Menu

Nothing New/Mindful Spending Week 19

Quill

The "rules" of this challenge are self-defined. Anyone can join in at any time. The aim of the challenge (for me) is to combat consumerism, wastefulness, mindless buying, and overspending. It is meant to nurture creative problem solving, ecology, frugality, intentionalism, and resourcefulness. To support these goals, I seek to buy nothing new. I aim to use existing resources, borrow, hand-craft, and buy existing second-hand materials to the greatest extent possible. However, I recognize that life is unpredictable, and family life increases this factor exponentially, so I will buy new in the following cases, when a non-buying option does not present:

Food, health, and necessary household goods excluded.

Requirements for school, work, or health and well-being which cannot be obtained used.

Gifts, when a creative non-commercial option will not suffice.

Anything animal or gardening related that cannot be obtained used.

Fuel/energy sources.

Posts will appear each Saturday, referring to the week that is ending. Post your successes, creative solutions, relapses and weak moments. It doesn't matter if you have a weak moment! Just keep swimming!

Sorry I'm a day late on this; I just came back from NC, where my niece just graduated from UNCG.

No big spending problems this past week. I am buying some things for DD to take to college next year. Bought her a new backpack. Jansport, which has a lifetime guarantee. This pleases me, because her past two backpacks were Vera Bradley and, while cute, those things do not last. First, she was being a fussy princess, because I said I was not buying any more VB bags and that this is the last backpack I'm buying her. So, she got proactive about it and found a Jansport bag that she loves. Win-Win.

I'm thinking about buying a firepit for our patio, so we can have it for DD's grad party. Anyone have any experience with stand-alone, wood-burning firepits? I expect to probably get one from Plow & Hearth. We actually do have a natural bonfire pit on our property, but it is far from the house and there is no lighting. We have had it for parties before, but it's so far away from the central party that people either don't go out there or don't really hang around there.

I didn't spend much else except gift and card for my niece, plus oil change and gasoline for the drive. Oh, and eating on the drive.

• Like 2

I bought my mom flowers and gift cards for Mother's Day and her birthday.  Not out of the reasonable range.  A birthday card for my good friend.  That's about it as far as tangible stuff.

We went out to eat more than usual this week.  Well, the girls had a soccer game the other day and lost miserably.  And the other team's coach was an obnoxious butthead.  So they needed a consolation meal.  :P  Then there was Mother's Day and birthday eating....

Signed the kids up for summer swim team, total cost $130 for both kids.  But I will probably cut their Little Gym classes down to 1 each, which will save me some $XXX.  (I don't know how much yet.)  Next I have to sign the kids up for horse riding camp, and finally the rec center camp to fill in all the gaps.  Unlike past years, I probably won't send them to a second camp on days when they only have a morning camp.  They are big enough to take care of themselves while I work in the afternoons.  I'm also dropping piano lessons in favor of teaching them myself.

Still have not pushed the button on that Amazon order.  My kid is hitting me up to add more books to the order.  I definitely have spoiled kids.

And that same kid is growing like anything.  She is going to need new shoes.  Normally I just let them use their used gym shoes for summer play shoes, but that isn't going to work this year.  :/  When I was a kid, this would mean a trip to the Salvation Army, but that's not the way I roll, even if I had the time for shoe shopping, which I don't.  So that's another thing to add to my Amazon order.  I'd better start looking for a discount.

• Like 2

Spendy week for me.  We were invited to attend an event in honor of a member of the extended family.  Since this required a drive and hotel room, we decided to make a mini-vacation out of it and tack on a second night at a hotel.  While in the Raleigh area, we went to a great independent bookstore and an equally fine used bookshop.  Purchases made at each.  We spent some time at the NC Museum of Art (free) and had an amazing meal at a lovely farm to table type restaurant.

We returned to the coast as early bands of tropical storm Ana were approaching. The wind and rain kept us indoors, an excuse to make strawberry jam (future gifts) and pull out my sewing machine.

• Like 1

I took a painting class at a local boutique this weekend - Annie Sloan technique. The class was $80, but I got $50 back in a gift card to put towards paint in the shop. We have loads of fantastic antique and consignment shops around here, and I've been buying things here and there for the new house - really unique pieces, and saving a bunch buying second hand. We've been out to eat a couple times over the last couple weeks, but other than that, just relaxing and waiting for the rainy season to pass.

• Like 1

We did ok this week, though we did spend some money on entertainment.  That's just something we do, so it's already in the budget and we spend it without guilt. We saw a friend in a play, which was a British humor piece based on the old series Have You Been Served.  And today dh and I saw Hot Pursuit, and that was a bargain. I got in free because it was Mother's Day and we had popcorn for dinner, so our total for the outing was $17. 

Quill, when dd decided to ditch the stylish but crummy backpacks in favor of Jansport, I was so happy!!!  So I understand your enthusiasm. 

• Like 2

I am now spending unplanned (but saved) money on physical therapy for my shoulder :(

We got carryout from the local brew pub Friday sans the brew. I felt like I had hit a mental and physical wall that afternoon, and I just could not contemplate cooking that night.

On Friday we visited the growler store for a Mother's Day double IPA treat :D (dh chose a cider as he is allergic to hops--the horror!)

And then yesterday, we splurged on steaks from the meat farm ;) Holy cow (:lol:) they were amazing! So far, 2/2 for the cuts we have tried. We are inching closer to buying that 1/2 cow.

• Like 2

And then yesterday, we splurged on steaks from the meat farm ;) Holy cow (:lol:) they were amazing! So far, 2/2 for the cuts we have tried. We are inching closer to buying that 1/2 cow.

What farm? We split a half cow with my brother each year from rumbleway farms. It's the absolute best beef I've ever had

This weekend was a bit spendy for my liking but all for good reason. We had dad's breakfast dinner at dunkin donuts, her choice.

We had to buy dh brown dress shoes for his sister's wedding. Since she is so particular I couldn't go hunting at a thrift store where I'd certainly find never worn ones for 5 bucks. So she came with us and with a sale a coupon and a 20 percent off employee discount we got a pair for 40.

Dh spent some money printing off recent pictures of the family to put in our frames as my mother's day gift.

I bought a dress for the wedding at a thrift store for 10 bucks but get to return it because my sil is lending me one of hers!

I think that's it

Powers Farm in Townsend, $4.75/lb hanging weight for a half (includes butcher fees and delivery)

Rumbleway farm is in conowingo. It's 4.25/ lb and includes butcher fees. You pick it up from the farm yourself though. Splitting that cow was such a great decision .

I pushed the button on the Amazon order!  Yikes!  About $200.  Could be worse.  ;)  Summer workbooks, fun books, kids' shoes, computer CD drive, bathroom mats, and I don't remember what else.  :P  Bought a birthday cake yesterday, which was breakfast today.  :P

• Like 2