Menu

Gift for multiple graduation parties

flopsymopsy

We are part of a couple homeschool coops as well as involved in homeschool sports teams. Both my husband and I are in leadership roles in the homeschool communities. Each year at this time we receive multiple invites to graduation parties. We love being a part of the homeschooling communities however, financially, this is a real struggle for us. Even $20 per student adds up with the numbers of invites we have. Any gift ideas that will not break the bank AND not scream inexpensive? I am open to ideas! Thanks so much.

• Like 1

I think small gift cards can fit the bill well for these - for a book store, or coffee shop, or someplace like Chipotle or Panera.  I think it's hard to give someone you know less well stuff.  Lots of kids might be paring stuff down to go to college.

• Like 2

For the college-bound, a collection of pens/highlighters in a holder

A mug/travel mug filled with instant coffee or hot chocolate packets

A cookbook

And there is nothing that beats a handwritten note with heartfelt congratulations

• Like 1

For somewhat similar reasons we go to a lot of weddings--often where only my husband knows only one of the parties.  We have a standard book we always give.  I truly think these invitations are given in the spirit of wanting to celebrate and not thinking at all of gifts.  My personal favorite graduation book is Charles Murray's, The Curmudgeon's Guide to Getting Ahead.

I have been making candy bouquets, and I can make them for under $10 each. 

Here's an example of how to make one:

http://www.thriftyfun.com/Making-a-Candy-Bouquet.html

I use clear packing tape to hold the boxes together because the glue was too fussy and didn't hold up well. Plus the tape is faster. One strip around the center of the boxes and one strip on the bottom to hold the foam in. 

I also use lollipop sticks and fun size candy bars, using a glue gun to attach the candy to the sticks.  25 sticks is $2 at Walmart and I use 12 fun size candy bars, which I can get in six packs for $1 per pack.  The theater boxes of candy are 88 cents each and the foam is packed in three blocks for under $3 at Walmart.   I have tissue in different colors and I cut pieces and put it on the sticks to use as filler.  I make a little sign/card from a plain index card and hot glue or tie it on.  

Yeah, I know it's not a 'remember forever' gift but for $10, it does the trick. For kids who truly means something to our family, I attach some money. $2 bills are nice and I can add $20 worth to a bouquet and it's a pretty gift. 

I've moved to this because buying cards and wrapping paper and ordering things online from kids' colleges is just too expensive.  

• Like 2

Do you have to bring a gift? I always bring gifts, so I'm not sure what the etiquette is. I do know that several times folks have seemed overly appreciative of our (cash) gifts in such a way as that it seems that we must be out-of-the-norm for graduation/Eagle/etc gifts (typically 50-100, but we can afford it, as we are only invited to these sorts of things once or twice a year, as we don't participate in co-ops, etc.). I get the impression that most folks around here don't give gifts for Eagles and many don't give gifts for grads, either. We're hosting a bash for our eldest's graduation next weekend, and I sure hope folks don't feel obligated to give gifts if the $$ is an issue. 

If you do feel it is obligatory to give a gift, then I love the idea of something practical and inexpensive. A carry-all for toiletries, a medical-supply starter kit (compiled from the $1 section at Walmart or a dollar store, you could go far with $10 -- a handful of OTC meds/bandaids/woundwash/etc), cleaning supplies if you know the kid will be moving in to suite-style housing or an apartment in which they'll need to clean . . . A laundry bag -- if you have fabric markers or paint, you could buy an inexpensive laundry bag and put their name +/- designs on it. . . And, by all means, don't spend $4 on a card -- make one, or use a blank one you already have around the house. :)

• Like 1

I second the flash drive idea. Super useful for college-bound students. 

Mine no longer use flash drives. Everything is saved in "cloud" format, and can be accessed from any computer he logs into both at home and on campus. And most work is turned in via the "cloud". I wonder if this is becoming more common.

• Like 1

Do you have to bring a gift? I always bring gifts, so I'm not sure what the etiquette is. I do know that several times folks have seemed overly appreciative of our (cash) gifts in such a way as that it seems that we must be out-of-the-norm for graduation/Eagle/etc gifts (typically 50-100, but we can afford it, as we are only invited to these sorts of things once or twice a year, as we don't participate in co-ops, etc.). I get the impression that most folks around here don't give gifts for Eagles and many don't give gifts for grads, either. We're hosting a bash for our eldest's graduation next weekend, and I sure hope folks don't feel obligated to give gifts if the $$ is an issue. 

If you do feel it is obligatory to give a gift, then I love the idea of something practical and inexpensive. A carry-all for toiletries, a medical-supply starter kit (compiled from the $1 section at Walmart or a dollar store, you could go far with $10 -- a handful of OTC meds/bandaids/woundwash/etc), cleaning supplies if you know the kid will be moving in to suite-style housing or an apartment in which they'll need to clean . . . A laundry bag -- if you have fabric markers or paint, you could buy an inexpensive laundry bag and put their name +/- designs on it. . . And, by all means, don't spend $4 on a card -- make one, or use a blank one you already have around the house. :)

Around here, it is normal for people to bring gifts if they come to graduation parties, usually cash or gift cards. Not normal at Eagle ceremonies around here.

• Like 1

Your situation is crying out for a signature gift, perhaps something you can buy in bulk and off-season and keep on hand.  I like the first aid kid someone suggested.  A cute plastic box from the dollar store, and you can divvy up band-aids and other supplies that you buy in bulk.  If you sew even a little, I'm sure there are scads of little envelopes and pockets that you can make from scraps.  You could include a sheet of Benadryl tablets in the blister pack (divide up a full pack) and maybe divide OTC pain relievers among little pill boxes (with appropriate labels and a laminated card with dosage information).  I'm liking this idea so much that I may steal it.

I also think a book is a good idea.  It could be the same for everyone.  Study habits, finances, setting goals, etc., would all be good topics, especially if it is a book that has been important to you and your husband.

• Like 1

Which Academies?  

When I hear "Academies", I think of military academies: West Point,  the Naval Academy, US Coast Guard Academy, the Air Force Academy. I've never heard of other colleges or universities in the US as being referred to as academies.

When I hear "Academies", I think of military academies: West Point,  the Naval Academy, US Coast Guard Academy, the Air Force Academy. I've never heard of other colleges or universities in the US as being referred to as academies.

I was thinking the same thing, but we have a friend in the Marines & I don't thing they are restricted.  The active troops are, but I'm not sure about the students?

Not for graduation, but I had a great idea for all the boys I have to give Eagle gifts to--old patches! I have quite the collection, many of which are very old. The next one goes out next week, with a 1985 National Jamboree patch!

I didn't know you're supposed to give a gift when a boy achieves Eagle Scout. 

• 2 weeks later...

Resurrecting this in search of more ideas.  In past years we've given gifts to two or three grads, but with our own grad this year we know a lot more of them.  So far we've received ten invitations, and I expect another four or five to come in the next couple of weeks.  Yikes!