Menu

Accusations in the past against Josh Duggar? (warning: sensitive content)

I am not sure how credible the source is but they must have something to back up their claims to put this out there. Kind of a bizarre story overall with what happened to the investigating officer (convicted on CP charges).

http://www.intouchweekly.com/posts/19-kids-and-counting-son-named-in-underage-sex-probe-58751

"The charge being pursued while Josh was a minor was sexual assault in the fourth degree, multiple sources who have seen the police report and are familiar with the case told In Touch. According to the report, Josh was brought into the Arkansas State Police by his father, Jim Bob, who said he caught him leaving a young girl’s bedroom and “learned something inappropriate happened,†one source said."

I don't think that tabloid is all that credible, but there might be a kernel of truth in the story. That the magazine then filled in with whatever facts they wanted. 

Back when Josh was 16 he was rumored to be betrothed to a Holt girl. The relationship was suddenly broken off, the families severed ties, and Josh was sent away to a Gothard camp.  The 'sin in the camp' was rumored to be inappropriate touching with the girl. 

If Jim Bob marched Josh to the police station, I would bet it was because they were asked to come down, not because he found his son in an inappropriate situation and turned him in.  More likely, the Holt family went to the police, they questioned Josh, and they determined it was nothing serious enough to warrant pursuing.  

Disclaimer: I am not a Duggar apologist.

• Like 15

All anyone has is speculation. Trust me, I'm no fan of the Duggars. But we honestly have NOTHING more than that and most likely never will. Dredging it up right now does nothing.

All it does is hurt Anna and the kids. There's no way he can prove something didn't happen.  It's just the tabloids' way of earning a buck.  I hate tabloids.  And paparazzi. 

• Like 11

I am not sure how credible the source is but they must have something to back up their claims to put this out there. Kind of a bizarre story overall with what happened to the investigating officer (convicted on CP charges).

http://www.intouchweekly.com/posts/19-kids-and-counting-son-named-in-underage-sex-probe-58751

"The charge being pursued while Josh was a minor was sexual assault in the fourth degree, multiple sources who have seen the police report and are familiar with the case told In Touch. According to the report, Josh was brought into the Arkansas State Police by his father, Jim Bob, who said he caught him leaving a young girl’s bedroom and “learned something inappropriate happened,†one source said."

I saw this but there are no facts.  He was a teen in 2005, so was the girl a teen too?  A 3 year old?  We don't know.

Nothing came of the charges. 

Mr. Duggar would think a kiss is inappropriate because they do that courtship thing with no contact before marriage, so we need facts here rather than insinuations to make any reasonable judgment on the matter. 

• Like 4

You know what? I won't even click on the link because I think it's disgusting to contribute to the coffers of a tabloid that's making money off speculation relating to someone's MINOR child.

Seriously, I don't even care about the Duggars and their bazillion kids. I DO care that some guy is going to be hurt in some way over an intimation that he did something wrong while he was a kid! I sure as heck wouldn't want my mistakes or my kids' mistakes being fodder for this gossip.

Good grief!

• Like 29

EDIT:  please ignore.  The police report completely changes everything. 

Not a fan of the Duggars, but I don't put much stock in this article.  It states that the offense took place in 2005.  That would make Josh 17 at the time.  It mentions sexual assault in the 4th degree, which, by Arkansas statutes, would apply to someone over twenty who had sexual relations or sexual contact with someone under 16.  My guess (only my guess)  is that the two were alone together getting "too friendly" and her parents raised a stink and accused Josh of a crime.  Investigations showed that no actual law was broken (not saying there wasn't any sin by their religious definition) and it was dropped.  Political enemies have brought this up again to make him look bad. 

That said, this just makes that whole "sex talk before the wedding" episode even more squidgy.  Yeah right ... their kids don't know anything until right before the wedding. 

• Like 14

I'm sorry, but no kid can be around that many births and instructions in purity without figuring SOMETHING out. Don't know up until the wedding, my left foot! And if they DON'T know what they should before then, shame on the parents. 

FTR, yes, we also hold to strong views on marriage and sex. However... 1) we don't have unrealistic beliefs about affection leading up to marriage or condemnation based on a idolatrous view of virginity. 2) my children have seen birthing and c-section videos (we've had a couple of homebirths...children weren't present, but prepared to not freak out if the midwife didn't show up in time). 3) we educate. This means we have biology books on the shelves. My parents did the same. LONG before "the talks", we had access to medical and biology texts. My children have access to medical, biology, and midwifery texts. Uhm, one text I hadn't read all the way through and my son informed me that it had more in it than just pregnancy drawings *blush*. Yeah, so kids aren't stupid. They figure things out or find things out. We can't, nor should we, hide them in a closet.

• Like 14

Not a fan of the Duggars, but I don't put much stock in this article.  It states that the offense took place in 2005.  That would make Josh 17 at the time.  It mentions sexual assault in the 4th degree, which, by Arkansas statutes, would apply to someone over twenty who had sexual relations or sexual contact with someone under 16.  My guess (only my guess)  is that the two were alone together getting "too friendly" and her parents raised a stink and accused Josh of a crime.  Investigations showed that no actual law was broken (not saying there wasn't any sin by their religious definition) and it was dropped.  Political enemies have brought this up again to make him look bad. 

That said, this just makes that whole "sex talk before the wedding" episode even more squidgy.  Yeah right ... their kids don't know anything until right before the wedding. 

I find that doubtful only because Arkansas has close-in-age exceptions. She would have to be under 14 for there to be any possible criminal act (assuming consensual) if he was 17.

• Like 1

I find that doubtful only because Arkansas has close-in-age exceptions. She would have to be under 14 for there to be any possible criminal act (assuming consensual) if he was 17.

That was my point ... that, despite the girl's parent's accusation, no crime actually took place, unless it was forcible or absent the ability to consent (drunk or on drugs - both doubtful.) 

• Like 2

That was my point ... that, despite the girl's parent's accusation, no crime actually took place, unless it was forcible or absent the ability to consent (drunk or on drugs - both doubtful.) 

There wouldn't be an investigation if the ages allowed for the exception so I my point is it is unlikely (imo) that the scenario you are suggesting is what happened.

Not shocked. Had heard the rumours years ago. Just more reason to stay away from the FRC and the extreme right (I stay away from the extreme left also. Centrist Independent)

Huh.  I stay away from idiots and jerks, not political persuasions.

• Like 6

There wouldn't be an investigation if the ages allowed for the exception so I my point is it is unlikely (imo) that the scenario you are suggesting is what happened.

What is it that you think I am saying?  I thought we were saying the same thing ... no statutory rape or battery as determined by their statutes.  So, I probably should not have said investigation.  Perhaps the girl's parents went in with an accusation, they talked to Josh, and determined that no crime was committed. 

Wasn't that around the same time Jim Bob ran for office and lost?

I remember reading about the lost race at the time and the implication was that God was punishing the family for the "sinful" actions of Josh. (We have family in Arkansas and Arkansas-adjacent so we hear about the Duggar clan way.too.much.)

I remember reading about the lost race at the time and the implication was that God was punishing the family for the "sinful" actions of Josh. (We have family in Arkansas and Arkansas-adjacent so we hear about the Duggar clan way.too.much.)

Oh good gravy. That makes my skin crawl. :(

• Like 5

I have no idea whether or not the story is true, but I did want to mention that In Touch Weekly is one of those rags that makes the National Enquirer look like the Wall Street Journal in comparison.

I wouldn't doubt the Duggars have at least a few dirty little secrets. I have no clue as to whether or not this particular story is anything newsworthy, though, or if it was just a matter of Josh and a girl acting like normal curious teenagers and getting caught by their extremely conservative parents who turned it into a huge thing. My suspicion is that Josh was behaving like an average teenaged boy, not that he was some sort of sex fiend.

• Like 23

:crying:

• Like 1

I am not a follower of the Duggars (I don't own a TV), nor am I Christian; however, I am a relatively religious Orthodox Jew, who did not touch my husband (or any unrelated male) until we married so I lived through similar rules as an adolescent. That said, the Orthodox Jewish world has had its share of people who have molested other (of either the opposite sex or of the same sex), and I have been told that people who appear to be so religious that people think they could not possibly have molested someone are actually the most likely to have done so. In other words, if someone is saying that I could not possibly believe that Josh Duggar acted in a sexually inappropriate way because he is so religious, it is actually a sign that he may very likely have acted that way.

• Like 6

I do not think accusations of anything less than strict pedophilia, I.e. Expression of sexual desire towards a pre-pubescent child, should go on those lists or public record.

I do not take those accusations as evidence of anything but being a foolish teen and it is appalling that teen to teen sex-related crimes are made public. I do believe they should be prosecuted, of course, but once time is served, a child should get a second chance. And yes, I have daughters and yes I have been raped.

I still don't think a life sentence of infamy is an appropriate punishment.

Based on the link below, I would like to say that while I still stand by this, particularly the part of expression of sexual desire towards a pre-pubescent child, I'm sorry it's posted here because apparently this situation is much different than it appeared previously.

I hope they do get the help and justice they deserve.

• Like 6

This rumor originated with the fake blogger whose more well known persona was Razing Ruth. The woman had multiple online names and personas and was exposed as a fraud several years ago.

Knowing that the rumor was traced back to a fake blogger, I hate to see it given any credibility.

ETA: Oh no, it looks like there is evidence verifying it now. :( :( :( How very, very sad.

• Like 8

Funny, I've heard that rumor before, but I thought it was at their homeschooling camp thing in Big Sandy, Texas.  Does Texas have different rules than Arkansas?

I wonder if this whole thing came up again because of the rumors they had just bought a house in Arkansas so Josh could run for office.

• Like 2

I guess I don't understand why this is even "news" when it happened 10 years ago and appears to be a case of two teens who got caught fooling around. It reminds me of a certain IRL person I know who holds grudges for things people did 20 years ago and repeatedly brings them up. Things that had nothing to do with her. It's draining to be around.

• Like 10

I guess I don't understand why this is even "news" when it happened 10 years ago and appears to be a case of two teens who got caught fooling around. It reminds me of a certain IRL person I know who holds grudges for things people did 20 years ago and repeatedly brings them up. Things that had nothing to do with her. It's draining to be around.

The answer is that the adult/parent Duggars made the choice for the children's lives to be public. They make their living off of it. As part of that content, non-normative intimacy is one of the "draws" for whoever watches their show. Therefore, content that hints to sexual intrigue is going to be bandied about publically - which brings us back to the Duggar's choice they made for their children.

As far as the accusations, I think the whole thing is screwy. Either it was actionable legally or not. It if was 2 teens foraying into what teens foray into, why did the info "leak?" If it was nefarious and there was merit to the claim, I'd trust it would have been actioned upon.

• Like 10

Class 4 in Arkansas is someone who consents but who isn't able to give consent- either because they don't have the ability to do so due to disability, or because they were incapacitated due to drug or alcohol consumption.  So if he was fooling around with another teenager who wanted to be involved, he may or may not have understood "capacity" as a very sheltered teen himself. Somehow I doubt it.  Most college aged adults don't understand capacity.

I would imagine if the girl's parents had been that concerned THEY would have gone to the police themselves.  Or they would have leaked this info long ago that Josh was dangerous.  They didn't, they haven't, and every reference I've seen to this story prior to yesterday was from people who went to church with them - apparently they forced him to give some sort of public confession at church.  None of those people went to the police upon hearing the story either, apparently.

It does seem strange that this is an international story when all the accusations involve his behavior as a child.

• Like 1

The reason I suspect this rumor is true, is because it's been around for years. The facts have been pretty specific, and really haven't changed since I first heard of the story many years ago. It's a terrible story. 

• Like 1

TMZ is reporting it now. Still a tabloid, but they seem (often frighteningly) accurate. http://m.tmz.com/#Article/2015/05/21/josh-duggar-sex-scandal-sexually-molested-minor-girls-sisters-19-kids-and-counting-tlc

Allegations of 5 girls.

That's very disturbing because it would suggest it wasn't just the Holt girl whom he was courting but presumably some of his sisters (ick, ick, ick). Not that it's ok to be fondling your future wife while she sleeps but that's not going to cause the same kind of psychological trauma. It's normal to have the hots for the person you're considering marrying.

• Like 3

TMZ is reporting it now. Still a tabloid, but they seem (often frighteningly) accurate. http://m.tmz.com/#Article/2015/05/21/josh-duggar-sex-scandal-sexually-molested-minor-girls-sisters-19-kids-and-counting-tlc

Allegations of 5 girls.

So it started when he was 14? Does anyone know the timeline of how the incidents occurred?

I was picturing a couple of innocent teens secretly dating behind their parents' backs, but this sounds like a lot more than that.

How would the Duggar daughters' stories about their brother have been made public? Did church members rat them out after Josh's confession to the church?

This is confusing.

So it started when he was 14? Does anyone know the timeline of how the incidents occurred?

I was picturing a couple of innocent teens secretly dating behind their parents' backs, but this sounds like a lot more than that.

How would the Duggar daughters' stories about their brother have been made public? Did church members rat them out after Josh's confession to the church?

This is confusing.

The police report is in this article: http://www.intouchweekly.com/posts/bombshell-duggar-police-report-jim-bob-duggar-didn-t-report-son-josh-s-alleged-sex-offenses-for-more-than-a-year-58906