Menu

Summer Math - LoF for rising 2nd, 3rd, 6th, 8th??

2squared

I'm trying to find something for each of my kids to use to solidify their math skills (2nd & 8th) and to push them ahead (3rd & 6th).  I am hoping to make use materials that are somewhat enjoyable and independent.  I work full-time, and I won't have time to teach them individually each day.  They are all strong readers, so I am thinking maybe they could read through Fred and do the assignments during the day and then I will review with them in the evenings.

Is this a good plan?  What would you do with kids these ages?

FWIW, my kids have been in public/private schools for 2 years now.  My 8th grader does not have a math mind, but she works hard and has average skills.  My 6th grader is extremely bright with math, works well independently, and pushes himself.  My 8th & 6th graders could/may work together as they are at similar levels.  My 3rd grader is bright but somewhat lazy intellectually.  My 2nd grader is a hard worker who pushes herself.  My 2nd & 3rd graders could work together, but probably not without my interference.  I'm not sure of her math capabilities yet (primarily b/c I didn't homeschool her at all).

Thanks for any ideas you can give me.

Generally I would recommend that anyone who is not yet ready for fractions should start at the beginning of the series with Apples. So that would be what I would do with your 2nd and 3rd graders. The older two I would probably start with Fractions. It would be good review for the 8th grader and has plenty of extra topics to keep the 6th grader challenged.