Menu

Calling all Texas and Oklahoma Hive Members

Aelwydd

Please check in and verify you have not been swept away by the flood waters!! 

So far, in this area, we've had over 2.5 inches of rain in just as many hours, with a lot more predicted to fall this morning.  The nearby lakes are already at flood stage.  Apparently, the Blaco River in San Marcos is now flooding I-35.

I know that many people will blame global warming for these floods.  But, I'm here to tell you all...it's really Ireland's fault.   :hat:

Be safe!

• Like 4

I'm good here in the DFW area. We live on a "hill" so would be the last to flood in our area. I am tired of no electricity however. The second time in a week we have been out for 9 hours. And that does not count the shorter 30 minute to 2 hour periods.

Following a high school friend on Facebook who hasn't been able to make it home to Blanco, TX and spent the night in her truck (luckily she had a project with her and finished knitting her mom an afghan).  She is fine...but she raises Bengal kitties, and one hopes a neighbor has been able to get in and feed them.  Some roads are closed due to flooding, and others have downed power lines. Local hotels are full.  The one shelter she could get to ....she simply can't enter, as she was married there and had a BAD divorce just a year ago. 

Woke up to a tornado warning alarm from my phone. Thankfully it was short lived. Then I found out the Blanco river is at 43 feet (previous record was 33 feet) and my sister lives out that way. I'm waiting until it's later in the morning to text her. If she didn't get evacuated I'm sure she's still asleep.

North of Fort Worth here....we are good.

Kinda the low spot in our neighborhood, so the back of our acre is a shallow river or swamp land depending on whether it's just rained or not.

The dog is not impressed. :) He hates going out to do his business in the wet.

The weather here for the last few days has been similar to Brussels...grey skies, cool temps, soft & abundant rain. Makes me hungry for waffles, frites, and chocolate....

I'd like to place an order for two weeks of 85 degrees and sunny...

Just walked in the door from work - multiple swift water rescues, wrecks, sick people, and a tornado warning with no sleep.

Drove home to water over my bridge (though passable) and the ladies very unhappy in their run/coop with water flowing through their yard. Standing water in the garden.

More rain forecast.

• Like 1

DFW area here.  We lost power briefly last night but it's back on this morning.  We're in an area that doesn't flood typically.   One of our buildings where I work had standing water in part of it while I was working last night.  There wasn't much I could do about it then.  

"The Blanco River rose more than 33 feet in just 3 hours in Wimberley, Texas, reaching a level more than 27 feet above flood stage at 1 a.m. Sunday. This broke the all-time record crest from 1929 by nearly 7 feet, before the river gauge stopped reporting. Wimberley is about 25 miles southwest of Austin."

I'm pretty sure we have at least one person on this forum who lives in Wimberley...

Doesn't Jann live in Wimberley? I hope she's okay!

I'm in TX. We had funnel clouds above our house and torrential rain. I know there are some road closures near us. We stayed home from church to stay away from the flooded roads.

My kids all slept on a pallet downstairs because I was worried about tornadoes. I'm not sure they slept much because they were all very upset. I currently have a preschooler asleep in my bed and I'm rocking the toddler. They are so tired.

It was a scary night but we are ok. I have family in Oklahoma and they are having horrible flooding. I worry about them!

Dfw here! Wow that was some rain and along with those winds it was something else!

Thought we lost a tree checked on it this morning it was fine! Went for groceries this am and many roads are flodded and the saw a lot of branches down esp on Royal---Inwood,Midway rd,Marsh, all the areas with mature trees have atleast some damage !

Be safe everyone!

According to local news, our DFW suburb received nearly three inches of rain during the past twenty-four hours.  Ours is an odd suburb, for frequently bad weather occurs in all directions immediately surrounding us, but skip our area -- as if we lived in a protected bubble.  Very strange, and has gone on for years.

We have family in Round Rock. So far things are okay in their area, but we've been concerned by reports we're reading.

That's where I live, on the east side of the freeway (which makes a difference, because I-35 runs along an escarpment, affecting not only geology but climate/weather. Who knew?).

• Like 1

If you are in a vehicle and you can see standing water or running water, the rule is "Turn around, don't drown!".   This applies to people everywhere, not just in TX and OK.   I remember seeing flooding in the Phoenix AZ area, on the TV news, a year or two ago. 

• Like 1

Shockingly, after several weeks in a row of tornado warnings and power outages, all we have is sodden landscape and a few downed trees.

I notice that there are plenty of DFW-area folks.  We should do a meet-up.  I am a terrible arranger of such things, but I promise to try and attend if someone else does it.  :D

• Like 1

Ok, just talked to Jann. She's ok, because her house is on a high hill. Over 300 houses have been washed away in the river. Don't know the fatalities yet. :-(

I am very relieved to hear that Jann is okay for many reasons, one of which is that she is ds14's Algebra teacher, and we need her.  :)

• Like 1

If you are in a vehicle and you can see standing water or running water, the rule is "Turn around, don't drown!". This applies to people everywhere, not just in TX and OK. I remember seeing flooding in the Phoenix AZ area, on the TV news, a year or two ago.

Lanny, you're absolutely right about not driving through water even if it looks calm. I do want to note that last night most of the people I helped rescue were stuck in their houses. Most of the people in Hayes and Blanco Counties were similarly flooded out of their homes. The storms were torrential and the water rose very fast.

We're in San Antonio, but we don't worry about flooding where our house is.  There would be several houses totally and completely under water before we'd be flooded because we're on a hill.  We have a friend in Boerne and she posted some pictures and videos.  It was bad.  Another friend not too far away (homeschooling family, actually) has a dry creek bed at the back of her property.  It's not even remotely dry anymore.  It's raging rapids.

Shockingly, after several weeks in a row of tornado warnings and power outages, all we have is sodden landscape and a few downed trees.

I notice that there are plenty of DFW-area folks.  We should do a meet-up.  I am a terrible arranger of such things, but I promise to try and attend if someone else does it.   :D

I would LOVE this!  DFW is such a sprawl, there is no telling where we all live.  Person A might live in Mesquite, while Person B might live in Weatherford! 

• Like 3

After 4 inches of rain overnight, my yard was *very* squishy, and that's even though we've got a good grade, so that most everything liquid just keeps on rolling through and out of our yard. 

About a twelve years ago, we were living at FIL's house in South Dallas, a home with a 60' deep ravine behind it, with a small river running at the bottom of the ravine.  The corner of the house closest to the ravine was a scant 8 feet from the edge of the ravine.  Someone forgot to close the gates on the holding dam a couple miles upstream, and we woke at two a.m. to find that the ravine was full, and the water was rushing about 100' across.  Had it come up another few inches, it would have been in the house.  In the 35 years he had lived there, he had never seen it that high.  Very frightening.

• Like 1

Checking in

Our home internet (2 different companies) and my I-pad's cellular data are all down.  I'm using my husband's iPhone to post (tethered to my computer).

We live on a hill so we are fine.  Our daughters are just a few blocks from the river-- they will be watching it closely tomorrow as more rain is expected.

With so many bridges out it will be difficult to get out and about (we have may friends who are 'trapped' but safe)...

Several more inches of rain are possible tomorrow-- I fear this is just the beginning.

• Like 10

I watched the radar last night as I have traveling kids. Looks like you folks got another drenching last night. I am glad to hear from those who have checked in. Hope things will let up and give you some dry days to breathe deep and regroup.