Menu

Tips for sending a teen abroad?

In keeping with the severe "whiplash syndrome" that always seems to be a part of educating my youngest, within 5 minutes of my complaining on the board about what it would cost me to cancel ds's spot in AP Spanish next year and go with the less stressful option of Honors 5, ds received an invitation from our exchange student's family to join them for a month in Spain this summer.

I know this would be an amazing opportunity, but we would be sending him off to a foreign country and he would not be under the umbrella of any exchange program. What do I need to know and consider?

• Like 1

What a wonderful opportunity!  A couple of my boys have spent time in Europe.  Since he will be staying with a family, I think things might be easier.  Definitely send any medications he might need for the entire time...refills will be hard to get.  We sent our boys with a loadable VISA card...I could watch expenditures and put more money on it as needed.  Insurance...most US policies won't cover long-term visits abroad.  We didn't have him buy a phone, but there are lots of cheap phone options once you get to Europe (track-type phones, phone cards, etc.)  Pack light, so much easier than lugging big bags around.  #3 son used his school book backpack to travel around Europe for several weeks, but this is the kid who would easily survive as a homeless person.  

I encourage you to take advantage of this opportunity.  My boys came back with increased self-confidence and a new look on the world (politics, etc.).  

• Like 1

What a wonderful opportunity!  A couple of my boys have spent time in Europe.  Since he will be staying with a family, I think things might be easier.  Definitely send any medications he might need for the entire time...refills will be hard to get.  We sent our boys with a loadable VISA card...I could watch expenditures and put more money on it as needed.  Insurance...most US policies won't cover long-term visits abroad.  We didn't have him buy a phone, but there are lots of cheap phone options once you get to Europe (track-type phones, phone cards, etc.)  Pack light, so much easier than lugging big bags around.  #3 son used his school book backpack to travel around Europe for several weeks, but this is the kid who would easily survive as a homeless person.  

I encourage you to take advantage of this opportunity.  My boys came back with increased self-confidence and a new look on the world (politics, etc.).  

I don't think I would have considered this for my older kids, but ds is fairly self-sufficient and level-headed. He and our Spaniard talk on a weekly basis and love to argue politics. A loadable VISA card is a great idea. I forgot about the phone issue. Last summer, our guest could use his phone to call home, but it was too expensive for him to use it to keep in touch with us when he was downtown for classes. We just bought him a cheap phone that could be preloaded. Ds may have to do something similar while he is there.

Laura, would that be additional insurance that goes beyond our health insurance?

Does your existing insurances include medivac back home plus things such as paying for hotels if documents are lost and have to be reissued, causing a delay? Brits take out travel insurance...

• Like 2

Does your existing insurances include medivac back home plus things such as paying for hotels if documents are lost and have to be reissued, causing a delay? Brits take out travel insurance...

I am fairly sure it doesn't. Thanks for the heads-up on this.

Lisa, we use insuremytrip.com for trip insurance. You enter your data (countries, trip length, and so on) and instantly receive quotes for insurance coverage from competing companies (no need to talk to salespeople).

Oh thank you!  I also need to check on his passport. I think it expires in October. It seems to me that on one of dh's trips, one of the countries was a bit anxious about him having an expiration date close to the travel time. Besides, his photo was when he was 11 or 12 and he looks like a little "hood" in it. Not very reputable at all. I have no idea how he managed that.

Insurance (including evacuation).  Medications for trip.  Visas.  

I just sent a dd away to Germany for the summer last year.  She was there almost two months.

Our regular insurance covered her while abroad.  If you buy your plane ticket with a credit card,that will almost always automatically include extra trip insurance for emergencies and evacuation.  Check your policies (regular insurance and credit card).  We didn't have to buy anything extra.

US citizens usually don't need visas for most European countries, at least not for a summer visit.  Check, but I don't think you have to do anything except make sure he has a valid passport.

For money, we opened a small joint account with a debit Visa card.  She could use it to get money from ATMs there, or for point of purchase.  We could have easily refilled the account with money if we had needed to.  Just make sure the card uses an ATM network that's popular in Europe - I think they have Plus a lot, that was one of the ones on her card.

For a phone, if he has one with a removable SIM card, you can just buy a Spanish SIM card with a certain amount of minutes and pop it in.  That's what all the Europeans do when they change countries.  We did that when we were in England last summer.  Worked great.  Or, if his hosts have WiFi, he could just use that - Skype is free, and for texting, there's WhatsApp.  Our German exchange student used her iPhone to talk to her family for hours every weekend while she lived with us, and she did not have a US plan, nor did she ever have to pay a penny - it was all with Skype on our WiFi.

It's not as complicated as you think! :)

• Like 3

When dd went to Europe last year, we opened a new Visa card and added her as a signer.  Also she and I opened a joint checking account so she could use the debit card at the ATM or for purchases.  One of my friends told me that when traveling abroad, you should always have at least two different cards in case something happens with one account and the card gets frozen.  Well... even though we notified the banks in advance, one of the cards didn't work in one country because the stupid bank didn't put the correct foreign country authorization on the account.  She also took some euros so she didn't have to go to the ATM right away.

Also, she took an iPod and used free wi-fi to keep in touch with us through email.  And she said her small backpack came in very handy, as did a small camera (took better photos and video than the iPod did), and she had several memory cards with lots of capacity.

Some countries want the passport to be valid for 6 months (I think) beyond the expected date of return.

• Like 1

Yes, six months validity on a passport when entering a country...even if Spain doesn't require it you don't know if the family might take a quick hop to another country in the area.  Always a good idea so send the passport off asap!

• Like 2

Consider that his entire life might change :)

When my middle came to Denmark with us, he was only supposed to be an exchange student for six months. We assured him that even though his family was crazy enough to move overseas the summer before his senior year, we would do everything possible to keep his plans intact.

He ended up transferring to the IB program here, and now attends a university in Europe. And wants to go to grad school in Europe.

Based on my child's personality the first 17 years that I knew him, I never ever would have predicted this path for him.

• Like 6

Thank you all for the heads-up on the passport renewal. We went in person to apply  for his passport renewal last Friday and expedited it, which turned out to be a good thing as his hosts want him earlier than expected.

We were able to book his flight today after being on hold for an hour since he is a minor and his flight couldn't be booked online. The pickings were getting slim, but only one layover stateside both ways which is a relief for me.

We aren't going to have him check a bag. For those of you with guys that travel, is there a pack or bag you recommend?

• Like 2

My boys just use their backpacks plus a small lightweight case on wheels that meets carry-on regulations. Nothing special or expensive.

If he has never flown internationally, make sure he understands the return process through customs. At most (probably all) U.S. entry point airports, you have to fetch your luggage at your arrival point, take it through customs, then put it back on a luggage belt where it will be processed through to your next destination.

It can be confusing and extremely time consuming. We often have a two hour layover coming in and find ourselves running to make the connection. Not always, but often.

• Like 3

We aren't going to have him check a bag. For those of you with guys that travel, is there a pack or bag you recommend?

I don't own one yet, But this Tom Bihn bag is carry-on size even for smaller planes. It's a backpack/duffle, no wheels. 

Rick Steves bags also get good reviews. They have some backpack/duffles and wheeled carry-ons. 

I don't own either. I've just been reading a lot of bag reviews lately. 

What a wonderful opportunity.

• Like 1

I don't own one yet, But this Tom Bihn bag is carry-on size even for smaller planes. It's a backpack/duffle, no wheels. 

Rick Steves bags also get good reviews. They have some backpack/duffles and wheeled carry-ons. 

I don't own either. I've just been reading a lot of bag reviews lately. 

What a wonderful opportunity.

Beware of carry-on sizes - check with the particular airline.  Husband bought a bag that the manufacturer swore up and down was fine on a list of airlines.  But it wasn't - when measured it was too big.

So do your own checks.

L

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Update:

Thank you all for your help. The boy has just finished his second day in Spain. His flight over went smoothly and he now thinks international travel is a piece of cake.

He loves Spain and says the Spanish people are incredibly warm and welcoming. He has already been to the Museo del Prado  and to our exchange student's high school to meet his teachers, especially his English teacher.

He thinks eating dinner at 11 in the evening is an outstanding idea - one which we will not be adopting at home. :tongue_smilie:

When Sailor Dude returns home in a month, he is bringing our Spaniard with him and we may already have a French exchange student in the house.

I blame all of this on the WTM board. :D

• Like 9

Good to hear that all went well.  I sent kids back to the mainland this summer.  First time they flew alone.  I was very nervous about connecting flights, but it worked out well.  I guess they are pretty capable kids.

I can't recall if it was mentioned above.  Our credit union has a type of card that can be issued to a kid 10+ and that you can add money to electronically.  But it takes about a week to process and deliver.  

I had thought about sending my teens with a Visa gift card, but the amounts that can be loaded on that seemed pretty low.  Unfortunately, I didn't plan ahead enough to be able to get the bank card. It's something I'm looking at for future trips.

• Like 2

Ha.  Just sent the 16 year old to Japan for the summer.  DS21 will be heading to Barcelona in a few weeks.

Call the bank to let them know that the card/account will be used overseas.  Like the others, I have a joint account.

Make sure your health insurance will pay for emergency flight home.

Use app to communicate - LINE, WHATSAPP etc...

• Like 2

Good to hear that all went well.  I sent kids back to the mainland this summer.  First time they flew alone.  I was very nervous about connecting flights, but it worked out well.  I guess they are pretty capable kids.

I can't recall if it was mentioned above.  Our credit union has a type of card that can be issued to a kid 10+ and that you can add money to electronically.  But it takes about a week to process and deliver.  

I had thought about sending my teens with a Visa gift card, but the amounts that can be loaded on that seemed pretty low.  Unfortunately, I didn't plan ahead enough to be able to get the bank card. It's something I'm looking at for future trips.

Well, if you  can confess to being nervous, then so can I. We drove Sailor Dude to the airport for his 6:30am flight, saw him through security, and started home. Fifteen minutes into the drive, he calls to tell us that the flight has been delayed for 90 minutes. Apparently Delta was driving the part down from Boeing. :svengo: Thankfully, that just meant his originally five hour layover was shorter. I stayed awake until 3am when we received the text that he was with the family in Madrid.

He has flown twice without us this year for sailing, but it has always been with another teen sailor, so this was his first solo flight and first international flight.

Like you, we will have to look at the financial aspect a bit more for the next time. We explored the prepaid Visa idea, but some of the rates were incredible, so he is traveling with a bit of cash and his debit card. He went up to the bank on his own and had the notice to travel put on his account and moved the majority of his earnings to his savings account, so that if the card is lost, there is not that much in there. We can add more, but we'll have to see how bad the fees are to know if this was really a feasible plan.

Ha.  Just sent the 16 year old to Japan for the summer.  DS21 will be heading to Barcelona in a few weeks.

Call the bank to let them know that the card/account will be used overseas.  Like the others, I have a joint account.

Make sure your health insurance will pay for emergency flight home.

Use app to communicate - LINE, WHATSAPP etc...

How exciting for your family. What will your oldest be doing in Barcelona?

We added trip insurance even though we used air miles. It's so cheap that it is definitely worth the peace of mind if your regular insurance doesn't cover everything. Skype has been great.