Menu

Calculus for Fall- AP class necessary for taking AP test?

Ds took precalc last school year. This school year he did number theory, counting and probability (AoPS) and has been working with a mentor on proof writing. He refused to do algebra based physics, preferring to wait until he has the calculus under his belt and do the 'real thing.' So we are looking at calculus options for fall. We're considering BYU online high school (because he will get high school credit and have local proctors available for exams) or PA homeschoolers (because they offer AP classes). Ds will be able to take AP tests at the local high school.

Anyone have experience with these? Is it ok that the BYU course is not an AP course specifically? Any other good options? Ds is really starting to appreciate the social part of online coursework. He is young, but is ridiculously mature. Does PA Homeschoolers have a good social/group work component? FYI- he is not ready for AoPS calculus. Regular high school calculus will be fairly easy, but AoPS too hard so maybe AP is in between?

Thanks!

Technically, an AP-approved class is not needed to take an AP test, but you'll want to be sure the course covers the material that will be on the test. You'll also want to determine if DS will take the AP Calculus BC or AP Calculus AB test. BC covers more material. I think that "regular high school calculus" is usually along the lines of AB or BC, often depending upon the preparation of the students, workload, etc., but you'd really need to check on the particular course.

I know ChalkDust Calc covers all but one topic that AP Calc AB covers.  The AP Calc teacher at the local STEM magnet took a quick look at the TOC of my daughter's textbook (CD does not cover the entire text, so we marked the chapters it does cover) and told us one topic that is covered on the exam but not by CD.  My daughter covered that topic independently before the exam.  I don't have any idea how CD's scope and sequence compares to BJU's or anyone else's, but perhaps our technique would work for you.  I would be extremely surprised if BJU Calc covers the BC portion of the AP series, but it may well cover most of the AB topics.

Dd did Calculus at home using a combination of materials and a couple of Coursera classes. Used the review class on Coursera before taking the AB this year. Plans to use their review and take BC next year.

What was the topic on the AB exam that wasn't covered by Chalkdust? Thx!

Drat.  I knew somebody was going to ask me this.  I don't remember!  I think it was the next chapter after the CD lectures drop off.   I want to say it was some kind of series.