Menu

writing program, please help!

LEK

We need to try a new writing curriculum ASAP, we have been using WWE for the last 2 years and have completed 1 and 2, we have started 3 but honesly neither dd or myself can bring ourselves to work through it. It is working fine for her when we do get around to using it but it is tedious and just not appealing to either of us so it hardly ever gets done, we are currently 15 weeks into our school year (jan-dec) and have completed only 5 lessons all year. Yup, it is that unappealing that it does not get done even though she finds it quite easy. So now what? I have been researching for months thinking I 'might' suppliement WWE to break it up a bit (seeing as we already own WWE3) but now I think I might want to jump ship completely?  So undecided and confused. My daughter is mid way through 3rd grade and is not a strong writer, she is not really behind in writing but she is by no means ahead. Depending on the program I choose I will go with either a 2nd or 3rd grade level to begin with.

I think my top contenders are writing and rhetoric fable 1 or writing strands but honestly I am so lost and confused and not even sure if those should be on my list at all let alone at the top.

I have looked at bravewriter before and it is so confusing.

Preferably I would like something that is a bit less parent intense than WWE as that is one of the factors that is contributing to it not being used often enough. Something that sets out what to do (for her) in clear and logical steps. My daughter likes workbook style programs best and because of this they get done and are less stressful for me. And finally, ideally I would love something that is available as a PDF so i can download and use immediately and not have to pay huge postage to australia (and that I can use with my other 3 kiddos when they get to that stage).

Does this sound like a writing program that you know? Please tell me there is the perfect book out there just waiting for us :)

• Like 1

Writing Strands, Level 3. Way less teacher intensive, still excellent. Not a workbook, still easy to use.  It is not available as a PDF file, but I promise you that it will be ok for you to wait and do nothing officially for writing until arrives. :-)

I keep hoping for the international edition of Treasured Conversations. Wait a week and see if there is anything in the Build your own Bundle sale that appeals.

I think 8 is too busy right now. ELTL is PDF, you could also try things available on Kindle.

Thanks guys, checking them all out :)
I have added wordsmith apprentice to my wish list to order for next year, that looks great. And I have downloaded all the scott foreman books, they look like something my girls might like so i might give those a go for now and keep researching what direction to head in next year and add in a new writing curriculum when I place my big order for next year (in october, I only do one order a year as postage is a killer!). I think I am still, maybe, heading towards either writing and rhetoric fable 1 or writing strands for next year but I might just make do with the scott foreman books until then and increase the writing required in our science and history.
Oh and I remembered I have levels 1 and 2 of EIW on my shelf, never opened oops, might just see what we think of those too

• Like 1