Menu

Have you all followed the Naugler family?

DawnM

Except the children need birth certificates and ssn to qualify, and at least some of them don't. The ones with the needed info would be covered though.

They don't need SSNs for food stamps. Birth certificates, yes.

• Like 1

Okay, I looked at some photos online of the "cabin" they are "building". I've seen forts made by ten year olds that are sturdier than that. They have internet access for their blog, one would think they'd at least look up some youtube videos or something. My dad once built a playhouse in the yard for me when I was a kid and the quality of that was exponentially better than what this loon is doing.

They are certifiably nuts. That's all there is to it. The thing was a few 2x4's, and some pallets, no foundation and frankly, a 40 mph wind gust which is pretty common in that part of Kentucky will knock it down on their heads possibly killing one or more of them.

They blog posted about the children eating a diseased turtle which they caught at a sewage treatment pond!!! It made me physically ill to read about it.

Eating turtle is one thing, eating turtle that the parents claimed they knew was diseased and KNEW WHERE IT CAME FROM is quite another, and I sincerely hope these children are never returned to their care, ever!

Wanna bet that when the foster moms - the kids are housed in four different homes which is what I expected because the average foster home can't take ten kids - end up shocked by the amount of parasites these kids have once they get their check ups. I hope they very hurriedly get tetanus vaccines for these children just in case the court should lose its ever lovin' mind and return them to this disaster.

• Like 11

Typical HSDLA. Jump in assuming that ANY family that claims to be "homeschooling" is being persecuted.

I don't know what happened to Alex. All I can say that is in my state parents don't have parental rights of four year olds terminated willy nilly since the emphasis is always on reunification. Always. I think there is more likelihood that bad things happened to him at his bios hands than not which would appear to indicate that Joe was not a decent person. My state doesn't even opt for decent. Barely up to crappy will suffice and the kids are back.

• Like 9

One thing that stuck out for me is that the shed that was returned/repossessed because they couldn't pay for it was $6500 to be paid off over 2 years. Even at a crazy high rate of interest of say, 20%, that's still only payments of a few hundred a month. That would be affordable even at minimum wage. It's clear that this family has not been able to bring in even a modest amount of income in a sustained way or if they have, be responsible enough to pay their bills as agreed.

As for the whole "he's a SAHD" thing I have nothing against men who are caregivers but it's clear there's not much actual caregiving going on and she's the one cooking and doing whatever little cleaning is done. When you have kids to support, everyone has to do their share. It's more likely that he is a SAHD because he is unemployable. Because if he could work, I think most people would work before letting their kids live in a lean to. A lot of SAHPs bring in income as well to help out monetarily. I only have 2 kids but I can't imagine being the sole provider in a low income or working class family while pregnant or postpartum and nursing unless there was no way for my spouse to contribute financially. 10 kids, another one on the way. Working on top of that when he's not working is just too freaking much. I don't have a lot of sympathy for people who let kids live like this but I do feel like she is in a really untenable situation. It may be of her own making but that doesn't make it any more tenable.

• Like 17

One thing that stuck out for me is that the shed that was returned/repossessed because they couldn't pay for it was $6500 to be paid off over 2 years. Even at a crazy high rate of interest of say, 20%, that's still only payments of a few hundred a month. That would be affordable even at minimum wage. It's clear that this family has not been able to bring in even a modest amount of income in a sustained way or if they have, be responsible enough to pay their bills as agreed.

As for the whole "he's a SAHD" thing I have nothing against men who are caregivers but it's clear there's not much actual caregiving going on and she's the one cooking and doing whatever little cleaning is done. When you have kids to support, everyone has to do their share. It's more likely that he is a SAHD because he is unemployable. Because if he could work, I think most people would work before letting their kids live in a lean to. A lot of SAHPs bring in income as well to help out monetarily. I only have 2 kids but I can't imagine being the sole provider in a low income or working class family while pregnant or postpartum and nursing unless there was no way for my spouse to contribute financially. 10 kids, another one on the way. Working on top of that when he's not working is just too freaking much. I don't have a lot of sympathy for people who let kids live like this but I do feel like she is in a really untenable situation. It may be of her own making but that doesn't make it any more tenable.

Well, according to her previous employer, Nicole made the kids (including little ones) do the actual work and paid them $1 per dog. Nicole posted that the kids do most of the cooking, and I'd be willing to bet that the oldest daughter does most of the childcare. So IMO neither of the parents are actually "working." 

• Like 6

1. And another post by someone who actually knew the mother: 

It's very interesting (and telling) that people who have known then IRL are painting a VERY different picture than the people who only "know" them on-line.

• Like 5

Well, according to her previous employer, Nicole made the kids (including little ones) do the actual work and paid them $1 per dog. Nicole posted that the kids do most of the cooking, and I'd be willing to bet that the oldest daughter does most of the childcare. So IMO neither of the parents are actually "working." 

I'd totally believe that but at the same time, anyone can write anything online so we really don't know if that was the employer or not.  It could be some random person running with assumptions and making shit up.  Like I said, little sympathy but seriously, who the heck wouldn't be totally fried in that situation? 

• Like 4

I don't know what happened to Alex. All I can say that is in my state parents don't have parental rights of four year olds terminated willy nilly since the emphasis is always on reunification. Always. I think there is more likelihood that bad things happened to him at his bios hands than not which would appear to indicate that Joe was not a decent person. My state doesn't even opt for decent. Barely up to crappy will suffice and the kids are back.

Same here.  We have a case where the child is in care for the THIRD time.  This time there was criminal level child abuse with a conviction and jail time served (and some suspended) and the goal is STILL reunification.

• Like 3

Ottakee, it is disgusting, isn't it! Michigan's standards are so low "slightly better than Hannibal Lecter" is considered good enough.

My brother's kids should have been taken away from him and his wife many many times.  (Lived in Michigan).  Never were.  CPS was called a gazillion times.  They wouldn't let relatives raise them either.   The kids are grown now and want nothing to do with their parents.  I do not blame them one bit.

Same here.  We have a case where the child is in care for the THIRD time.  This time there was criminal level child abuse with a conviction and jail time served (and some suspended) and the goal is STILL reunification.

Oh yes. Because children have the right to healthy relationships with their parents, even if their parents don't have the ability to conduct healthy relationships.

:ack2: <-- that being an understatement

• Like 10

A hovel is a really crappy shanty that's falling down.

However, I consider both a hovel and a shanty to have four walls, so in my mind, their three-walled stick-thing falls below the standard for even a hovel. If they hang a tarp, I may consider upgrading it.

They have a tarp.  They call it the 'roof.'

• Like 6

This is an excerpt from the Go Fund Me page. If the funds are not used for these purposes, would that constitute fraud?

We ask for your support for the Naugler family at this time. Any support is greatly accepted. At the start of this campaign, the Nauglers didn’t know what it would take to get their children back and they are now in the process of determining with an attorney what needs to be done to ensure the safe return of their children and providing better for their basic necessities. Included in the costs are expected to be multiple things:

$25,000 - Physical materials and upgrades including labor costs to the home including a fence, finishing a new primary living structure, and permanent solutions for clean water and electricity.

$3,000 - Purchase of laptops or phones and other technology aids and a reading library of age-appropriate books for their children.

$15,000 - Purchase of a newer, more reliable 15-passenger van for family transportation.

$2,000 - Possible unforeseen expenses related to the children being kept in the home such as the cost of travel to fight this and time off work from Nicole’s pet grooming business.

If excess funds are available beyond these needs, funds will be used for outreach to help other poor families in similar circumstances to keep their children.

Uh...I know quite a few people who wish the world would fund $3,000 so they could homeschool...or $15,000 so they could have more reliable transport...or $25,000 for house upgrades. Unfortunately, those people are forced to get full-time jobs instead, and sometimes even stay on a grid they don't like.

This story is so bizarre. I admire the concept of self-sufficiency, but I think it requires more thought and effort than the Nauglers have shown.

• Like 9

Uh...I know quite a few people who wish the world would fund $3,000 so they could homeschool...or $15,000 so they could have more reliable transport...or $25,000 for house upgrades. Unfortunately, those people are forced to get full-time jobs instead, and sometimes even stay on a grid they don't like.

This story is so bizarre. I admire the concept of self-sufficiency, but I think it requires more thought and effort than the Nauglers have shown.

Not to mention the irony of saying that they are self sufficient and then asking for others to fund it.  

• Like 29

This article has an interesting "video tour" of their food preparation area.  ("A look around the Naugler's makeshift kitchen." - it's in the middle of the article.)

Thanks.  I didn't need to keep my lunch down anyway. 

• Like 3

I am rather befuddled to imagine how one, in the United States, has 10 children but in all that time acquires no or very few books.

Part of unschooling unparenting is ample eliminating access to reading materials that interest you might make children aware.

There.  I fixed that for you.  ;)

• Like 16

I will personally pay for a vasectomy for the dad involved. That is all.

I have an authentic homesteader DIY kit for that. ;)

And, I will do it for free. 

• Like 18

Part of unschooling unparenting is ample eliminating access to reading materials that interest you might make children aware.

There.  I fixed that for you.  ;)

Oh, that is better.  I am fortunate that I wasn't drinking anything when I read that.  

• Like 10

This is an excerpt from the Go Fund Me page. If the funds are not used for these purposes, would that constitute fraud?

We ask for your support for the Naugler family at this time. Any support is greatly accepted. At the start of this campaign, the Nauglers didn’t know what it would take to get their children back and they are now in the process of determining with an attorney what needs to be done to ensure the safe return of their children and providing better for their basic necessities. Included in the costs are expected to be multiple things:

$25,000 - Physical materials and upgrades including labor costs to the home including a fence, finishing a new primary living structure, and permanent solutions for clean water and electricity.

$3,000 - Purchase of laptops or phones and other technology aids and a reading library of age-appropriate books for their children.

$15,000 - Purchase of a newer, more reliable 15-passenger van for family transportation.

$2,000 - Possible unforeseen expenses related to the children being kept in the home such as the cost of travel to fight this and time off work from Nicole’s pet grooming business.

If excess funds are available beyond these needs, funds will be used for outreach to help other poor families in similar circumstances to keep their children.

The amount they are asking for would pay off my mortgage in full. And I mean really $3000 to provide the kids reading materials? go to the freaking library and borrow all you want for $15 a year.  I would love to quit one of my jobs so I could devote more time to my kids, just let me get in line to pretend I am self sufficient while letting everyone else fund my lifestyle. 

• Like 8

The amount they are asking for would pay off my mortgage in full. And I mean really $3000 to provide the kids reading materials? go to the freaking library and borrow all you want for $15 a year. I would love to quit one of my jobs so I could devote more time to my kids, just let me get in line to pretend I am self sufficient while letting everyone else fund my lifestyle.

Yeah no kidding! We actually are in the process of going rural/somewhat off grid. Ffs, that amount would build my friggin house! (At least to lock up stage!) we're not planning on asking the bank for much more than that actually- but here's the kicker, we have to provide proof of a real income and pay it back! Crazy! Seems I'm doing it rong...

Eta, cos this case really makes me cross! We own our land outright, because the grown ups in this house work their tails off at real grown up jobs. Water was the FIRST thing we sorted on our land (sunk a bore), electricity a close second (solar).

We built a 'weekender' structure with 4 very secure walls, a real roof, an actual kitchen, wood stove for cooking/heating AND separate bedrooms for EACH child for a quarter of what they're scamming for...

I had the same thoughts as a pp, I think she's stuck with this guy (I would not be surprised to hear dv) who doesn't provide and so she holds so tight to this delusion.

I cannot believe the stuff they've put on the internet! They are as best incredibly foolish!

• Like 7

The amount they are asking for would pay off my mortgage in full. And I mean really $3000 to provide the kids reading materials? go to the freaking library and borrow all you want for $15 a year.  I would love to quit one of my jobs so I could devote more time to my kids, just let me get in line to pretend I am self sufficient while letting everyone else fund my lifestyle. 

Pretty sure the library would have to burn the books they return.

• Like 3

There are people who claim that their bishop/church (whatever ther terminology is) did help them and donated all sorts of things to them (beds, mattresses, etc), but that the family sold all of the donations. Granted, it's all just rumor and speculation, but it would appear they have burned some bridges.

So, they took in generous, sincere donations and then sold them off?  That is reprehensible.  :glare:

• Like 4

Yeah no kidding! We actually are in the process of going rural/somewhat off grid. Ffs, that amount would build my friggin house! (At least to lock up stage!) we're not planning on asking the bank for much more than that actually- but here's the kicker, we have to provide proof of a real income and pay it back! Crazy! Seems I'm doing it rong...

Silly you! Getting a job and proving income is for sissies. You should have started a gofundme page and gotten your money for free, no strings attached, from clueless strangers. 

Silly, silly girl. ;)

• Like 9

Silly you! Getting a job and proving income is for sissies. You should have started a gofundme page and gotten your money for free, no strings attached, from clueless strangers.

Silly, silly girl. ;)

Of course! I'll count on all of you real homeschoolers/Christians/freedom-supporters to help a sister out! I'll also need a $10000 chocolate budget thanks.

• Like 12

The more I think about it and the more I hear, the more I'm just baffled by these people. What are the parents getting out of this? I mean, they have to live in these conditions too. They sold the things the church gave them... but... why? I mean, if someone gives you a bed, you sell it and you don't have a bed. And for what? I get that there may be alcohol and pot use from things said by people who know them, but how expensive a habit have you got to have? Maybe there are other drugs too? It's just baffling. I guess that's why mental illness is the explanation that a lot of people are falling back on.

• Like 4

So, they took in generous, sincere donations and then sold them off?  That is reprehensible.  :glare:

one of the comments I read somewhere was a woman talking about them threatening her father because he would only give them groceries for the children - and not a check for cash.  that could have been a bishop - becasue that is how the church operates.  it gives food, or what goods are essential (e.g. clothes) not cash, and they wanted cash to do what they wanted with it.

these people are so messed up.  I honestly hope they never get those kids back or that will be 10 more people completely messed up.

• Like 3

The more I think about it and the more I hear, the more I'm just baffled by these people. What are the parents getting out of this? I mean, they have to live in these conditions too. They sold the things the church gave them... but... why? I mean, if someone gives you a bed, you sell it and you don't have a bed. And for what? I get that there may be alcohol and pot use from things said by people who know them, but how expensive a habit have you got to have? Maybe there are other drugs too? It's just baffling. I guess that's why mental illness is the explanation that a lot of people are falling back on.

in all likelihood, they are mentally ill.  think extreme hoarders, they live in that, and can't deal with real life.

• Like 2

Of course! I'll count on all of you real homeschoolers/Christians/freedom-supporters to help a sister out! I'll also need a $10000 chocolate budget thanks.

Count me in. Please just tell me where to paypal the money! ;)

• Like 1

I want so badly to be a homesteader.  I managed to get us out of the city and into a rural town.  But between needing to learn skills and needing to work fulltime, and all my current responsibilities that dream has been put on hold until I can properly afford it.  Instead I am biding my time here, learning how to garden and can and learn other self sufficient tasks.  I was lamenting recently about how my very old, tiny house was falling apart and in need of some big repairs, but I do not know enough about how to do the renos etc to be a DIYer.  I need to learn these things before I could be a homesteader, or I would be the one living in a lean to.  Good homesteaders have so many learned skills to build up those homesteads and live self sufficiently. Clearly they didn't have the skills to even start up.  Heck if they owned a book they might have read THe encyclopedia of country living which happens to be my favorite book when I start daydreaming about my future homestead.

• Like 5

I hate to admit it, but I was thinking that I wouldn't be surprised to find out that this "awesome SAHD" runs a meth lab somewhere on their 27 acres of heavenly bliss. I hope I'm wrong.

Well, but wouldn't they have more money?

• Like 1

I'm in complete agreement with the hive over this family.

I just wanted to address this.

I have never been involuntarily investigated, nor have we had problems due to homeschooling.

However, I opened a voluntary case after a psychologist accused me of abuse, but didn't report. It was a scare tactic and he'd done it to many families. I now have his bs report filed right next to the CPS paperwork as well as the complaints I made against him. After the first visit, the worker had no idea what she was supposed to investigate, but came around monthly for a meeting and paperwork since I requested a case be opened. Case closed at 6 months. Nothing had to change. No abuse or neglect ever existed.

Another time there was no case opened, but there was contact. One visit, no investigation needed, done.

And I'm looking at a possible third contact right now. I added a behavior therapist to my son's current therapy team, and some things raise red flags for this added therapist. Current team is confused as to the concerns because they've been here 6 months and there are no concerns or red flags! Current team is going to speak with behavior therapist and hopefully ease her concerns. However, if they can't sway her and she makes the call, whatever. CPS will visit once, case closed. On the other hand, it would make for yet another contact. I'm not sure if this behavior therapist will continue to be part of our team, but probably not.

So it is possible to have a lot of contact (but not necessarily investigations) and be a fairly normal family.

Because of our contact, any calls would trigger a visit even if that call wouldn't normally trigger a visit.

I had several files open over time with CPS because they have a program called family enhancement that parents can call and ask for help for their kids.  I did this twice over a couple years.  Fast forward to Dec 2009, we had cps called on us.  Came to investigate, determined no abuse or neglect but cw didn't like that I was a single parent homeschooling special needs kids (flat out told me if I put them in ps she would close the file and if I was married she never would have opened it).  Tried to use the fact I had past involvement with them against me, even though I am the one who called and asked them to help me help my son.  It was 11 months of pure hell, of weekly visits, BUT I did everything they asked (which was minimal like they didn't even ask for parenting classes which seems to be their standard because there was no need) she just harassed me every week to put them in ps, wean my youngest and no longer bedshare with her.  I refused to comply to those terms.  OUr ped stood up for me, the kids therapists, OT, SLP stood up for me, our homeschool board stood up for me etc.  It never went to court (though I asked her several times to take me there since I was not doing anything illegal), I never lost my kids, I still homeschool, daughter didn't wean until about 6 months after the file finally closed, and she bed shared until she asked for her own bed at 6.  

So yeah, you can have a lot of contacts and yet not be due to actual abuse/neglect situations.  

I have to get child welfare reports every 3 years for work. THis last time the CPS office filled it out with my past contacts, and then destroyed it and filled out a new one saying there is nothing on file.  THe difference was the first girl that filled it out just looked at the dates/list, her supervisor reviewed it and actually looked at what the contacts were and declared them null and void.  (I had filed a complaint against the cw way back which is what finally got it closed, once I filed that complaint my file was looked at more seriously and they realized she was out of line trying to force her personal bias rather than closing.  The supervisor told me had she been fully informed from the beginning it would have been closed immediately.(major info had been with-held and truths stretched, like saying I frequently moved between 2 cities which was used to say the home was unstable when in reality I lived in the same home for 8 years but frequently drove the 15 minutes into my hometown to visit family, take the kids to extracurrics etc)

All that to say, I agree frequent or past contact does not automatically mean problem.  I learned the hard way that it is not always a case of "where there is smoke there is fire"  BUT at the same time I did not have the kids removed and allegations of illegal activity/abuse etc. 

• Like 5

One thing I thought of when perusing many of the images of the "hovel" online as well as the "yard" was tetanus. They don't seem to care a whit about medical issues so I doubt the children are vaccinated. So deadly.

The other thing is that my uncle lives in Hardin KY and just like here in my area of Michigan, they have several cases of rabid skunk per year. Dogs love to chase and tangle with skunks. If those six dogs aren't vaccinated for rabies....gah....my brain just shouldn't go there!

I hope the children receive tetanus shots while in care. I hope the dogs are taken away because if you can't feed your children properly and provide them with adequate shelter and sanitation, then you don't need to be feeding six dogs! Common sense. Children first.

Delayed, selective vaxer here due to medical history...and I thought the same thing when I looked at that "yard". 

• Like 2