Menu

Help choosing spelling curriculum

Bexter

I've been searching these forums for about a month and finding some great suggestions and advice, so thank you! :) I decided to sign up and post because I need specific advice that I couldn't find through searching and am hoping someone can help me out. I'm really struggling with choosing a spelling curriculum! lol Probably shouldn't stress it as much as I am...

Some background: I have 4 kids. This fall my oldest girl will be in 3rd grade, oldest boy in 2nd, younger girl will be 4 (beginning casual pre-k at home) and youngest boy will be 2. The oldest went to public K and 1st grade, reads fairly well (struggles with "big" words), has poor reading comprehension and is mostly a natural speller although I haven't had her writing much this year other than in MCP Phonics. She loves copywork and does it in her free time. My oldest boy went to public K and learned almost nothing. This year at home he's learned to read! :) We're doing Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons and I LOVE it! He's on lesson 60 (because we don't move forward until he is doing well) and he's still sounding out almost every word so I'm trying to use Bob books to teach him sight words but hey, at the beginning of the year he couldn't even tell me what the letters were or what sound they make so I'm counting it as a win. ;) He's been doing HWOT and I've seen a huge improvement in his handwriting with that. He's able to write a few 2-3 letter words on his own. He doesn't like to read but enjoys HWOT. Neither of my kids have done any grammar, I thought they weren't supposed to start that until 4th grade...oops! We'll be doing FLL 1 over the summer to catch up. For both kids I've been lazily doing spellingcity. It's ok for supplement but I feel like my kids need to be physically writing words on paper and they aren't learning spelling rules. 

I want something that goes well with the LA curriculum I've already chosen, doesn't have a million pieces to get lost (like AAS), is quick or can be done mostly independently, teaches spelling rules and can be used for both natural spellers and struggling spellers/readers. I don't like doing a lot of prep work or prior reading, I just want to open a book and go. 

Our LA curriculum for the fall will be HWOT cursive and print (ugly but it works!), MCP Phonics B & C, WWE 2 & 3, FLL 2 and maybe 3 (can't decide where to begin with oldest dd). 

I think I've narrowed it down to R&S Spelling or Spelling Workout but can't decide between the 2. I've also considered AAS (but it might drive me crazy for the same reason Right Start math did) and Sequential Spelling (doesn't teach rules??). 

I'll throw another couple out there for you. How to Spell workbooks (How to Teach Spelling program's workbooks) are rule oriented and incremental, like AAS, but in open and go workbook form. May be a little too much for a natural speller, though she may not have a really strong phonics foundation anyway, and this will shore up that in the same way AAS would. https://www.rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?subject=Spelling%2FVocabulary&category=How+to+Teach+Spelling+%26+How+to+Spell+Worktexts

I'm using Spelling Power right now. It's very open and go, 15 minutes a day, and works where the child is. It does have rules. But How To Spell will be more incremental. It sounds like that might be a benefit in your situation.

As an aside, I wouldn't do spelling (or grammar for that matter), until reading is solid. It's ok to wait imo.

I want something that goes well with the LA curriculum I've already chosen, doesn't have a million pieces to get lost (like AAS), is quick or can be done mostly independently, teaches spelling rules and can be used for both natural spellers and struggling spellers/readers. I don't like doing a lot of prep work or prior reading, I just want to open a book and go. 

Our LA curriculum for the fall will be HWOT cursive and print (ugly but it works!), MCP Phonics B & C, WWE 2 & 3, FLL 2 and maybe 3 (can't decide where to begin with oldest dd). 

I think I've narrowed it down to R&S Spelling or Spelling Workout but can't decide between the 2. I've also considered AAS (but it might drive me crazy for the same reason Right Start math did) and Sequential Spelling (doesn't teach rules??). 

I hear you.  From another mom of 4dc, might I gently suggest that the workload for *you* (described there) is likely going to be quite overwhelming.

I'm going to advise something completely different. Take it fwiw.  Yes, I sell some of the things I'm going to recommend, but even if you don't buy anything from me, consider the concept of combining where you can and simplifying the individual skills into doable (consistently and well done) daily bites.  You have to leave time for the 2yo and the 4yo.

Combine:  

Phonics - Happy Phonics! These are games to play together.  Right now, your older two can play.  As the year passes, your middle two can play.  As your 2nd child outgrows these games, your current 2yo can play.  They will all learn all of their phonograms through these games, painlessly.  Drop the wb, and just play Happy Phonics.  If Happy Phonics is not enough, add in Read, Write, Type by www.talkingfingers.com   RWT is independent and fun.  Happy Phonics can be done without mom directly involved once the games are learned.  Lots of bang for your buck!  Lots of skills gained for your time!

Grammar - Your dc are so close in age that you really can combine basic grammar lessons. I recommend The Sentence Family.  Go through that program together as a family.  Review the material within each child's copywork.  During those copywork lessons, you can direct the review at the child's level as needed.  

Literature - Pick some wonderful literature selections to read aloud.  Pick a few to buddy read with any child who is reading fluently and won't be discouraged by stumbling.

Simplify:

Handwriting & Spelling - After a brief session to learn letter formation (cursive), use cursive in spelling.  This pulls double-duty (two birds-one stone) saving time, and it helps solidify both the handwriting and the spelling when they are combined. Essentials in Spelling Grade 2, linked in my siggie, was written to be a starting point for both cursive and spelling.  (Grade 3 samples are up now.  The rest will be up for sale probably Friday.)  OK - so if Essentials doesn't fit, still pick a spelling that utilizes the cursive that you are teaching.  You can then drop formal handwriting lessons.

Reading Fluency/Copywork/Narration - I am writing the Companion for the Treadwell Readers to cover these 3 skills.  I have Grade 2 out on my lulu.com link.  (Grade 3 is almost done.  I'm aiming for the end of May.)  You can see samples of Grade 2 at lulu.com  Word building, great stories in the readers, copywork, poetry and more copywork and oral narrations are laid out.  OK - so if these are not a fit, I would still advise you to choose good reading material for the kids to practice on, pull the tricky words out before they read it, and practice decoding and playing around with the phonics of the words.  Read the story, and then do some copywork from the story.  Then have the child retell the story in their own words.  It sounds like a lot, but it is the most efficient way to gain both reading and writing fluency.

The plan I gave requires 2 15min 1-on-1 lessons for each school age child. (That is an hour for you.) The rest is done together in morning circle, during the little one's nap time, or at bedtime for the literature.

This leaves time for math. This leaves time for potty training.  This leaves time for Candyland with the 4yo.  This leaves time for lunch and the park, etc...

Plus, this focuses *your* 1-on-1 time where it counts, making sure letters are formed properly, words are spelled correctly, listening to new readers, teaching decoding skills, listening to oral narrations, reading poetry.  Those things are priority for the 1-on-1 time at the stages and ages of your dc.

jme.  ymmv.

As an aside, I wouldn't do spelling (or grammar for that matter), until reading is solid. It's ok to wait imo.

I'm glad you said this. I wanted to do that but wasn't sure if it would be a good idea. 

4blessingmom, that's a good point about combining and simplifying. I am a little worried about being overwhelmed with all of my curriculum choices but I since I already bought almost all of it I really don't want (and can't afford) to change it all. HWOT and MCP phonics can be done independently other than a few questions here and there. I'm hoping WWE can be done independently by my older dd at least, other than the dictation. They'll both do grade 2 spelling and since neither of them have done grammar I think I'll combine FLL as well. SOTW is combined and math is CTCmath which is almost completely independent (yay!). Science and art are also combined. The focus for the summer is getting them solid in reading and we'll go from there.

4blessingmom, that's a good point about combining and simplifying. I am a little worried about being overwhelmed with all of my curriculum choices but I since I already bought almost all of it I really don't want (and can't afford) to change it all. HWOT and MCP phonics can be done independently other than a few questions here and there. I'm hoping WWE can be done independently by my older dd at least, other than the dictation. They'll both do grade 2 spelling and since neither of them have done grammar I think I'll combine FLL as well. SOTW is combined and math is CTCmath which is almost completely independent (yay!). Science and art are also combined. The focus for the summer is getting them solid in reading and we'll go from there.

Oh, I understand.  I just wanted to give you a bird's eye view of how you could do things if you find one or both are not ready for that level of independence.  

ALB- I am in the same boat! Spelling WO B for one and R&S 3,4 for my older! I like both. My son needed R&S because he officially started in 2nd grade for his spelling. Juggling the 3 kids, and learning issues, everything came  together when R&S came along. My girl can do Spelling workout fine, but my son needed R&S because of the Christian teachings and the focus being just slightly different. My boy has an aversion to writing. So, even though it is great reinforcement for some to write the words in sentences, Spelling workout last page was another reason for my son to dislike spelling or english as a subject. My dd loves the writing using some of the words and making up stuff. My son would rather aurally say the words in a sentence and not have to write everything out. So, I make him say the word in a sentence and make him spell the word when he says it in the sentence as part of the drill activity. I would say SWO is a little bit more open and go once you do the drill and they know how to see, say, draw, write the word, but you really have to know your student. I also bought the AAS tiles, because sometimes, it helps for really difficult to remember words, to put them up high on a spelling board with different colors to help them solidify it in their heads, so they are using a different ways to photographically memorize it in their brains. (for non-natural spellers)

I did a blog post recently comparing Spelling Workout and Rod & Staff Spelling.  Here it is if you want to check it out!

They are both great programs, IMO!

Thank you so much for this post, it really helped me decide between the 2. I just bought R&S for next school year and think it will be a good fit for us. :)

• Like 1