Menu

Next week, at least for a day or 2, I will have a few hours to fill and want a good biography to read

lynn

Who would you recommend and which specific book.

Oh, I have jury duty and from what I understand it's hours of doing nothing at times so an interesting biography would be great.

if you have any other good books to recommend in case I have to be there more than a day or 2 please let me know.  TIA

The only two I have read recently is:

Steven Tyler's, "Does the Noise in My Head Bother You?".  I'm a fan, not intensely so, but I found it fascinating, many parts of it.  I'm not sure if my fascination was from the fact that he's still alive and of some sort of mental capacity, lol, or if I was more fascinated by the fact that his stuff hasn't fallen off yet. LOL  I don't know if I should admit to even reading it, he was pretty trashy, but it was free on Kindle at one time so...

I also liked Andre Agassi's book, "Open".  Many things about him in there I would not have guessed.  I used to have THE biggest crush on him in the 80's when I really kept up with tennis so some of the events in his life shocked me actually.

Not sure if those are your cuppa, but there they are :)

Just a heads up, and I am sure this isn't the case everywhere, but when I had jury duty they would NOT let us read.   We all had to sit there for hours and hours while they fought and picked juries and we had absolutely no reason to pay attention, and they would not let us read or do anything but sit there, in silence.   It was so stupid. 

I understand when you are listening during a trial, you shouldn't be reading a book.   But when they are selecting a jury, and very quickly get rid of a whole group of people and then are just fighting over the last people....there is no reason why everyone else can't read a book.  

Anyway, hopefully it won't apply in your situation!

The last autobiography (sort of - part of his life, not the whole thing, but dealt with meaning and was quite good AFTER the first couple of chapters) I read was:

The Lunatic Express:  Discovering the World via it's Most Dangerous Buses, Boats, Trains, and Planes

http://www.amazon.com/The-Lunatic-Express-Discovering-Dangerous/dp/0767929810

It may not be what you are looking for (not a real autobiography from beginning to end of ones life), but one never knows.

A reasonably recent autobiography that I really liked was:

Becoming Dr Q:  My Journey from Migrant Farm Worker to Brain Surgeon

http://www.amazon.com/Becoming-Dr-Journey-Migrant-Surgeon/dp/0520274563/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1431383331&sr=1-1&keywords=Dr+Q

The Glass Castle was also quite good and a real autobiography IMO:

http://www.amazon.com/Glass-Castle-Memoir-Jeannette-Walls/dp/074324754X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1431383492&sr=1-1&keywords=The+Glass+Castle

If you are a sewist , I just read Nancy zieman's autobiography 'Seams unlikely'. It was really good.

Nancy runs the quilt expo I attend every September and yesterday she sent out an email that said last month she found out she had bone cancer and they removed a tumor in her leg and will start therapy soon. She expects to be at the expo! She's a lovely woman!  Her book was really good. 

• Like 1

I enjoyed Cleopatra: A Life by Stacy Schiff.  I'd also recommend anything by David McCullough.

I was just coming to recommend Cleopatra!  I really enjoyed it.  It is one of the few biographies that has stayed with me.

In my county we are absolutely allowed to read during the selection phase of the jury selection. In fact, the judge encourages it b/c the jurors are expected to sit in silence. Everyone who works for the court needs to be able to hear what is said during the questioning of jurors. The judge will allow kindles but not phones or ipods b/c of the risk of recording. But now that kindles are almost ipods that might have changed. So, it might be best to be cautious and not get an e-book.

Nancy runs the quilt expo I attend every September and yesterday she sent out an email that said last month she found out she had bone cancer and they removed a tumor in her leg and will start therapy soon. She expects to be at the expo! She's a lovely woman! Her book was really good.

I saw her blog post which was video where she stated that I'm fact, the tumor resulted her having a partiaLy bionic leg. She is now considered cancer free wow. She has been thru a lot. Wonderful book, wonderful woman.

• Like 1

I love reading Biographies and memoirs...  I'm enjoying all these recommendations:

I've picked up and read the first two chapters of "A Daughter's Tale: the memoir of Winston and Clemintine Churchill's Youngest Daughter".   It was very good, but hten a book from the library came in and I need to finish that one first.

Also:

Losing Mum and Pup by Christopher Buckley.  Very good book

Twelve Babies on a Bike by Dunn - if you like Call the Midwife you'll like this.

Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to Know by Ranulph Fiennes

Off to put some of these others on my "to read" list.

I love biographies. For some short, easy reads, I'd recommend Jacob Abbot. You can get those on your e-reader for free. Right now I'm enjoying one by him about Hannibal. He also wrote a good one on Alexander the Great. He wrote a ton of them. Abraham Lincoln apparently liked them too.

A couple bios I've read over the past few years that stick out in my mind are "Peter the Great" by Robert K. Massie. It's quite a read, not exactly easy, but it's really good. And another one, that is a fairly easy read, but some might find it odd - "The Lost Life of Eva Braun" by Angela Lambert. I found that one in the library. It was good. She was absolutely not what I expected.

Oh, and another one, that wouldn't be a biography in the strictest sense, but it is a true life story is "The Company We Keep: A Husband-and-Wife True-Life Spy Story" by Robert Baer and Dayna Baer. I really enjoyed that one. They were CIA operatives. I loved that book because I've always wanted to be a spy. Just like Sydney Bristow.