Menu

Need a daily planner for 4 children that won't make me nuts - thoughts?

Over the years, I have tried several methods of record keeping with my four children. This year, we maintained four separate copies of "The Complete Homeschool Planner and Journal" by Larry Zafran. 

We keep records for the sole purpose of documenting that we are meeting our state's legal requirements in the (extremely unlikely) event of an audit. I don't use the books for writing out lesson plans, meal plans, co-ops plans, devotions, etc. I just need them to prove that my kids logged 180 days and covered X material on Y day. 

While Mr. Zafran's book was admirably stripped-down, having 4 separate copies of it made me a little crazy. I want ONE spiral-bound book (it can be a bit bulky, as it usually does not leave the house) in which to record the daily activities of all four children on ONE page or two-page spread.

I would be extremely grateful for suggestions.  :wub:  

For the last year I have used an A4 sketchbook that has a bazillion pages. I have only two children, so a 2 page spread covers a week for me.

I mark the 2 page spread with a column for days of the week, & record any places we went to. The rest of the spread has boxes marked for each of the following:

Communication, reading & Lit, creativity, science & tech, maths, other

Each child has their own colour marker (& I use another colour to denote anything they did together.

It only takes 2 minutes each week to mark out my grid & I *loved* this system! It really worked for me & I will be doing it again this coming year.

I also included a few photos of each week on the next double page spread so I can keep it as a memory book of their year.

• Like 1

If you just need it for a log of 180 days worth of work x 4 children...

http://www.donnayoung.org/fi14a/planner-f/edwardian/edwkruld.pdf

Write the children's name across the top.  Jot down the subjects (math, spelling, etc...) down the left hand bar.  The last column can be for things done altogether.  You can just check the box for things you do open-and-go (math) or write in assignments (which chapter in what book).

I use this planner and love it. It's easy to use, I can fit all my kids onto a two page spread (although, that wouldn't work of you have more than five, but you could also do it by subject rather than child), it's inexpensive and there's no fluff - just the record keeping pages and a few pages for listing resources and field trips, etc. 

I plan using OneNote, and then transfer onto paper using the Mardel Planner. I put subjects down the side and color code my students in the boxes. For example, in the Math row, each day will have assignments written in orange, blue, purple & green for each child. I find that even with 4 students, I still have plenty of room. I use the column on the far right to list books I need to get from the library or supplies I need for projects that week. It really has everything I need to track our year.

I use the cheap teacher planner from CLE or Rod and Staff. It is designed for a classroom setting - days across the top, blank periods down the side. I use he periods for my children's names - gives me room for 7 kids, one cell for each day. If you don't need really detailed lesson plans, it's enough. $3/$7.

I like this one:  https://www.continentalpress.com/teacher-s-plan-books.html

It has decent size squares for 7 subjects.  I don't remember how old your dc are, but  maybe you could use 2 squares per child for the older 3, and one square for the youngest.  Or, use one square to write down combined work and give each child one and a half squares for individual work.