Menu

6th grade writing curriculum

parias1126

I'm looking for a writing curriculum (or maybe not an actual curriculum) for my son who is a rising 6th grader. He has ADHD and struggles to get words down on paper, spelled correctly, with proper punctuation. He literally can absolutely not do all these skills at once. 

I just brought him home from public school after spending 2 years there and being victim of a horrible bullying situation so we are still "deschooling" at this point. He has only been back home (he was homeschooled previously) now for about 4 weeks. To this point, other than using CLE math to try and catch him back up and fill in the holes, I haven't done anything other than have him journal and do things of interest to him. I have even used a free Spelling word list that I found online and have him write the words 3 times and put them into sentences just so that he is writing something and practicing punctuation and spelling. 

When we homeschooled previously, we used GWG and WWE with success, but unfortunately, after almost 3 years in the public school, he has lost all of that. He does not even know what a noun, verb, or adjective is at this point. We are starting from the beginning. :( 

I would love any suggestions you may have. We really need to work on spelling. He has the foundation and can spell when he takes his time, but taking is time is something he just doesn't do. We need to work on getting things from his brain onto the paper, all while keeping him less frustrated. 

If I do go with an actual writing curriculum, it would need to be "the beginning" and I would prefer one that doesn't show a grade on it as to not hurt his self-esteem. Levels are fine, but grade levels are definitely not. It's all a mental thing. I'm sure some of you can relate. 

How about the Writing With Ease Complete Writer book? It's not leveled, and you can go through all four levels in a year if you just use the models in the book. Treasured Conversations is another option. It's written for a 3rd or 4th grader, but I used it with a 5th grader who needed to work on writing. It also covers grammar and copy work, which help with spelling. We moved from Treasured Conversations to Maxwell's School Composition (which is free on Google books). Neither TC nor Maxwell's book have levels. I think the WWE text is divided into levels, but not grades.

The best remedial spelling I've found is Apples & Pears, which will also work on writing a bit, since it includes some sentence dictation. It does not have grade levels, just levels A-D. 

Dictations.

Pull a short paragraph from a book he likes. Write any tricky words up on the board.  Study them.  (What makes the sound /ee/ in "stream?"  What happened to the 'e' when we wrote hoping?  Why?)  Have him spell the words aloud without looking.  Copy the paragraph in your neatest handwriting.

The next day...review the tricky words. Discuss a few grammatical bits.  (What is the verb?  etc...)  Now cover up the paragraph and have him write it while you dictate.  If he is truly stumped, let him peek and cover again before resuming writing.  Peeking is concentrated study...planting the word into visual memory. 

Then pick a new passage for the next day.  Lather Rinse Repeat.

This is not graded.  You can tailor it to his interests. It will form that connection from idea-words-paper as quick as anything.  Plus, it's free except for paper.

IEW is great for ADHD. No grade level. You could start with SWI-B or TWSS if you want to be more active in teaching yourself with content from your other subjects (they sell combos if you want both, and even one that includes Fix-It for grammar, which I mention below). Both of these start at the beginning. My kids, particularly my two boys (12 and 9) LOVE Mr. Pudewa. He doesn't ask kids to use all the skills at once. He has kids double space their work and write in pen specifically so they have space to correct their inevitable, expected mistakes and don't waste time erasing. In other words, he really means it when he says rough draft. That is liberating here. The expectation of mistakes is shockingly rare in most curricula (another reason I recommend Brave Writer below, it's about a process, an attitude toward writing). Also, IEW's use of checklists helps the disorganized mind to stay organized.

With IEW, you can correct spelling as you go and only assign words he missed or find a program. (I can't help much with spelling because we use Spelling Power, and if spelling is a real struggle, he would probably benefit from something more procedural.)

I also highly recommend checking out the Brave Writer Lifestyle stuff. This is great for getting words on paper, but also as a boost to enjoyment of language in general. Great for relationship.

Take heart about the grammar. They all start at the beginning. I've used the same grammar program for four years in a row (Voyages in English) and it's the ultimate spiral program. Mostly old stuff you already learned with some new, more technical things thrown in. IEW has a newly updated program, Fix-It, which is supposed to be gentle and not too time-consuming but good. Or you could start with First Language Lessons 3 (which is technically a level, not a grade). Or you could choose something fun for this year and focus on writing. The Giggly Guide to Grammar is for grades 6-12 and described as Shel Silverstein meets Strunk and White. Rainbow Resource has it.

I would consider this a skills year but also a freedom year, a time when he doesn't have to worry about bullies. I would make it as fun as possible for both of you. 

• Like 3

I wouldn't start anything formal now though, by the way. I would wait until school starts again this fall. I would do BW Lifestyle stuff all summer though. It really is true lifestyle stuff. Maybe buy him a journal and some great pens? My DS12 lives for Sharpies and these Pilot pens.

Also, do you still read aloud to him? I can't recommend this highly enough. The longer I read to my older kids, the more fruit I see. Such bonding happens, and that's aside from the exposure to excellent literature and non-fiction. I would read him good books all summer long and then keep it up forever. :D