Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Aelwydd

Calling all Texas and Oklahoma Hive Members

The San Jacinto's West Branch crested last night and flooded the streets in the low lying areas of Kingwood. It happens every time there's a hurricane or lots of rain, but it's still a hassle for the people who live there.

All the rain from central Texas has made it down the river to our tiny town in southeast Texas.

The river is expected to rise to 43 feet which is well above dangerous flood level. They are evacuating the west side of town.

Unfortunately we are expected to get more rain tomorrow. The highest the river has ever flooded was in 1998 when it reached 48 feet. We could possibly get there if central Texas and our area gets more rain this week.

More rain today and in the forecast NE of Tulsa. We are doing OK with it all.  My septic drain fields are a bit saturated and the drains are running slowly.  We are conserving water until we dry out some.  Ponds are overflowing everywhere...snapping turtles crossing roads and snakes looking for their homes.  

Texas is taking a beating.  The photos are heartbreaking.

Just checking in and bumping this up.

How did folks fare today?

Good grief, we are currently awaiting heavy rain, hail, and 60 mph winds.  I'm so over it.  I think I might stand in the front yard waving a white flag as the storm rolls in.  The good news is that after Saturday, we get a break for awhile.

Good grief, we are currently awaiting heavy rain, hail, and 60 mph winds.  I'm so over it.  I think I might stand in the front yard waving a white flag as the storm rolls in.  The good news is that after Saturday, we get a break for awhile.

We had  that weather today and 75-80 homes flooded in the Lubbock area.

Stay safe, and my heart breaks for the lost souls in central Texas.

We just moved the cars to as safe spots as we can get them--we're expecting large hail.  Sigh.  Lots and lots of trees down on my way to and from work.  My garden took a beating night before last, and it appears it will again tonight.  Having the garden take a beating is much better than having cars and trees damaged though.  Sigh.

They have already ordered evacuations for the west side of our town as the river rises to historic flood levels. With this latest round of storms coming through Texas tonight, it is not looking good around here. Our little town even made the news where my parents live in Arkansas because of the flood situation here!

Got home from work about an hour ago (I work third shift). Very bad conditions. Idiots driving 60+ mph on the highways, even while 100 high water rescues on flooded roads have happened over the last few hours.

I hope everyone made it through the night ok.  I saw pics from some places on the news this morning.  Yuck!

37 counties have been declared disaster areas by governor Greg Abbott. There are 17 dead so far as a result of this most recent storm.

TX and OK hive members, I hope you are safe today!

Still safe here in ok near Tulsa. But it rained a lot again this morning. I saw on the news there was more flooding in our town yesterday.

Tried to get out this morning.  There are four ways out of our neighborhood.  The two main ones were under water and blocked.  I was able to get out the third way.  The second way I tried had a "river" rushing over the road and through a field.  It was about 20 feet wide.  In 15 years of living here, I've seen this once before.  We are expecting more rain tonight.  There is a major freeway underwater in Dallas.  I am in disbelief.

My son is in the Primary part of a Primary/Elementary school situation. Overnight, the roof was ripped off the shared bus drop and the Elementary school is without power. They are sending the kids over to the Primary school after lunch to finish the school day.

No, there are not enough extra classes in the Primary school to accomodate them all. So its going to be crowded. But some classes were being held in hallways at the Elementary school. So there's that.

Today was day "W" at the Primary school -- to "help your teacher WRECK the classroom (Take it apart. Clean up, etc)"  So I guess there will be more hands to help out? Next Wednesday is the last day of school for the year.

My DD is headed with friends to a tkd competition in Mesquite. I know Duck Creek flash flooded last night but it's okay now. I'm going to be a little selfish right now and hope that the worst of the flooding stays west. This is her first time ever away from home without mom or dad. Thankfully, my bff lives in Mesquite and can help her if needed.

My DD is headed with friends to a tkd competition in Mesquite. I know Duck Creek flash flooded last night but it's okay now. I'm going to be a little selfish right now and hope that the worst of the flooding stays west. This is her first time ever away from home without mom or dad. Thankfully, my bff lives in Mesquite and can help her if needed.

Oh. no.  We have to be in Mesquite, too.  Does anyone know if the highways around there are OK?  How do I find out (other than, "Hey, Kids, let's all pile in the van and see for ourselves!")...   :confused:  Hopefully, Mesquite is still there in the morning.

Trying to remember which highway was flooded this morning on the news...was it 30?  20?  A different one?  Darn its, I should've been paying attention!

Loop 12 under 1-30 was under water, but that was at Grand Prairie, not at Mesquite. My friend in Mesquite says the roads are fine there. She did say that if its starts raining to stay put. Any heavy rainfall can cause a repeat of the flash flooding from early this morning.

I think I may have posted this before in this thread, but my brain flooded just like the roads so here it is:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/552727-north-central-texas-meet-up/

This is your chance to meet local boardies IRL.  I will be there.   :)

Have you appointed someone to the weather committee yet?  It sounds like that just might be a very important job to fill.

Have you appointed someone to the weather committee yet?  It sounds like that just might be a very important job to fill.

I appoint myself as the head of the freaking weather committee!  

But by July we will all be burned to a crisp, dried out like prunes, and begging for rain.

by July we will all be burned to a crisp, dried out like prunes, and begging for rain.

Hmm, that sales pitch might need a tad bit of work.   :lol:

You did, of course, get pics of your area with the high water levels, right?

Hubby snagged some around here when we had flooding from a couple of coastal hurricanes a few years back.  (Not our house as we're on a hill, but our area.)  They make worthy pics to show others later on.

Hmm, that sales pitch might need a tad bit of work.   :lol:

You did, of course, get pics of your area with the high water levels, right?

Hubby snagged some around here when we had flooding from a couple of coastal hurricanes a few years back.  (Not our house as we're on a hill, but our area.)  They make worthy pics to show others later on.

No, honey, you have missed the whole point!  The weather and scenery will never be the big draw to Texas.  It is the fact that I (and Kinsa and other cool folks) are here.  :D

I did go down to the seasonal creek at the back of our property (poorly clad in pj pants and flip flops), in peril of life and limb due to snakes, and take some pictures.  For our creek, it was impressive, and I saw evidence of it having exceeded the bounds and come up a good twenty feet at one place because the grass was all bent down.  (That sentence makes me sound a little bit Texan.   ;) )

Ds12 was with me this morning and took pics of the twenty foot rushing river that blocked our way.  I was too busy "turning around and not drowing".

For the amusement of ds12, I chanted the meme "If water on ground, turn around, don't drown" over and over during our car trip.  I don't know why they lost the article before "ground" and also the verb but I guess it is fewer characters to light up on those highway signs.

I did go down to the seasonal creek at the back of our property (poorly clad in pj pants and flip flops), in peril of life and limb due to snakes, 

There's that "sales pitch" deal again...  :glare:

No, honey, you have missed the whole point!  The weather and scenery will never be the big draw to Texas.  It is the fact that I (and Kinsa and other cool folks) are here.   :D

Meeting everyone/anyone there would definitely be the draw.  It sort of keeps me pondering the idea and contemplating budget & time.  It still doesn't really work with other things going on, but one never knows.  Travel junkies tend to keep options open until the last possible moment.

How's it going today?  The news locally reported some of y'all got more rain.   :cursing:

I also heard something to the effect of enough rain having fallen on TX (in affected areas) to cover the whole state with 4 inches?  If true (I was only half paying attention), that's a lot!   :svengo: Too bad it couldn't have come at different times when needed.

ETA:  NBC's Today Show said the whole state could be covered by 8 inches with the amount of rain that has fallen.  Wow.  Simply Wow.

Stay safe everyone.

Yep, eight inches.

I was awakened this morning at 6 am by a huge clap of thunder.  And yes, it is raining again.  

We drove from San Antonio to Dallas (281 most of the way) yesterday.  You could see where some of the rivers had flooded, but mostly it was fine along that route.  It's raining this morning.  And we have quite a walk to get back to the convention center for the second day of Dallas Fan Expo.  The part of the city where we are is not flooded.

No, honey, you have missed the whole point! The weather and scenery will never be the big draw to Texas. It is the fact that I (and Kinsa and other cool folks) are here. :D

Central Texas Hill Country is very, very beautiful. Perhaps sometimes people fall into a trap of dismissing it just because the elevations are lower than those of actual mountains? And the flora and vegetation differ? (I fiercely defend bluebonnets and cacti as beautiful! )

I never have been to the Davis Mountains, but expect that they are worth a trip.

One broadcast news report for DFW claimed that the snakes turning up ate rat snakes, which people should leave alone because they are helpful (to kill rats). Claimed that people get bitten only when they try to kill the snake.

Any truth to the foregoing? (I do not wish to welcome any snakes into our home!)

Well, I'd absolutely say not to try to kill a snake. Leave them alone and they'll go away. Dh flipped out because there was a brown snake on the garage door when he came home on Thursday. I suspect that might have been a copperhead. We all stayed out of the garage the rest of the day and there's been no sign of it since.

The only adult I know who has been bitten by a snake was trying to kill a cottonmouth with a shovel. TBH, that was a really dumb idea. He was fine after a couple of weeks, but still, is it so hard to just leave the snake alone to slither on its way?

ETA: We've been getting more that the normal share of cockroaches too. I know they're just trying to stay dry, but I'm tired of Geezle and I having to kill the roach while DH and Trinqueta freak out. How I married the only native of the tropics who flips out over roaches, IDK. His parents' house is open and there are lots and lots of them all year round. You'd think he'd have gotten over this about 40 years ago. Instead, he will shamelessly scream for his wife to come and save him from the 3 inch insect with no stinger or formic acid.

Huge storm the other night, but nothing last night in my area. BUT, we are under a flash flood watch until, I don't know, an archangel blows a trumpet or something. So far, there are nice blue skies. DS13 is cleaning out the chicken coop and laying clean and dry (!) bedding in the nests & on the ground.

Our creek is still running, but is no longer over the bridge. From being at historic lows (and after several archaeological digs there) Lake Travis is almost full. I don't think Buchanan has filled as much.

Oh, and chirrguire, tell your friend that of all snakes cottonmouths are NOT the kind you want to go after unless you're positive you have a kill shot. Those suckers are V.I.C.I.O.U.S and will go after mere mortals.