Menu

Have you all followed the Naugler family?

DawnM

I pretty sure he has never watched that show (we do not have a TV and it is not an interest of his friends), but now I am going to have to see if I can find that episode and watch it.

He has also mentioned getting a massive metal factury building, converting part into a house, part into an indoor multi-sport field and the remainder into a chick hatchery. :)

Lol, it may have been a different reality show about preppers, but I know I saw one where the guy lived in a converted missile silo. From what I remember, it was very cool.

The Nauglers go to court this a.m. to face the allegations of neglect. Mom keeps stating on her FB page that CPS told them on Friday that they only had to fence their trash area & the kids would be returned today. We shall see if the judge buys into that. I can't see how they could possible return them without separate beds for the children and 4 walls on their "house."

• Like 2

I can't imagine trying to keep children who aren't potty trained clean without hot, running water.  And a baby in diapers! Ugh!

In cultures where people live without running water, most babies don't wear diapers. They're EC'ed. They pee on command. I've seen it and it's... interesting. And definitely easier to keep clean. The baby, at least, if not the outside ground...

• Like 3

In cultures where people live without running water, most babies don't wear diapers. They're EC'ed. They pee on command. I've seen it and it's... interesting. And definitely easier to keep clean. The baby, at least, if not the outside ground...

I have a friend who taught her infant to do that. It seems to work well, but you have to be careful not to accidentally make a shushing sound around the baby, lol.

In pictures, the youngest Naugler kids are in disposable diapers. (Very, very full diapers, in some of the pictures and videos.) I can't imagine trying to get a diapered baby clean after a blowout without running water. Poor kids must get some horrible diaper rash.

• Like 6

In pictures, the youngest Naugler kids are in disposable diapers. (Very, very full diapers, in some of the pictures and videos.) 

This is a pet peeve of mine. I can't stand it when people don't change their child's diaper promptly.  :mad:

• Like 13

1) People want to live in a  yurt because the name is cool!

2) I'm sorry, but the picture looks to me like an enormous chocolate Costco muffin and it's making me really hungry right now!

That was my first thought.

It's like living in a giant chocolate cupcake.

• Like 2

I have a friend who taught her infant to do that. It seems to work well, but you have to be careful not to accidentally make a shushing sound around the baby, lol.

In pictures, the youngest Naugler kids are in disposable diapers. (Very, very full diapers, in some of the pictures and videos.) I can't imagine trying to get a diapered baby clean after a blowout without running water. Poor kids must get some horrible diaper rash.

I ECed my first three. It wasn't hard, or messy or anything. Aries was most successful. Out of diapers at 3 months.

I'm not sure how not having running water would effect cleaning a  baby. Wouldn't one have a supply of warm, clean water and cloths handy? I use a squeezy bottle and a baby tub to clean Luna. She doesn't shower. 

Washing cloth diapers would be more difficult, though not impossible. But if they are using paper diapers, that is moot.

• Like 1

I need to stop reading comments on the facebook page. It's driving me nuts. People are dismissive of broken glass and nails and piles of trash found on the property where a small child is walking around bare foot! If anyone says anything remotely critical, they're jumped all over for being judgmental. Some people try to give good advice about making things safer and better with the tens of thousands of dollars of donations they've supposed gotten, but people actually dismiss that and say the money is just for legal fees and that the property is fine. You know, because other people in the world live in similar/worse conditions. Which is really rather insulting I think. People living in abject poverty in the world would almost certain jump at the chance to improve their circumstances. They aren't living their ideal life. They just lack choices.

These kids are probably distraught at being away from their parents but I do wonder what they think of sleeping in beds and wearing clean clothes and having meals cooked in a real kitchen.

• Like 16

I ECed my first three. It wasn't hard, or messy or anything. Aries was most successful. Out of diapers at 3 months.

I'm not sure how not having running water would effect cleaning a  baby. Wouldn't one have a supply of warm, clean water and cloths handy? I use a squeezy bottle and a baby tub to clean Luna. She doesn't shower. 

Washing cloth diapers would be more difficult, though not impossible. But if they are using paper diapers, that is moot.

Well, they don't have warm water from what I've read, only cold. And I can't imagine trying to clean a baby covered in volcanic baby poop from waist to toes with a bottle of cold water and some cloths, especially if it's winter and they're freezing because they live in a lean-to with three walls. Then if the baby has an upset tummy and it happens a lot for a day or two, you've got a mountain of poop-covered cloths and no washer or dryer to clean them in. What does she do, pour some bottled water into a bucket and try to clean them that way? No. Just no. 

• Like 7

I have always liked the idea of a yurt.

I have not practical experience though.

I live in yurt central. I live in an area with a strong tradition of 'intention communities' and etc etc. So, lots of people move here and set up shop on land with their yurt. Then they live in said yurt without electricity and usually have wood heat until their wood frame house is built and well is dug.

Let me tell you, living in a yurt without electricity and washing cloth diapers in the nearby stream..or better yet having to break the ice on the stream to get water for washing the diapers has led to lots of divorces, lol. 

I feel like that has tapered off in the past 5 years or so and now all the new families that move here are transplanted Brooklyn hipsters wanting to live the pintrest lifestyle. So, fewer yurts but more drinks in mason jars with ribbons. There is a lot of crossover between the two groups when it comes to chickens.

• Like 19

The Nauglers go to court this a.m. to face the allegations of neglect. Mom keeps stating on her FB page that CPS told them on Friday that they only had to fence their trash area & the kids would be returned today. We shall see if the judge buys into that. I can't see how they could possible return them without separate beds for the children and 4 walls on their "house."

Separate from the parents, like, three beds, boys, girls, and mom and dad plus nursing infants? I really do agree that that's a basic human need.

I can't imagine trying to keep children who aren't potty trained clean without hot, running water.  And a baby in diapers! Ugh!

I did it. We had a little pot. I call it gradual potty training because it doesn't work like magic--there are always accidents, just like self-feeding creates quite a mess early on.  But one was completely toilet-independent at 18 months (after a major move), and one was at 12 months. Meaning, I didn't have to remind them except before swim lessons or long car trips. I'd definitely do it again.

I need to stop reading comments on the facebook page. It's driving me nuts. People are dismissive of broken glass and nails and piles of trash found on the property where a small child is walking around bare foot! If anyone says anything remotely critical, they're jumped all over for being judgmental.

Honestly, the property looked bad but the lack of shelter and water is far worse. It's that they obviously do not have survival skills or common sense that really bothers me. Lots of kids in rural areas near farms run around with hazards like those kids do. I don't mean overseas. I mean here in the US and Canada.

• Like 3

Honestly, the property looked bad but the lack of shelter and water is far worse. It's that they obviously do not have survival skills or common sense that really bothers me. Lots of kids in rural areas near farms run around with hazards like those kids do. I don't mean overseas. I mean here in the US and Canada.

Yes, but most people who live on farms know well enough to clean up the animal poop in areas where the kids run around barefoot. The Nauglers, on the other hand, seem unable to find their asses with both hands and a flashlight, and they have six dogs. The poop from six dogs plus kids running around everywhere plus broken glass and nails... 

The more we talk about these people and look at their blog pictures, the more I am glad you can't smell a picture.  :ack2:

Also, I now find myself wondering what they're doing with all those poopy disposable diapers. 

• Like 17

Well, they don't have warm water from what I've read, only cold. And I can't imagine trying to clean a baby covered in volcanic baby poop from waist to toes with a bottle of cold water and some cloths, especially if it's winter and they're freezing because they live in a lean-to with three walls. Then if the baby has an upset tummy and it happens a lot for a day or two, you've got a mountain of poop-covered cloths and no washer or dryer to clean them in. What does she do, pour some bottled water into a bucket and try to clean them that way? No. Just no. 

Their shack is highly inadequate, no doubt. Not arguing that.

They have a stove of some kind, yes? So hot.water is possible. A manual washer must be available, too, or maybe they visit a laundromat. 

I'm not trying to be obtuse. I just don't see why a lack of hot running water would equal filth and rash. It's more work, for sure, but not impossible or even difficult.

• Like 1

Diarrhea does happen but that's not how it usually works. When you toilet the baby regularly, you almost never have those. We just almost never had that blow out situation.

And I have seen sick children, so let me explain the logistics (not that I'm counting on the Nauglers to figure this out):

1. Obtain largest bucket of water imaginable and heat.

2. Take small plastic water bottle, the cap of which has been punched through about 7-10 times with fine holes.

3. Remove the cap. Fill bottle halfway with clean cold water. Fill the remainder with hot water using a funnel. Interestingly a paper funnel will do for short periods of time. Newspaper works. You do lose some water but not much if you try to pour it straight.

4. Replace cap. Now you have a sprinkler of sorts.

5. One adult holds baby over clean, dry bucket (because what you really need more than anything is other people to help you through).

6. Other adult sprinkles baby with water, slowly washing all the feces into the pot. After one run through, use a washcloth dipped in the hot boiled water, then in the cool water, and gently wash baby down. Wash the washcloth vigorously in a bucket of cold water. Sprinkle again. Repeat wipe down.

7. If any water is left over, use it to wash baby's laundry. Cold first. Wash. Dump. Re-fill from stream or container. Wash. Dump. Then warm water with tons of soap. Rinse again with cold. Then finally a big super hot rinse.

Dump waste in outhouse or in the garden if the norm is field defecation.

See, it's not this thing or that thing. It's not the diapers or the clothes or the puddles. It is really not. it is the fact that they just don't know. She's using disposables in that situation, which to me is INSANE. But she has nobody to help her with gradual, natural toilet training. My MIL helped me, and SIL, and even ex-H. I had access to that human knowledge. That's how I learned to wash clothes by hand, wash a baby without running water, etc.

I do know some homesteaders who are adapted quite well. But they are extremely, extremely smart people, highly educated (though a little wacky), and also, grew up camping and building things.

ETA: You can use a water bottle with water in it and a tiny hole poked through the lid for MANY THINGS. A baster. To water plants efficiently in drought (fill with water, stick bottle in ground with tiny hole in lid, voila, instant drip irrigation). As a water gun. In lieu of a syringe, provided the bottle has been boiled, to squirt things onto body parts or into a cat's mouth.

• Like 12

They have a stove of some kind, yes? So hot.water is possible. A manual washer must be available, too, or maybe they visit a laundromat. 

I'm not trying to be obtuse. I just don't see why a lack of hot running water would equal filth and rash. It's more work, for sure, but not impossible or even difficult.

If they were stealing water from a neighbor, then they had no legal access to water of any temperature of their own, I would assume.  You make a good point about being able to make hot water with a stove or a firepit.  On my brothers' homesteads they had very cold spring water but we heated it for cleaning and cooking.  

• Like 3

I didn't see a stove or a washer in their hovel. Perhaps I missed it?

In theory I'm sure it's possible, but when I imagine trying to actually do it... *shudder*  And I can't imagine how you could do it in the winter when it's barely above freezing without the poor baby getting hypothermia. 

• Like 1

It's that they obviously do not have survival skills or common sense that really bothers me. 

They definitely seem clueless about how to implement their goals of self-sufficiency on a practical level. It seems like they have grand visions of living off the land off-grid but lack the basic skills—and money—to do it right.

• Like 6

I need to stop reading comments on the facebook page. It's driving me nuts. People are dismissive of broken glass and nails and piles of trash found on the property where a small child is walking around bare foot! If anyone says anything remotely critical, they're jumped all over for being judgmental. Some people try to give good advice about making things safer and better with the tens of thousands of dollars of donations they've supposed gotten, but people actually dismiss that and say the money is just for legal fees and that the property is fine. You know, because other people in the world live in similar/worse conditions. Which is really rather insulting I think. People living in abject poverty in the world would almost certain jump at the chance to improve their circumstances. They aren't living their ideal life. They just lack choices.

These kids are probably distraught at being away from their parents but I do wonder what they think of sleeping in beds and wearing clean clothes and having meals cooked in a real kitchen.

This is an excerpt from the Go Fund Me page. If the funds are not used for these purposes, would that constitute fraud?

We ask for your support for the Naugler family at this time. Any support is greatly accepted. At the start of this campaign, the Nauglers didn’t know what it would take to get their children back and they are now in the process of determining with an attorney what needs to be done to ensure the safe return of their children and providing better for their basic necessities. Included in the costs are expected to be multiple things:

$25,000 - Physical materials and upgrades including labor costs to the home including a fence, finishing a new primary living structure, and permanent solutions for clean water and electricity.

$3,000 - Purchase of laptops or phones and other technology aids and a reading library of age-appropriate books for their children.

$15,000 - Purchase of a newer, more reliable 15-passenger van for family transportation.

$2,000 - Possible unforeseen expenses related to the children being kept in the home such as the cost of travel to fight this and time off work from Nicole’s pet grooming business.

If excess funds are available beyond these needs, funds will be used for outreach to help other poor families in similar circumstances to keep their children.

• Like 2

I didn't see a stove or a washer in their hovel. Perhaps I missed it?

In theory I'm sure it's possible, but when I imagine trying to actually do it... *shudder*  And I can't imagine how you could do it in the winter when it's barely above freezing without the poor baby getting hypothermia. 

Binip described very well how we do it when we are (occasionally) without hot running water. Except I just heat the water to warm without mixing with cold. It's faster. Of course, being in a warm place, I have the option of using the sun to warm.

A manual washer is a bucket with some mechanism for agitation-a plunger, or a spinner or something. They have plenty of buckets (as do we). It wouldn't necessarily be obvious. Whatever their plan, they must have some means of washing clothes.

If they are burning wood for fuel-as I believe I read that they are-they are likely cooking in a rudimentary fire pit. Just a ring of stones or bricks, placed well away from the shelter for safety.

I'm not defending these fools. They have internet access. The mom even used Pinterest links in some of her blog posts. There is a plethora of information available. There's really no need of living so poorly, even if they have very little money-which they now do have enough to make improvements that are needed if they choose.

• Like 4

If they were stealing water from a neighbor, then they had no legal access to water of any temperature of their own, I would assume.  You make a good point about being able to make hot water with a stove or a firepit.  On my brothers' homesteads they had very cold spring water but we heated it for cleaning and cooking.  

If they are hauling water in -a completely viable option-or collecting rainwater, they may have had a temporary lack. This is why it's advisable to have a strong, supportive community and good relationships with neighbors when homesteading. There will be times of need. 

It doesn't seem this family is on excellent terms with neighbors.

• Like 2

Like some other posters, I never even heard of these people before reading this thread.  I don't live near KY, though.  Nor do I read blogs regularly.

I would not give this family one farthing.  If HSLDA starts prating about their virtues, that only will reinforce my existing low view of that organization.

ETA:  Living off-grid does not arouse any negative feelings in me.  Slovenly living does, unless there is a very good explanation. 

• Like 7

And I have seen sick children, so let me explain the logistics (not that I'm counting on the Nauglers to figure this out):

1. Obtain largest bucket of water imaginable and heat.

2. Take small plastic water bottle, the cap of which has been punched through about 7-10 times with fine holes.

3. Remove the cap. Fill bottle halfway with clean cold water. Fill the remainder with hot water using a funnel. Interestingly a paper funnel will do for short periods of time. Newspaper works. You do lose some water but not much if you try to pour it straight.

4. Replace cap. Now you have a sprinkler of sorts.

5. One adult holds baby over clean, dry bucket (because what you really need more than anything is other people to help you through).

6. Other adult sprinkles baby with water, slowly washing all the feces into the pot. After one run through, use a washcloth dipped in the hot boiled water, then in the cool water, and gently wash baby down. Wash the washcloth vigorously in a bucket of cold water. Sprinkle again. Repeat wipe down.

7. If any water is left over, use it to wash baby's laundry. Cold first. Wash. Dump. Re-fill from stream or container. Wash. Dump. Then warm water with tons of soap. Rinse again with cold. Then finally a big super hot rinse.

Dump waste in outhouse or in the garden if the norm is field defecation.

Hmmmm. Somehow I doubt they're willing or able to do all of this. I mean, they can't even gather up broken glass. 

• Like 5

I agree with the point that real off-grid living requires a certain amount of handiness or skill in order to provide shelter for the family.

Tying some sticks together does not a wall make anymore than passing bad checks makes someone a stay-at-home-dad. Illegal activities is not a substitute for  a job. They don't have the resources or capabilities in order to live this lifestyle.

The are delusional and I do think CPS should intervene.

How are they accessing the internet to be constantly updating their social media when they don't have electricity or water? Their priorities are messed up.

• Like 15

This is an excerpt from the Go Fund Me page. If the funds are not used for these purposes, would that constitute fraud?

We ask for your support for the Naugler family at this time. Any support is greatly accepted. At the start of this campaign, the Nauglers didn’t know what it would take to get their children back and they are now in the process of determining with an attorney what needs to be done to ensure the safe return of their children and providing better for their basic necessities. Included in the costs are expected to be multiple things:

$25,000 - Physical materials and upgrades including labor costs to the home including a fence, finishing a new primary living structure, and permanent solutions for clean water and electricity.

$3,000 - Purchase of laptops or phones and other technology aids and a reading library of age-appropriate books for their children.

$15,000 - Purchase of a newer, more reliable 15-passenger van for family transportation.

$2,000 - Possible unforeseen expenses related to the children being kept in the home such as the cost of travel to fight this and time off work from Nicole’s pet grooming business.

If excess funds are available beyond these needs, funds will be used for outreach to help other poor families in similar circumstances to keep their children.

Thanks for this info. I am encouraged that they plan to spend a lot of money improving their property. It seems like this will give them the highest chance of getting their children back.

• Like 1

. People living in abject poverty in the world would almost certain jump at the chance to improve their circumstances. They aren't living their ideal life. They just lack choices.

and bathing in a real tub with warm water . . . . or a shower with hot water for the older kids.

eta: I remember one girl I picked up from a week at camp (with outhouses) who ran inside to flush the toilet before she even unloaded her stuff from my car.  not that she needed to use the facilities - she just missed having a flush toilet.

• Like 2

Thanks for this info. I am encouraged that they plan to spend a lot of money improving their property. It seems like this will give them the highest chance of getting their children back.

This assumes, of course, that they are being truthful about how they will spend the money.

Frankly, I have my doubts.

And what will they do when this round of free money runs out? I guess that will mean it will be time for a new online begging campaign, because it doesn't appear that either parent has the slightest inclination to do something as radical as getting a job to support their family.

• Like 13

To me, I think it's pathetic that two able-bodied people are begging for money on the internet. Housing, transportation and food are not extraordinary expenses, such as occurs when one's child has cancer and medical bills are beyond one's ability to pay. And I am a liberal in every way, and I understand that many people need "a leg up" sometimes to get back on their feet, and I support food stamps and shelters and the like.

But to ask for $50,000 so they can get a house and a car? While they swipe water, bounce checks and run a failing business, all the while having more babies?

No. Just no.

• Like 44

This assumes, of course, that they are being truthful about how they will spend the money.

Frankly, I have my doubts.

And what will they do when this round of free money runs out? I guess that will mean it will be time for a new online begging campaign, because it doesn't appear that either parent has the slightest inclination to do something as radical as getting a job to support their family.

Provided the mother is telling the truth, she works as a dog groomer. She says she works full time.

But who knows. There have been allegations that they are liars and scammers and thieves. If those allegations are true, then the situation isn't likely to get much better. :(

• Like 2

My first thought was they need to go rent a place that already has four walls and plumbing, dad needs to work and they can save  up to fix this property up. eta- mom already works from what i understand.

When I saw the pictures, I gasped. out loud. I am all for independent living but this is not what I picture at all. Like others, my dad's chicken coop looks nicer and I am not exaggerating.

• Like 2

Provided the mother is telling the truth, she works as a dog groomer. She says she works full time.

But who knows. There have been allegations that they are liars and scammers and thieves. If those allegations are true, then the situation isn't likely to get much better. :(

If the mom is truly working full time and the family is still living in such deplorable conditions, I have to wonder what they are doing with the money she makes.

"Liar, liar, pants on fire" comes to mind.

• Like 5

One more thing: one of my very good friends is a homeschooler with 4 kids. She is also an unschooler. Her husband makes a pittance as an adjunct professor. They struggle to pay their bills, and use food stamps. He works his a** off, and constantly hustles for work. She has gone back to night school to get her college degree so she can get a better job. They would never in a million years beg on the internet for basic necessities and they are doing everything in their power to become financially stable. They recognize they will never be well-off, and will likely never have much savings. But they understand full well the choices they made, and they accept the outcomes. 

• Like 6

If the mom is truly working full time and the family is still living in such deplorable conditions, I have to wonder what they are doing with the money she makes.

Someone asked her why she was building such a nice building with air conditioning and so on for her grooming business while her family lives like that, and she said that the grooming business is for her customers who have higher expectations (not her words). She said the business will then pay for the new house. Why isn't she renting a space for her grooming business, I don't know. There's some really weird priorities and decision making at work here. And when you have 10 kids, you don't have that luxury.

• Like 15

Someone asked her why she was building such a nice building with air conditioning and so on for her grooming business while her family lives like that, and she said that the grooming business is for her customers who have higher expectations (not her words). She said the business will then pay for the new house. Why isn't she renting a space for her grooming business, I don't know. There's some really weird priorities and decision making at work here. And when you have 10 kids, you don't have that luxury.

That is so completely jacked up. I have no words. 

• Like 5

Hmmmm. Somehow I doubt they're willing or able to do all of this. I mean, they can't even gather up broken glass. 

Oh, I completely agree. But, I do think it's possible to homestead and live simply and do it well.

Do I think this family is able to do so? No. They seem extremely incompetent and foolhardy. The fact that they are keen on living off the grid but are blogging their whole experience about being "off the grid" while being in legal proceedings blows my mind, actually. This combined with the lack of thatching and use of disposable diapers in that situation makes me think these people would have trouble no matter what they tried to do.

I would not give these people a single penny to build their own home. Are you kidding me? I might consider giving to a similar family I knew if they came forward and admitted they suck at building and would like to buy a yurt or pre-fab.

$15,000 for a van? Are you kidding me? How about a used Corolla and a Subaru Leone, for more flexibility (a car stays home with the SAHD) and carrying the whole family? Wouldn't set you back more than $10k. Then you have TWO cars in case one breaks, both the most reliable. But that requires ingenuity. We had two cars for our family of six for two years. We survived. Plus you can upgrade in batches. Seriously, for poor people, this is a smart solution. I know a van sounds nice but it wasn't realistic for us.

permanent solutions for clean water and electricity.

This is just comical. Also, if the deal with CPS says "permanent" they're screwed 'cause you know what a generator needs? Fuel. Let's assume they start a rainwater catchment system and solar power. That will require about a bazillion times more skill than they have right now.

And none of this $ is going to waste clean-up. In Kentucky can you just gather your garbage and dump it somewhere?

Does anyone else find it hilarious that she makes a living on what some of us would consider to be one of the most frivolous, urban-related, froufrou profession this side of the millennium? Anyone? I mean, I am all for great vet care but pet grooming? As a fun hobby or job for someone into that side of life, I get it. But you want to live off the grid. Because civilization is evil. And yet your job is one of the most superfluous society has ever produced. You can't make this stuff up.

• Like 16

If this is something they do not have with this many children perhaps someone who is familiar with this family could help organize a book drive.  I am sure I could part with a few children's books to send to them.  Even if I disagree with parenting, etc. I have no problem mailing some books to these children.  With their limited space they may only want a few quality books, however.  Or an e-reader preloaded with lots of classic lit.

• Like 2

She's self-employed. I think her talk about the grooming business is more her hope than the reality. I have a feeling she has a few clients and makes a little side money on it, but not enough to live on by far. The more I read, the more it seems like she's just clueless and in way over her head.

The father with his bad checks and con man rep is maybe another story...

• Like 4

The whole thing reminds me of the back to the land movement when I was a kid.

People were so idealistic and so freakin clueless.  That is a deadly combo, let me tell you.

Especially for the children.

My parents fell a bit prey to this when I was a kid. Thus I grew up in a cabin in the middle of nowhere. But it really was fine - idyllic at times. We had a wood stove for heat, we just sank ourselves in the water to deal with the summer sun. We grew and caught enough in the summer to eat off of. My mother made enough on the side to get us through and my father kept a steady job. I mean, my parents were sort of in over their heads at times - their efforts to remodel our barn into a home did not pay off, for example and led to a lot of problems. But it didn't mean they ever put us in any situation even remotely akin to this. And I think it's the same today with all the homesteading types. A few are successful. Most struggle through and it doesn't work out like their ideals, but they compromise some elements for practicalities or give up and move back to towns. But just a few, like the Nauglers, have such serious problems that they actually endanger their kids.

• Like 6

If this is something they do not have with this many children perhaps someone who is familiar with this family could help organize a book drive. I am sure I could part with a few children's books to send to them. Even if I disagree with parenting, etc. I have no problem mailing some books to these children. With their limited space they may only want a few quality books, however. Or an e-reader preloaded with lots of classic lit.

Or they could borrow books from the library for free...

Realistically, they don't even have a place for their family to stay warm and dry. I have no idea where they would store a bunch of books.

I think they are asking for money to pay for things that they believe will elicit sympathy, rather than for the things they will actually purchase with the cash.

Honestly, when you don't even have adequate shelter for your children, you don't even think about buying books and computers. These people are living in a bizarre fantasy world.

• Like 26

If this is something they do not have with this many children perhaps someone who is familiar with this family could help organize a book drive.  I am sure I could part with a few children's books to send to them.  Even if I disagree with parenting, etc. I have no problem mailing some books to these children.  With their limited space they may only want a few quality books, however.  Or an e-reader preloaded with lots of classic lit.

An e-reader would need electricity and shelter from the weather; it's not a good solution for ten kids in an off-grid encampment.

Regular books, too, would suffer greatly in the conditions.

There is a public library in their county with two branches; they have book clubs and yoga classes and preschool story times and bluegrass music concerts.  While transportation may be an issue, if that can be solved the library may be a much better resource - it provides ongoing access to more books than en e-reader would hold, and with a library card, all ten kids can be reading (or looking at books, if they are unable to read) at the same time.

The county schools offer preschool through high school programs, as well as transportation to them.  

• Like 6