Menu

Switching from Saxon Math tutorial class to TT

So we can be home. Posted here before and the consensus was that finishing only half or so of the books was woefully incompletely.

However, I assigned up again cuz my ability to teach math is nonexistent and have spent 4 hours total including drive time 2 days a week just for math. So, 8 hours away for Math. Saxon prealgebra and saxon algebra1.

My Saxon Algebra 1 student seems to have gotten snowballed I noticed when I went thru his notebook. He consistently missed problems from previous lessons. The pattern may go on for MANY lessons. Like L76 he is missing a prob from L41 and has been missing review probs from L41 since L 41. Clear as mud? He is not confident, not meticulous as required by teacher etc.

So, TT placemnt test. He missed 2 probs from getting into TT Alg 2. I suppose this is cuz he is only on L90 in Saxon Algebra 1? Should I make him take say the quizzes from TTAlgebra 1 and start where he gets lost? Start tt alg 2 in the fall?

I have not did a placement text for my saxon prealgebra student yet for TT.

I cannot teach math to these boys and my husband does not have the time. I looked into Art Reed videos and they look great BUT again I am still lost and of no help when they get stuck.

My 4th grade tested into 6th grade no prob.

I cannot sacrifice meal prep, grocery shopping, house cleaning, irritability for always being in a rush, school with 4th grader not getting done etc in order to attend tutorials.

Thoughts?

Thank you!!!!

mostly bumping this....   But I had a question all the same for those who know TT better.  Would it work to take the TT Geometry placement test and maybe do Geometry before Alg 2?  I know with my middle dd's Saxon experience, she did Saxon alg 1, then we used Jacob's geometry. and then plan to do Alg 2..  so maybe geometry could work in your situation?

OP, was anyone checking your child's work, or giving him the answer key and showing him how to and making sure he checked his own work, daily?  Because without that, a mistake can become ingrained.  Then the student has to unlearn the wrong way they were consistently doing something.  Frequently kids need to be taught how to check their own work, with and without an answer key.  Daily work needs to be checked daily so issues are addressed immediately.

I can't help much with where to place with regard to TT.  I like TT, but honestly my kids were getting great scores and not retaining much of anything.  Doing math outside TT, it was clear the material was not translating.  We dropped it.

You might do as you suggest and have him take the quizzes in TT Algebra 1 until he hits a snag.  Have him do math through the summer.  Maybe he would be ready for Algebra II in the Fall.  It is pointless to rush him through, though, if he has a lot of gaps.  Math builds on itself.  Without a solid foundation, the whole house of cards can collapse.  I would encourage you to also maybe look at incorporating other resources to reinforce what he is learning in TT and to make certain he is understanding and retaining the material.

I don't suppose there is a tutor closer to you that might be able to monitor?  Not to teach the math but to check in once a week and guide his learning?

• Like 1

:iagree: :iagree:  :iagree: says the mother of a child who struggles with math!

OP, was anyone checking your child's work, or giving him the answer key and showing him how to and making sure he checked his own work, daily?  Because without that, a mistake can become ingrained.  Then the student has to unlearn the wrong way they were consistently doing something.  Frequently kids need to be taught how to check their own work, with and without an answer key.  Daily work needs to be checked daily so issues are addressed immediately.

I can't help much with where to place with regard to TT.  I like TT, but honestly my kids were getting great scores and not retaining much of anything.  Doing math outside TT, it was clear the material was not translating.  We dropped it.

You might do as you suggest and have him take the quizzes in TT Algebra 1 until he hits a snag.  Have him do math through the summer.  Maybe he would be ready for Algebra II in the Fall.  It is pointless to rush him through, though, if he has a lot of gaps.  Math builds on itself.  Without a solid foundation, the whole house of cards can collapse.  I would encourage you to also maybe look at incorporating other resources to reinforce what he is learning in TT and to make certain he is understanding and retaining the material.

I don't suppose there is a tutor closer to you that might be able to monitor?  Not to teach the math but to check in once a week and guide his learning?