Menu

NORTH CENTRAL TEXAS MEET UP!

texasmama

We are going to get together like the Pennsylvania/Maryland folks did. (I think it was Penn/MD...) Go us!

We have a location available which is a commercial building for a boardie's dh's business located in Addison, TX, which is just north of Dallas.  We are planning a Saturday mid afternoon get together with pot luck snacks.  Mamas only, please (but lap babies are allowed if you let us pass them around  :D).

We need folks to weigh in on potential dates.

June 20

July 11

July 18

Please respond and say which dates will work and which will not.  Thanks!

• Like 3

Addison!  So close to where we live! 

Please, my "no" for June 20th.  (One of our sons has birthday that day.) 

I must be back home no later than 4:00 P.M. on any Saturday, so would have to leave wherever this is by 3:30.  I hope it can begin early enough to let me visit with you all!

If there are any food/drink guidelines for anyone, please post.  Thanks!

• Like 2

We are going to get together like the Pennsylvania/Maryland folks did. (I think it was Penn/MD...) Go us!

Ahem, ours pulled in boardies from 4 states (PA, MD, DE, VA) so you'll have a bit of catching up to do.  No special "forgiveness" due to the size of the respective states either...

It would be tempting for me to fly in, but neither June nor July work for me due to things going on.  Besides, TX in summer isn't all that appealing heat-wise!

Have a good time!  ;)

• Like 2

I can't believe it! I'm not from Texas, but I will actually be approx. 3 hours from Addison, according to Google, from June 22 to July 6. I would definitely drive that distance to meet up, but it looks like I will just miss it! Oh well, I hope you all have a great day!

• Like 2

Ahem, ours pulled in boardies from 4 states (PA, MD, DE, VA) so you'll have a bit of catching up to do. No special "forgiveness" due to the size of the respective states either...

;)

I'm not standing in front of a map, but iirc, PA, MD, DE and VA could all fit *inside* TX, could they not?

;D

• Like 6

Ahem, ours pulled in boardies from 4 states (PA, MD, DE, VA) so you'll have a bit of catching up to do.  No special "forgiveness" due to the size of the respective states either...

It would be tempting for me to fly in, but neither June nor July work for me due to things going on.  Besides, TX in summer isn't all that appealing heat-wise!

Have a good time!   ;)

We might have to pull mileage from everyone's trip and compare those....

:driving:

• Like 1

Have a good time!   ;)

Poor sad, small states needing back up from each other to stand half as tall as Texas.  ;)

Forget the pony births, and come to Texas!  

No worries about the heat because we live indoors with air conditioning.  We are super sophisticated here.  :D

• Like 10

Poor sad, small states needing back up from each other to stand half as tall as Texas.   ;)

Forget the pony births, and come to Texas!  

No worries about the heat because we live indoors with air conditioning.  We are super sophisticated here.   :D

Poor states?  Ok, maybe... I haven't paid attention to state budget much lately even though it's in the news.  

Sad states?  Not in spring/summer. We got you beat there.  In Feb, sure, but we, personally, took care of that problem!  

Small states?  The best things come in smaller packages you know.  It also makes it FAR easier to brag when counting how many states one has been to... ;)

Pony births aren't the issue.  They will all be here by then.

June 20th middle son is taking off for CA and I'm staying with him until the moment he gets in that TSA line.  June 29th is when I'm letting them take control of my right hand in the guise of carpal tunnel surgery, so for a good part of July I'll be in my cave letting it heal itself (or with MIL babysitting (Alzheimers) and giving her another question to repetitively ask - "What'd you do to your arm?").  I'm not sure if other things will be happening then too - those other health issues I keep ignoring, that continue to annoy the bejeebers out of me.  One of these days even I will admit I really should try to do more about seeing if it's fixable or not.  July might be that month - emphasis on might, but I have fewer excuses then.

By August I'm hopeful that life will be semi-normal, but that's when hubby and I set out to celebrate our anniversary.  By the end of August, school starts again.

It's difficult to believe time can fly so quickly, no?

Poor states?  Ok, maybe... I haven't paid attention to state budget much lately even though it's in the news.  

Sad states?  Not in spring/summer. We got you beat there.  In Feb, sure, but we, personally, took care of that problem!  

Small states?  The best things come in smaller packages you know.  It also makes it FAR easier to brag when counting how many states one has been to... ;)

Pony births aren't the issue.  They will all be here by then.

June 20th middle son is taking off for CA and I'm staying with him until the moment he gets in that TSA line.  June 29th is when I'm letting them take control of my right hand in the guise of carpal tunnel surgery, so for a good part of July I'll be in my cave letting it heal itself (or with MIL babysitting (Alzheimers) and giving her another question to repetitively ask - "What'd you do to your arm?").  I'm not sure if other things will be happening then too - those other health issues I keep ignoring, that continue to annoy the bejeebers out of me.  One of these days even I will admit I really should try to do more about seeing if it's fixable or not.  July might be that month - emphasis on might, but I have fewer excuses then.

By August I'm hopeful that life will be semi-normal, but that's when hubby and I set out to celebrate our anniversary.  By the end of August, school starts again.

It's difficult to believe time can fly so quickly, no?

With a few exceptions, I dislike your summer.  Coming to see me would be much better and funner.  Because Texas.  And texasmama.  :D

We (read "I") are caring for dh's 96 yo grandmother with Alzheimers in our home currently.  Alzheimers means never knowing what a day will bring.  

Texas is better than all the other states combined.  If you disagree and want to go to the mat over it, I will make sure I come visit in July when you are in a brace or cast or something so I can ensure a win.  ;)

Also, bumping for other Texas folks.

• Like 3

With a few exceptions, I dislike your summer.  Coming to see me would be much better and funner.  Because Texas.  And texasmama.   :D

We (read "I") are caring for dh's 96 yo grandmother with Alzheimers in our home currently.  Alzheimers means never knowing what a day will bring.  

Texas is better than all the other states combined.  If you disagree and want to go to the mat over it, I will make sure I come visit in July when you are in a brace or cast or something so I can ensure a win.   ;)

Also, bumping for other Texas folks.

Regarding the bolded... are you delusional?  You'd seriously take your 100+ temps over our 80+ temps?  Dry heat or not, yours is still HOT (been there, experienced that).  And ours is green - so much nicer on the eyes.  We have our own private campsite down in the woods by a picturesque creek (nice running water!) and our garden is producing tasty food.  If we head anywhere in summer (deliberately), it's farther north to upstate NY or Canada (both the St Lawrence River area and Nova Scotia areas are gorgeous in June/July).  It sure isn't south...

Perhaps you should come up here so we can take it to the mat - if you aren't too busy fawning over our scenic beauty to remember what you came for.  ;)   :coolgleamA:   The only way TX beats us for sure all the time is in the BBQ dept.  PA BBQ... well, let's not go there.  I'm ashamed.  :closedeyes:

Sorry about the Alzheimers... the only reason our family jokes about that is because we'd be batty if we didn't.

And overall - just adding to your bump.  The meetup we had was fun!  I wish y'all all the best with yours.  I would seriously entertain the thought of coming if the other stuff wasn't going on.  I enjoy meeting fellow Boardies!

• Like 3

Regarding the bolded... are you delusional?  You'd seriously take your 100+ temps over our 80+ temps?  Dry heat or not, yours is still HOT (been there, experienced that).  And ours is green - so much nicer on the eyes.  We have our own private campsite down in the woods by a picturesque creek (nice running water!) and our garden is producing tasty food.  If we head anywhere in summer (deliberately), it's farther north to upstate NY or Canada (both the St Lawrence River area and Nova Scotia areas are gorgeous in June/July).  It sure isn't south...

Perhaps you should come up here so we can take it to the mat - if you aren't too busy fawning over our scenic beauty to remember what you came for.   ;)   :coolgleamA:   The only way TX beats us for sure all the time is in the BBQ dept.  PA BBQ... well, let's not go there.  I'm ashamed.  :closedeyes:

Sorry about the Alzheimers... the only reason our family jokes about that is because we'd be batty if we didn't.

And overall - just adding to your bump.  The meetup we had was fun!  I wish y'all all the best with yours.  I would seriously entertain the thought of coming if the other stuff wasn't going on.  I enjoy meeting fellow Boardies!

If you stay inside, no one knows how hot it is.  I will take your picturesque creek, though.  

Northern BBQ is no good.  And your idea of Mexican food has no game, either.

We have to joke, too.  Gallows humor.

I do wish we could meet, too. <sniff>

• Like 4

And your idea of Mexican food has no game, either.

???  We have Taco Bell in the next town over!   :lol:

(And some of our Mexican immigrants have opened up restaurants serving native dishes.  We aren't that uncultured!  It's just that way too many in PA consider BBQ = Sloppy Joe.  :svengo: I'm sorry to have made you gag with that thought, but some crimes just shouldn't be kept hidden.  Plus, if you ever travel here - be forewarned!  Don't learn about it the hard way as we did!)

• Like 1

???  We have Taco Bell in the next town over!   :lol:

(And some of our Mexican immigrants have opened up restaurants serving native dishes.  We aren't that uncultured!  It's just that way too many in PA consider BBQ = Sloppy Joe.  :svengo: I'm sorry to have made you gag with that thought, but some crimes just shouldn't be kept hidden.  Plus, if you ever travel here - be forewarned!  Don't learn about it the hard way as we did!)

Ewwwww, I think I just threw up in my mouth  a little...

Except for the Mexican immigrants.  I would go to their restaurants.  When I lived in MD for five years, the Mexican food was just...well, NOT.  It was about like your BBQ.

One of my BFFs is from Penn.  Fortunately, she escaped to Texas.  ;)

• Like 2

Except for the Mexican immigrants.  I would go to their restaurants.  When I lived in MD for five years, the Mexican food was just...well, NOT.  It was about like your BBQ.

One of my BFFs is from Penn.  Fortunately, she escaped to Texas.   ;)

Found this thread back on Page 8 of New Content.  Hope I didn't make too many people gag with my description of PA BBQ.

Perhaps I should emphasize that it is in PA, not TX.  We had terrific BBQ in TX.   :drool5:

Hope those of you in the weather's path are doing ok as well.  I'm mainly paying attention to headlines rather than in depth stories, but the headlines are shudder worthy IMO.

• Like 1

Found this thread back on Page 8 of New Content.  Hope I didn't make too many people gag with my description of PA BBQ.

Perhaps I should emphasize that it is in PA, not TX.  We had terrific BBQ in TX.   :drool5:

Hope those of you in the weather's path are doing ok as well.  I'm mainly paying attention to headlines rather than in depth stories, but the headlines are shudder worthy IMO.

Thanks for the bump.

We will not be serving any PA-style "bbq" at the N Central TX meet up, but we do need more folks to weigh in on dates that will work for them.  ;)  Maybe this information will cause people to flock to this get-together.

• Like 1

I am in central Texas, but only have one dd5 who will be 'officially' homeschooled starting this fall, do I count?!

I FEEL like we have been homeschooling forever, lol, but we all know how controversial that gets:)

ETA:

No particular stance on good barbecue vs. bad barbecue either, unless vegetarian 'meat' counts:)

I am in central Texas, but only have one dd5 who will be 'officially' homeschooled starting this fall, do I count?!

I FEEL like we have been homeschooling forever, lol, but we all know how controversial that gets:)

ETA:

No particular stance on good barbecue vs. bad barbecue either, unless vegetarian 'meat' counts:)

You count.  Anyone who wants to attend counts.  In fact, if you are within "the sound of my voice", you can come.  Because who wouldn't want to hang out with me and my cool peeps for an afternoon?  :D

• Like 3

Thanks for the bump.

We will not be serving any PA-style "bbq" at the N Central TX meet up, but we do need more folks to weigh in on dates that will work for them. ;) Maybe this information will cause people to flock to this get-together.

I am reminded of "Minnesotan barbecue" as described in the book How to Talk Minnesotan. Barbecue is ketchup mixed with ground beef, served on a buttered white bun. If you put it in a tortilla and add some Cheez Whiz it is a Minnesotan taco, pronounced "tack-o". I do not live in Minnesota though I have relatives there. I have not partaken of Minnesotan barbecue or tacos though. :-)

I am reminded of "Minnesotan barbecue" as described in the book How to Talk Minnesotan. Barbecue is ketchup mixed with ground beef, served on a buttered white bun. If you put it in a tortilla and add some Cheez Whiz it is a Minnesotan taco, pronounced "tack-o". I do not live in Minnesota though I have relatives there. I have not partaken of Minnesotan barbecue or tacos though. :-)

About to throw up from reading this description!  :laugh:

• Like 2

When we first moved to Alabama, I was homesick for hearing Spanish spoken.  We once were at a park [Vulcan, in case anyone knows what that is], and my ears picked up on the well-loved language.  I tried to draw nearer to the family, without looking like a stalker, just to hear the sounds!

We also went to the "Mexican" restaurant about which people were so thrilled.  The food was dreadful.  The manager stopped by our table to suggest that we pour the salsa over our entrees "because people liked it best that way."  What he meant was that the food was practically inedible without disguise!

• Like 1

About to throw up from reading this description! :laugh:

I know, it's very nasty-sounding. The guy who wrote that book might have been exaggerating for the sake of humor, but not much. My Minnesotan-born grandmother would offer us canned ham sandwiches on white buttered bread when we visited. I was just a kid but I tried to decline politely.

In fairness, Grandma never liked to cook. Some of my Minnesotan relatives were much better cooks than she was.

Ahem, ours pulled in boardies from 4 states (PA, MD, DE, VA) so you'll have a bit of catching up to do. No special "forgiveness" due to the size of the respective states either...

It would be tempting for me to fly in, but neither June nor July work for me due to things going on. Besides, TX in summer isn't all that appealing heat-wise!

Have a good time! ;)

I'm thinking it's just about time for our Summer quatra-state meet-up to get going...

• Like 2

My first visit to Baltimore, a friend tried to tell me about a great Mexican restaurant down the street. I laughed and said, "I'm from Texas. I'm not eating Mexican food in Baltimore."

Honestly, I was craving seafood, but I still feel really bad about being so rude...

Boom!

It's Orthodox6 FTW! (For the win, though it could also be Fort Worth given the title of the thread.)

#smallstatestrolled

Hrumph. We have steamed blue crabs. So just go eat your sorry dungeoness crabs and try being content with that.

#MidAtlanticThatsMyHome

#don'teatshellfish

#serioustroll

#QuillcomestoTexasformeetup

For real, though, I would love to fly to Texas and meet up. I have never been and have thought about taking a trip there "some day." I don't necessarily know what I would want to see/do in Texas, though. I just want to add to my shot glass collection of places I have been.

• Like 1

For real, though, I would love to fly to Texas and meet up. I have never been and have thought about taking a trip there "some day." I don't necessarily know what I would want to see/do in Texas, though. I just want to add to my shot glass collection of places I have been.

I will just tell you, DFW looks just like the rest of Nebrahoma, with its midget trees and scenic high tower power lines. Right now, it's soggy green.

But, the upside is there's a ton of things to do. Most recreation centers here have indoor pools, with lazy rivers, slides, and jetted pools. There are even more outdoor water parks.

Malls with ice rinks, carousels, Japanese arcades, Lego stores, and even an aquarium in one. Movie theaters galore.

There's indoor skydiving, rock climbing, and laser tag.

That's just the start of the touristy stuff.

There are fireworks every Friday on the lake, art classes, wine tasting, cultural festivals every week. There are music and art performances across the Metroplex.

Food wise, besides texmex, there are a lot of authentic Thai, Indian, and Indonesian restaurants.

Which, I know are all things to be found in the Mid Atlantic states. But, it's just to say if you visit, you will have many things to distract you from the landscape.

• Like 2

Come visit!  You don't seem like a weirdo so you can stay with me.  :D

• Like 1