Menu

Johnny Depp told to send his dogs home

I never thought I would be pleased and proud of a politician.

It makes me so mad when rich and famouse people think they can flout laws of other countries and do their own things, risking animals in a whole country just because of their  extreme selfishness and sense of entitlement

But Depp didn't declare the dogs to customs and Agriculture Minister Barnaby Joyce says they have to "bugger off" back home.

"If we start letting movie stars - even though they've been the sexiest man alive twice - to come into our nation, then why don't we just break the laws for everybody?" Mr Joyce said on Thursday.

"It's time that Pistol and Boo buggered off back to the United States."http://www.news.com.au/national/breaking-news/depps-dogs-on-puppy-death-row/story-e6frfku9-1227354428436

I know! I got a change.org petition to 'save the dogs'. I like JD but yes, he can bugger off and take his dogs home with him. If he wants to bring them back, he can follow quarantine regulations like everyone else.

I agree.  Send the dogs home and do things properly like the rest of us little people. 

Let's also be honest, for Johnny Depp, the cost involved with sending his dogs home is minimal...even if he uses a private jet.  For the average person, it would be a far bigger burden.  Heck, Johnny could hire a dog nanny or whatever they call it to accompany them home.

Why hasn't he done it yet? Is he still waiting for special treatment?

I can't believe a politician used the expression bugger off. That would cause a stir here. (Note, not criticizing the politician. Just noting a difference.). I completely agree with him, too. Just cause JD is rich and famous and can rock the black eyeliner and crazy hair like nobody else, he still has to follow the laws.

Every morning Alexa (our Amazon Echo) gives me a flash news briefing.  The Johnny Depp thing was on there.  My in-laws moved to Ireland about 13 years ago and took two dogs with them.  Those dogs had to be in quarantine for 6 months before they could have them back.  They knew this before they left America.  They made arrangements ahead of time.  It was just following the law.  The news brief said there are people (here, in the US) taking to twitter to try to get Australia to reconsider and just let his dogs go free.  Arrogance.  Sure, the dogs are probably super healthy.  My in-laws' dogs certainly were.  But that doesn't matter.  The law is quarantine or they don't come in.  Just because he's famous, he doesn't get to ignore the laws.

I need it noted publicly that this is the one (and only) time I've agreed with Barnaby Joyce! We have some of strictest quarantine laws in the world for good reason. They are not a secret - they're plastered all over the internet, and well known internationally. I even had a shop owner audibly groan when I entered his shop in Ottawa and he realised I was an Aussie. He knew 3/4 of the shop was off-limits for me.

MSNative, "bugger-off" is considered pretty tame here. Joyce is a conservative politician from the National Party, which represents the bush and farmers. He's not known for his oratory skills, but he is quite vocal. Most of his constituents will be applauding him, more so because he didn't mince his words with a famous actor. A few will lament his turn of phrase, but I think it was quite calculated.

My in-laws moved to Ireland about 13 years ago and took two dogs with them.  Those dogs had to be in quarantine for 6 months before they could have them back.  They knew this before they left America.  They made arrangements ahead of time.  It was just following the law.  The news brief said there are people (here, in the US) taking to twitter to try to get Australia to reconsider and just let his dogs go free.  Arrogance.  Sure, the dogs are probably super healthy.  My in-laws' dogs certainly were.  But that doesn't matter.  The law is quarantine or they don't come in.  Just because he's famous, he doesn't get to ignore the laws.

When I was a young single teacher, I considered applying to be a DOD teacher on a U.S. base somewhere overseas. Every country I checked into had quarantine requirements for dogs and I wasn't willing to do that so I changed my mind and decided not to apply. Like your in-laws, I knew the rules ahead of time. I can't see how Depp, who travels the world on a regular basis wouldn't have known. He just thought he was too famous for some silly law*

It doesn't matter if the dogs are super healthy. Most people would probably say theirs were super healthy. You can't just take the owner's word for it, hence the laws in various countries. 

*I'm not saying the law is silly, just thinking that was possibly (probably) his mindset.

I wonder if he just thought Australia would look the other way for him? In America it seems like the famous, rich, powerful, and well connected get away with a lot of things due to their fame, money, or power. Either way, good for Australia for telling him to stuff it and obey the law.

I need it noted publicly that this is the one (and only) time I've agreed with Barnaby Joyce! We have some of strictest quarantine laws in the world for good reason. They are not a secret - they're plastered all over the internet, and well known internationally. I even had a shop owner audibly grown when I entered his shop in Ottawa and he realised I was an Aussie. He knew 3/4 of the shop was off-limits for me.

MSNative, "bugger-off" is considered pretty tame here. Joyce is a conservative politician from the National Party, which represents the bush and farmers. He's not known for his oratory skills, but he is quite vocal. Most of his constituents will be applauding him, more so because he didn't mince his words with a famous actor. A few will lament his turn of phrase, but I think it was quite calculated.

I am remembering the postscript in 84 Charing Cross Road when Helene Hanff writes, "I sure hope that 'madame' does not mean over there what it does here."  [approximate quote, going from memory]

Good for Australia!  We cannot even bring a live plant into the U.S., never mind a dog, without Customs Commotion. 

I like Yorkies as much as the next dog lover, but feel no need to cut slack for some actor. 

It's not just other countries - Hawaii also has quarantine laws.  my sil got a cat from a woman who didn't want to put her precious kitty in quarantine when she moved to Hawaii from the mainland.

I know! I got a change.org petition to 'save the dogs'. I like JD but yes, he can bugger off and take his dogs home with him. If he wants to bring them back, he can follow quarantine regulations like everyone else.

Absolutely!

This is a public health issue and JD broke the law. Honestly, I think his punishment should have been stronger.

I love dogs and understand why he wanted to bring them with him, but quarantine laws are in place for a reason and everyone should have to abide by them.

I've always wondered about quarantine: are the owners allowed to visit with the animals and take them for walks and stuff in the facility? Or is it no contact?

I don't know how it works in other countries, but I can tell you how it works in the Republic of Ireland.  For the first month my IL's dogs were in veterinary quarantine.  They lived at the vet, but my IL's could go visit them.  They could only visit through the fence.  It was hard because the dogs didn't understand why the visits had to be that way.  They ended up only visiting 3 or 4 times that month because of that.  The other 5 months, the dogs were allowed to be on my IL's property, but they had to construct a double fence of a certain height.  The dogs had to stay inside the fence the entire 5 months.  The vet and other authorities could drop in at any time to check to be sure they were following the law.  They had a few visits the first couple months, but I guess because they were always following the law to a T the last few months had only a couple visits (other than required vet checks).  At the end of the 6 months the dogs were examined again and released from quarantine.

• 11 months later...

bumping to finish this tale off. 

Their apology video is mindbogglingly awful 

I like The Guardian's take 

Beware: don’t do anything to annoy the Australian government. You too may have to record an apology video as toe-curling and excruciating as this pair

Beware: don’t do anything to annoy the Australian government. You too may have to record an apology video as toe-curling and excruciating as this pair

:lol:

I doubt it took brainwashing. How about  threatening to yank their visas and permanently deport them, which if Depp is shooting a movie there would cost him and the studio millions and millions of dollars. Probably had studio exec lawyers as well as his own very deferentially begging/ordering him to suck it up and do as he's told. :lol:

:smilielol5: The article was priceless. 

LOL..the video is hilarious. It reminds me of being in school and when you did something wrong the teacher would make you write an apology essay to read to the class...clearly this is a traditional Australian punishment lol.

That being said...his wife looks like she could be his daughter :)

and bugger off is not really a swear word in Australia...it's considered politer then the other version lol

Save the dogs from being sent to Depp's mansion where they are undoubtedly treated like royalty?

If he actually couldn't afford to return them, then I could see an argument for allowing some rescue group to pay their quarantine fees and rehome them, but I think Depp can afford the airfare.

I've always wondered about quarantine: are the owners allowed to visit with the animals and take them for walks and stuff in the facility? Or is it no contact?

Yes. My friend and her two young sons travelled quite a long distance twice a week to be able to exercise her dogs. (Dogs moved from South Africa to Australia - I think it was a 6 month quarantine and that some of it was competed in South Africa although I might be wrong about that.)

Yes, Australia is a wonderful island.     Who wrote that drivel???  Clearly it wasn't a lawyer from Hollywood.  Good grief..  They look dumber than doorposts. 

Am I hearing things or was Johnny trying to put on an English accent?  Or was is Australian???   And he's bobbing his head around a little like Capt. Jack.  Weird.  

I used to like him - but he's gotten creepier and creepier in the last 10yrs.   Maybe he sold his soul to the devil when he was hired to play Captain Jack Sparrow, because he really hasn't been the same since.

So who do you put your money on to be first to parody this "performance".

Yes, Australia is a wonderful island. Who wrote that drivel??? Clearly it wasn't a lawyer from Hollywood. Good grief.. They look dumber than doorposts.

Am I hearing things or was Johnny trying to put on an English accent? Or was is Australian??? And he's bobbing his head around a little like Capt. Jack. Weird.

I used to like him - but he's gotten creepier and creepier in the last 10yrs. Maybe he sold his soul to the devil when he was hired to play Captain Jack Sparrow, because he really hasn't been the same since.

So who do you put your money on to be first to parody this "performance".

Oh, I'm sure SNL is going to have a field day with this one.

Archived