Menu

Post Homeschool Plans for a SAHM

I am always looking for post-child-years ex-SAHMs to mind my kids. They tend to charge a lot, though--$20/$30 per hour. If I found one who charged the going rate of $15/hr or $20 for driving hours, I'd be thrilled. If you're looking for ways to make money, and loved SAHMing, and live in a peri-urban area, that's an option if you don't have a passion for anything else.

I'm pretty seriously considering getting my teaching credential. Dd13 just registered for a small charter school that has a very similar style to my homeschool. When my youngest is older and I'm not homeschooling anybody, I would love to teach the integrated history and literature class for middle schoolers at dd's school.

• Like 3

Dream? I'd love to own a barn/stable and train horses. I did not grow up with them, do not know how to ride (well, I can get on a horse, and I understand the mechanics of riding a very well trained horse, but nothing more than that lol), and have no experience training them. It's a total dream though, and has been since I was a little kid.

Reality? Probably volunteer at a barn and learn to ride. I know it takes years and years of being with them and the horse world can be somewhat closed off to people who don't grow up in that world.

If we do this all the way through, G-d willing, I will be 59 when my youngest finishes high school. :svengo: 

I can't imagine that I'd be interested in going back to work, so I expect that my husband and I will travel FT.

• Like 1

I still have issues from my stroke, however my goal is to take some math and science classes the following spring and see about going back to school full time in the fall after that. My daughter turns 12 this October and by the time I would graduate she would be fourteen or fifteen. My husband does not go into work until about noon, so he is home and the college is right around the corner. Heck, BJU is behind my house., My daughter is starting online live classes also, so while I still need to home school her, she won't need me as much, right? :p

I hadn't planned on anything yet but an opportunity fell in my lap and I went back to work this past year.  Oldest will graduate next year and we are considering public school for the youngest. I went back to what I did before. I'm a children's librarian but at a public library instead of a school library.

If there was such thing as early intervention type work for school aged kids, that's what I'd want to do. I don't think it exists though, so I'm not sure what to do about it.

I don't know about Australia, but here in the U.S. there are options for working with special needs kids that are similar in many ways to what EI interventionists do. Applied Behavioral Analysis, Relationship Development Intervention, Social Thinking, the PLAY Project, Son Rise, etc.

• Like 1

Applied Behavioural Analysis sounds like a smart people thing. :p

I want to work to empower the parents more than work with the kids. Working with the child is giving them a fish. Empowering the parents is teaching them to fish, and the rest of their kids will get the benefits too. I don't know. I don't know what can be done, but you've given me a few new things to google, so thanks. :)

• Like 2

i've got 8-9 years of homeschooling left, but as my kids start leaving for college, I am wondering. My husband will still be working, so our travel will be limited for about five years. Trying some hobbies now,that kids are bigger, just to see what sticks. I am hoping to start volunteering this year in different capacties to see what I might enjoy. This summer, I plan to work the church nursery. I have been tutoring my kids using Barton Reading and Spelling which is a dyslexic reading and spelling program....I could tutor- even get certified- it could help with college expenses. We have two more years with only one in college, and after that we have two in college for the duration.What will life look look like, I don't know. I know I want to have fun, meet more people, get established in the community as we are not planning on continuing to move every few years.