'm not overly biased thinking he has great tone. I often comment but they seem to think it's normal. I feel like it's rare not to squeak.

Both my kids started private piano lessons at age 4.  Both were beginning to read at that age as well. Now, at 10 and 15 they are still playing. 

I administer a homeschool music program with a local college that has a music school. That is a band and has horns, percussion and some wind instruments (flute mostly). They start students in those instruments at age 9.

Piano can be a great first instrument because the student can see their hands and there is a direct connection between what is done and what one hears.  With the horns etc it can be tricky or frustrating if the student cannot see their fingers while playing. Think of a flute, the hands are off to the side. That can be difficult for a 5 year old to figure out. Anyway, over the years, both my boys have played a variety of instruments in the homeschool band. One played flute for 2 years and then french horn for 2 years. The youngest has played trumpet for 2 years and is considering switching to percussion next year. And both have continued with piano.

Music practice is an integrated part of our homeschool day. When I had both boys at home, piano and other music practice was the first thing to happen every morning, after breakfast. Now, I have one at home and one in public high school and the younger still starts every day with music practice. The high school student practices right after dinner. The goal is to practice every day, 6 days a week. We don't always get all 6 practices in, but that is the goal .

Frankly, neither boy is going to be a professional musician. They aren't lighting the world on fire with musical talent, lol. But they have learned a lot and it has been worth every penny for the lessons.

• Like 2

I think music lessons can certainly be worth it.

Since you seem on the fence about it is there something else that you would like the money for? if my choice was between buying music lessons or giving the money back, I would take the music lessons. if I had to choose between the music lessons and ....

I think music lessons can certainly be worth it.

Since you seem on the fence about it is there something else that you would like the money for? if my choice was between buying music lessons or giving the money back, I would take the music lessons. if I had to choose between the music lessons and ....

If you're going to go the music education route, you get A LOT more out of it if you commit 100% as a parent. Suzuki method is wonderful, as it has the parent in the music lesson learning along with the child. Then the parent becomes the "teacher and cheerleader" at home during practice. It is such a different experience than simply dropping the child off at their lesson and making sure they practice. I've done both, and I believe the parental involvement, even if the parent has no musical background at all, is better.  And if the parent is 100% committed, the child is going to be far less likely to quit when the songs and techniques become more difficult - which they do.

• Like 1

So true. I have had to be pretty involved even with my 10/11 year old. I sit in on every few lessons or catch the last ten minutes so the teacher can explain to me what she wants me to remind my dd of. Examples might be to touch my dad's shoulders every few minutes so she remembers to relax them. To check her posture, or to put on the metronome etc.

:iagree:   Although guitar has a softer sound and a lot less intonation difficulties.

I have to say that the ear-splitting sound of a soprano recorder played loudly is one of the most horrific sounds on a musical instrument. :cursing:  Beginner clarinet players don't sound so great, either, with their squeeks and squawks. 

Yes, the guitar was not nearly as terrible as the violin.  I agree about the recorder too.  For some reason my kids all thought it was a funny thing to blast a recorder in some unsuspecting person's ear.

The thing I noticed about guitar, because dd started this year at seven which is a bit younger than her sister began a second instrument, is that compared to piano it is much more frustrating for the student at the beginning.  She has already done enough piano and choir that she reads music well for her age, but the physical act of getting the right sound from the instrument was much more demanding than it had been on piano a few years before - her fingers hurt at first and it did not sound right.  Her biggest problem after six months is still that she gets very frustrated when she can't get her chords to sound right - her teacher says this is not bad because a lot of seven year-olds don't care how they sound which is a different sort of problem, but I think for an absolute beginner to music it could be quite a turn-off..  I think as a first instrument for a child, it would not be the best choice in most cases.

Agreed. My dd was interested in adding guitar and we were fortunate enough to find a well regarded teacher doing 6 week Intro to Guitar...

My dd found guitar so frustrating as compared to piano that 6 weeks was enough for her. The good news is she stepped up her game in piano reallzing how much she loves it.

But, guitar is definitely IMO a much harder first instrument!

But, the good news is if you can find a Suzuki teacher and your child can start with violin she will have more opportunity to play in orchestra!

The "richer" public school here teach violin to all 3rd graders (120 kids per grade) who are interested during music class. Some choose the flute instead. Another school district start them in 5th grade but most has already started a primary instrument before 5th. We have an oversupply of student violinists here.

A neighbor's son (8th grade) auditioned and got into a local youth symphony as a violinist :)

My hubby was telling me a long time ago that his band teacher said piano is the most selfish instrument because it is the easiest to play solo in any orchestral piece. For my youngest flute lessons, sometimes his teacher play the piano accompaniment of the flute piece.

ETA:

An older sibling of someone in my child's flute class received a scholarship for playing the bassoon even though the child's primary instrument is flute. Oversupply of college going flute players but the college she went to wants a bassoonist.

ETA:

A piano teacher neighbor charge $50/30mins at her house for beginners. It goes higher with higher levels. Theory is included.

I don't really play piano, but I started there as a little kid and moved to clarinet in Jr. High and played all the way through college, and graduated with a degree (non-teaching) in music.

What I learned in the two-ish years I took piano lessons was invaluable to my music "career," and that despite the fact that my piano teacher didn't understand theory, so she didn't teach it.  (It is built in to most contemporary piano courses.) Unlike most of my fellow beginners, I could read both bass and treble clef; I had a strong grasp of 'higher' and 'lower'; I knew the relationship of sharps and flats to the main note;  I had a basic concept of chords; etc. Those are all easier to visualize on the piano.

I started each of my kids on piano at age five.  They were just beginning to read.  Our teacher uses Faber's "My Piano Adventures."  It starts with a pre-reader level, but she and I agree even for that level, a child needs to be close enough to reading that he or she is beginning to decode, because the child needs to grasp that the marks on the page represent something concrete and specific.

Music lessons are absolutely worth it.  When we had to dump everything for a financial crisis, piano lessons were the first thing I added back in.  So many studies showing the brain benefits from music lessons.  They proved a Math/music connection years ago, when I was still in college.  I just read one that shows one-on-one music lessons can help ADHD or Autistic kids with Executive Function skills.  My oldest two have dysgraphia and the biggest improvement I ever saw in my son's handwriting came when he started piano lessons.

Having said that, I don't believe a trained, certified teacher is necessary, unless your kid is super talented and you are aiming for Carnegie Hall.  You want a teacher who plays well, knows theory well, and is patient with kids.  Our teacher, who happens to be my sister-in-law, is a fantastic pianist who considers her main instrument to be saxophone, and her college degree was as a special ed teacher.  She was never trained as a piano teacher and isn't certified.  If, and only if, my kids make it all the way through the basic Faber course without quitting, I will start looking for a certified piano teacher. 

Ask around.  Other moms; the church organist; the high school band director; etc.

I'm in Utah, where everyone is underpaid, but I pay $50 per month, per kid, for 4 lessons.  The older two have half hour lessons; the little gets 15 minutes.  (Well, she gives me a "family" discount, so I pay $40, but she usually charges $50.)  That is the going rate here, unless you hunt out a certified teacher.

Faber is really well laid out, and starts really basic.  If you or your DH knows where middle C is on the piano, you can probably start your child at home yourself.  The only disadvantage would be that you couldn't play the optional student/teacher duets.

• 1 month later...

My DS10 after practising his cello for 30 mins took out his old 1/2 sized violin and played the same tune.  He hasn't played with that violin since he was three but he just tuned it up using my piano and played.  Apparently skills don't get forgotten 7 years later.

Also he picked up cello a lot faster than my DS9 who had never done violin before.  They both started formal lessons last month.  We pay $50 for both kids toegther per 45 min lesson.

All that just to say the early violin lessons weren't wasted.