Menu

Philosophy Class

Does anyone else teach homeschool high school philosophy?

I've been working on a homegrown class for (probably) next year for ds14.

I think he's going to like it.

A few minutes ago he came into my room to get an answer key.  He brought me a book and asked if it was the right one.  When I said "yes" he sighed and said, "I just spent an hour looking for a (different) book that didn't exist."

Then he said, "At least I didn't find it."  :lol:

Yep, he's going to like philosophy.

Any advice from someone who's btdt?

• Like 4

I just finished teaching a class to a group of boys ages 12-14. It was very energetic to say the least. 

My suggestion is to be prepared to steer the conversion back on path if it veers to far off course. Also you may need to step in and make sure all the kids have a chance to speak. For some kids (and adults for that matter) it is difficult to learn to listen and not always speak. 

So far I have (in no particular order): Philosophy for Kids, Understand Philosophy (3 book series by Joan A. Price), 501 Things You Should Have Learned About Philosophy, and Alice and Wonderland and Philosophy.

I'm not sure how I'm going to use these yet (or even if I'm going to use all of them).

Still looking for ideas.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Ethel, I noticed that some of the books you picked are from the same series as Philosophy for Kids.  I chose the one I did because it's the one they have at the library.  Do you think it would be worth it to get a higher level.  I saw that you are planning to use it with your son.  Do you know how you're going to use it?  I'm thinking 1 question a week with fill-ins from the other sources.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Ethel, I noticed that some of the books you picked are from the same series as Philosophy for Kids.  I chose the one I did because it's the one they have at the library.  Do you think it would be worth it to get a higher level.  I saw that you are planning to use it with your son.  Do you know how you're going to use it?  I'm thinking 1 question a week with fill-ins from the other sources.

Junie - I don't have the Teen books yet, so I'm not sure how I'm going to use it. With Philosophy for Kids we are doing 2 or 3 questions a week during our Morning Time. I'm doing Philosophy for Kids in the fall and then switching to CAP's logic series (starting with The Art of Argument) in the spring. If this works well, I'll continue the pattern for the next 2 or 3 years of doing philosophy one semester and logic the 2nd. At least, that's what I think I'm doing.

We're currently doing Sophie's World with 3 18yo. And we're having a blast!

It's really more of a history of philosophy though. Each philosopher is seen pretty quickly. But Sophie's story also helps in keeping the interest going. I love how it shows "the Great Conversation", and how ideas are passed on from one century to the next.

If you're planning on a whole year of Philosophy, I'd use Sophie's World in the first quarter, to lay the ground work.  And then go deeper.

• Like 2