Menu

A Porta-Potty Poll

The Girls' Mom

Porta-Potty Poll  

243 members have voted

1. 1. If you are at an event with 100+ people at someone's home, do you feel that a porta-potty is...

• A smart option to ensure restroom availability.
    • Not a bad idea, but I would probably use the one house bathroom available.
    • How rude! Is your bathroom too good for me?!
    • What is a porta-potty?

Update on post #169 :)

This is a very serious question.  Dh and I have differing opinions.

This is for a 4th of July event.  There will be people here from 6PM until after 10PM.  Lots of food and drinks involved (non-alcoholic).  We expect at least 100 people, likely more.  

We have a half bath downstairs, a full bath that is in our bedroom, but we plan on locking that room.  There is another full bath upstairs, but again, we will likely close off the upstairs.  There will be people here that we do not know personally.

So, basically one bathroom unless it was an emergency.

Also, we are on a septic tank system, not a sewer.

There's no other option. *sigh*

For me it would depend on the event.

We had a "luxury restroom" for our wedding which was held in a backyard. It was lovely and came with an attendant who wiped the sink and toilet, changed toilet paper, etc.

For a family birthday party, nope.

• Like 3

I think it's a smart idea if there are not enough bathrooms to accomodate the guests.  I don't understand the thinking behind "Is your bathroom too good for me?"  (Maybe that is meant tongue-in-cheek?)    100 people is a lot for 2 or even 3 bathrooms.

ETA: I just saw your update.  Yeah, one bathroom for 100 people for 4 hours - that is just not enough.

• Like 8

I have seen a port a potty at many large home events. Usually there is a port a potty AND the home bathroom available. 

If the house has a well, then it is practically a necessity in the summer. If it is a dry summer then I have seen two port a potties on the land and no one is allowed to use the flush toilet inside

No well, but we do have a septic tank.

We have a septic tank, too.  If you are afraid that people might flush things other than toilet paper, it could be an issue.  If you dont' have a porta potty, I would post a large sign in the bathroom that says you have a septic tank and please flush ONLY tp.

• Like 2

there are nicer porta-potties than the ubiquitous "green"/"turquoise" ones.

We attended a large, outdoor wedding reception at a small, family home.  They provided "port-a-potties" but they were super luxe.  They had the appearance of a small trailer, with multiple "rooms, and each were a full restroom with sink and proper toilet.  

Not suggesting the OP go that fancy for a 4th of July event, but I think it would be acceptable...especially if you can get some of the full-stall porta-potties or handicap ones (which are bigger than usual).  

• Like 2

Would need to know how long event expected to last and how many toilets are in host's home and will all these toilets, including any that are insuite, be available to guests.

Generally I would say yes to portable toilet if long event and only couple toilets in host house.

Very large group of people at your place for an extended period of time and you have a septic system?  Yep.  I'd get a port a potty.  A nice one if I could afford it.  

Having been stuck at events where adequate bathroom accommodations were not available, I'd rather have the port a potty option than nothing at all.  With that many people, the line could get really, really long with just one bathroom.

• Like 1

Thank you all for making me feel a bit better about this.  

Although *I* personally don't think it is rude, I know that there are some that would.  I wondered how worried about it I should be.  Dh is totally for the porta-potty.  

Our annual 4th of July party will be going from mostly our friends, to catching all the people from the annual family reunion (large) that the older generation has given up on due to failing health.  We've always had an open invite to our party for family and friends, so absorbing some extras is ok with us.  However, word is getting around and I have a feeling that we will have a huge number of people here this year.  We are trying to be prepared.  I'm a little scared..lol.

• Like 3

How 'civilized' are your guests?

Around here, many males head into the back yard rather than into a bathroom.

Particularly after dark.

I should add, I don't classify such behaviour as particularly uncivilised.

But as one who would have to join a long queue, I'd prefer the option of porta-potty.

Edited for typos, typos, typos (and inablity to disentangle letters)

• Like 3

Particularly after dark.

But as one who would have to join a long queue, I'd prefer the option of porta-potty.

Edited for typos, typos, typos (and inablity to disentangle letters)

It will be a mixed bag, with quite a few elderly people.  A few men might go out back, but most won't for fear of being "caught" by all the teen girls running around here..lol.

• Like 2

A clean porta potty at a family/friend event is a far cry from the smelly disgusting ones you might find at a campsite or somewhere else where they are not maintained often.  I might make an exception for the elderly but other than that, I see no reason why people would be "too good" for the porta potty!  

• Like 3

If you have elderly or mobility impaired people coming try to get a handicapped porta potty. That would be much easier forany than navigating Amy steps in your house with a cane/walker etc.

No steps.  Actually our half bath is pretty accessible (we planned it that way when we built).  

I have been to large summer parties that had a porta-pot and I think it's a very good idea. The potential for a home toilet to get clogged or messy with a hundred folks using it is high and I don't want to monitor bathroom status all night long.

I guess a different possibility of DH feels it is too gauche would be to hire a bathroom attendant for the party. Someone paid to be stationed near the bathroom and keep supplies orderly and make sure there isn't a functional problem.

• Like 1

I guess a different possibility of DH feels it is too gauche would be to hire a bathroom attendant for the party. Someone paid to be stationed near the bathroom and keep supplies orderly and make sure there isn't a functional problem.

Lol, my first thought was: as long as they don't monitor the post-poop hand washing!

• Like 13

I used a Porta Potty today but only because I REALLY had to go and it was the only place available.  If I were at a house party and there was the choice between a Porta Potty and waiting in line for a real toilet, I would wait.   PPs are only for dire need.

• Like 1

I understand wanting to secure the upstairs with so many people around, whether you know them all or not.  I would recommend at least 3 or 4 mobile toilet stalls (there are porta-potties, and then there are portable restrooms, often with multiple "rooms", that can be rented, too).  If you only have one toilet available for 100+ people you will have people using your bushes and trying to get into the rest of the house, even it it has been closed off.  Figure that women and children will need an average of 5 minutes each to deal with clothing and actually washing of hands (yes, some won't take that long, but others will take longer).  If just 50 of the attendees are women and children that estimate would require 250 minutes (more than 4 hours) for each of them to use the restroom just once if there is only one toilet.  If you have only 2 toilets they will both likely be in use constantly, with lines waiting, for the majority of your event. 

Are you expecting any babies or toddlers in diapers?  Do you have anyplace safe and out of the mainstream for diaper changes?

• Like 3

DS suggests that if you must go with a portapotty - paint it to look like a tarsus. :)

With that many people, and only one bathroom available, I think it's a good idea.

ETA: tardis. Silly autocorrect on a phone.

• Like 3

Haha! Yes! Autocorrect strikes again!!!!!

Of course I meant a tardis. :)

Geek that I am I got the reference even before the correction.  Post-correction is when I realized I didn't even notice the error.  That's when I started imagining a porta-potty painted like a foot bone.

:w00t:

• Like 3

I'm now very nervous for the wear and tear on your septic system so I think you should rent a bunch of tardis porta potties and lock all the bathrooms!

Also, if my family came, dh would never use the bathroom, little dd and I would use it 1-3 times, and my sons would likely not use it at all. So not everyone will be using it. Not everyone will stay long enough to use it. Some people will use it excessively like me. <sob>

• Like 4

Geek that I am I got the reference even before the correction. Post-correction is when I realized I didn't even notice the error. That's when I started imagining a porta-potty painted like a foot bone.

:w00t:

What about a metatarsal porta potty?
  • Like 3

I voted that I would probably want to use the house bathroom, but then I actually read your post. With septic, I would absolutely get the porta-potty. And while I would wish I could use the house bathroom, if the wait was that long or I was that desperate, I would happily use the porta-potty as well. I think it's a smart investment. 

Also, now I want to take my introverted self into a corner and rock back and forth for awhile just thinking about throwing a party for that many people  :leaving: You're a brave woman!

• Like 4

I think you need to clear valuables etc out of your bedroom and let folks access the bathroom!  I would feel very insulted if I needed to pee and the hostess had access to one of two bathrooms locked off.  Being pointed to a portapotty instead of being allowed access to an upstairs bathroom would not go over well, either.  Geez, I am not good enough to sit on your toilet?

(just saying.  Most folks won't even consider that the reason the door is locked is so stuff won't get stolen....and if they do, they wonder why you think so little of them).

Now, if you upfront tell folks the portapotty is due to limits with the septic system....folks might be more understanding. Except Aunties and Grandmas who do not want to use a portapotty, or folks too shy to be seen heading thataway.

• Like 1

I think you need to clear valuables etc out of your bedroom and let folks access the bathroom!  I would feel very insulted if I needed to pee and the hostess had access to one of two bathrooms locked off.  Being pointed to a portapotty instead of being allowed access to an upstairs bathroom would not go over well, either.  Geez, I am not good enough to sit on your toilet?

(just saying.  Most folks won't even consider that the reason the door is locked is so stuff won't get stolen....and if they do, they wonder why you think so little of them).

It's not just a matter of making sure nothing gets stolen -- it's reducing the amount of the house that needs constant monitoring to make sure nothing illicit is taking place.  Even the appearance of something illicit taking place could potentially get the hosts in hot water.  She already mentioned that they don't know everyone that might be attending, so closing off the upstairs is a prudent measure to reduce the amount of the house they must constantly monitor.

I agree that you are quite brave to host this.  My uncle hosted a family reunion at his farm some years back.  We were ALL family, and not a one of us was offended that the upstairs was off-limits.  He had porta-potties, too (the older kind, since this was before the fancy kind more readily available now), and we all used them willingly.

• Like 5

I couldn't vote for any of those options.  I know what a porta-potty is, I don't think it's exactly rude to have one, but I wouldn't use one because I think they are revolting (even the 'nicer' ones because...well, porta-potty).  If I had to go so badly that I couldn't hold it and your bathroom wasn't available, I'd head on home or to the local McDonalds to pee.  I would forever associate you with a porta-potty.  I'm sorry; that's my honest opinion.  Is it possible to lock all upstairs doors except the bathroom and have that and the half bath available?  OK, this is one area time I can be called high maintenance, I admit it.

ETA:  I like the idea of a bathroom attendant mentioned upthread.

• Like 2

I'd definitely have a porta potty, at least as a back-up.  What if someone went in and stayed for long time?

100 people with one bathroom could prove disastrous if it gets clogged.  Are you on a well?  That could be a problem, too, with that many people.  

The rented potty units are cleaned and sanitized, with fresh chemicals.  They're not dirty or smelly.  Many have hand washing stations on the outside.  I wouldn't hesitate to have one in your situation.

• Like 1

Particularly after dark.

Seriously? :svengo:

I would be absolutely shocked and appalled if anyone urinated in my back yard. Or in anyone's back yard. :ack2:

I have never seen anyone do anything like that at a party -- or at any other time, now that I think of it. Yuck.

• Like 4

I would be absolutely shocked and appalled if anyone urinated in my back yard. Or in anyone's back yard. :ack2:

I have never seen anyone do anything like that at a party -- or at any other time, now that I think of it. Yuck.

Dang Catwoman, I'd have loved you to join in the weekly neighbourhood beer-o'clock.

I think you'd enjoy it too.

But, yes we have grown boys who love peeing outside.

We don't go and watch, wrong party for that!

Welcome to Australia where many of us learned shrubbery road-side stops from tiny.

• Like 8

Both little boys and grown men are sometimes known to do this where I live (in the Midwest), especially if the property is rural. I don't approve.   :mad:

• Like 2

:iagree:

• Like 1

I've never actually... ahem, SEEN it, lol, but there are some places I'm sure it's happened and others I would hope it would not.

My aunt's neat, suburban, somewhat small yard?  I'd be shocked.

My own rural, heavily wooded, large property where bears, deer, and smaller animals are constantly pooping all over the place? I'd never even notice human urine.

Actually, I've had the males of the house attempt to keep animals away that way. (Did not work.  And my eldest son outright refused, lol.)

• Like 2