Menu

Anyone used Discovery Education Science for upper elementary?

KarenNC

I have a third grader, more literature-oriented than math and science-oriented, very advanced reader. Science is the subject that I feel least confident in teaching adequately without a curriculum. I've tried three different ones, but as soon as we start with something that looks promising, the rug gets pulled out from under us---they quit publishing the program altogether, start switching editions so that parts go away while the new editions aren't yet ready, stop partway through the series, etc. Add to that that I am looking for a non-religion-specific curriculum and it's been quite frustrating.

The Homeschool Buyer's Co-op has available Discovery Education Science (from the Discovery Channel) online for $129 this year for a combined elementary and middle school level (vs. over $250 for one level alone). We have signed up for the 30-day free trial to see if it might be an option for us. They have virtual labs, various activities, videos, etc, covering physical, life and earth science (at least that's the elementary level). I like the option to access more in-depth info if she finds something particularly interesting and that assessments are included in the program, I'm just not quite sure how one structures it to get the maximum benefit.

None of her other work is computer-based at the moment, but she is comfortable using the computer. She will also be doing various hands-on activities through Girl Scouts, things at the library, visits to the local science museum, etc. and has lots of books on various science topics available at home and in the library.

I'd love to hear how other folks have used this, how you implemented it, and if you felt it worked well as a core curriculum.

Yes, I think you could develop a very nice program using DE, especially since many of the shows come with lesson plans and worksheets. Did you see the post about it costing only $49 if you join a particular homeschool group? If not, you might want to search for it. It was on the general board.

We use powermediaplus.com which access about 60% of what's on DE. It's free in certain states, so you may want to look into that. Call your PBS station and ask to speak to the person in charge of education.

I came across a lovely little blog the other day. This mother seems to be doing a great job integrating videos into her schedule. She's doing something different than you mentioned, but maybe it will help you brainstorm http://littleacornscds.blogspot.com/2008/08/week-3-missouri-lesson-plans.html

Yes, I think you could develop a very nice program using DE, especially since many of the shows come with lesson plans and worksheets. Did you see the post about it costing only $49 if you join a particular homeschool group? If not, you might want to search for it. It was on the general board.

We use powermediaplus.com which access about 60% of what's on DE. It's free in certain states, so you may want to look into that. Call your PBS station and ask to speak to the person in charge of education.

I came across a lovely little blog the other day. This mother seems to be doing a great job integrating videos into her schedule. She's doing something different than you mentioned, but maybe it will help you brainstorm http://littleacornscds.blogspot.com/2008/08/week-3-missouri-lesson-plans.html

Thanks for the info. This is a bit different than the Discovery Streaming, though, which is what I believe the homeschool group is offering. The Discovery Education Science has ebooks, virtual labs, etc.

• 4 months later...

I'm pretty sure that this is the same Discovery Education video-on-demand (United Streaming) that a lot of us are using, except that you would just be buying access to the science videos.

I have the whole enchilada, but even if I just had the science videos, it would be a lot. And, yes, you certainly could put together a science curriculum with just the jillions of science videos you'll have access to.

Put together a topic list of what you want to study. Watch 2-10 videos on each topic. Perhaps ask your student to read a related encyclopedia article. Discuss. Make a few notes. Illustrate. Put it in a notebook. I'd call that Science for 3rd grade.

What we do -- we use a regular science curriculum as our spine, and we enrich each chapter with several related United Streaming videos.

It's a wonderful resource for a homeschooling family. I am REALLY grateful to have it.

Discovery science is different than discovery streaming. I did the trial and went through several levels. My problem is while it seems great, I don't know how it compares to other science courses. It seemed a little light. I focused on the earth science course. Hope you get some better answers!