Menu

Singapore Components

mohini

Hi, I'm planning on switching my 9yr old "5th" grader to Singapore after the summer. I'm wondering what combination of books everyone uses. I'm planning on getting Text + Workbook + Hig. Could I get away with Workbook + Hig with maybe another practice book alongside? Which practice book?

We are moving away from very spiral CLE (which has been great but it's time to move on.) My ds needs lots of reinforcement and review which is why I was thinking of adding a practice book but I don't actually want to kill him. My memory of Singapore is that the Text was very similar to the workbook. 

Are there any other resources you use to support SM?

I think you need the Textbook. It has more explanation than the workbook, IMO. The HIG is useful but mostly for the parent. It does have the Textbook answers and the Mental Math, plus enrichment activities. I use the Textbook the most, and I glance at the HIG every day. We do practice problems from the Textbook, and the chapter reviews from it, but we skip the Workbook in favor of problems from the Intensive Practice and Challenging Word Problems, as they are a bit more challenging than the Textbook problems. But for more review, I'd use both the Textbook and the Workbook problems.

• Like 2

Hi, I'm planning on switching my 9yr old "5th" grader to Singapore after the summer. I'm wondering what combination of books everyone uses. I'm planning on getting Text + Workbook + Hig. Could I get away with Workbook + Hig with maybe another practice book alongside? Which practice book?

We are moving away from very spiral CLE (which has been great but it's time to move on.) My ds needs lots of reinforcement and review which is why I was thinking of adding a practice book but I don't actually want to kill him. My memory of Singapore is that the Text was very similar to the workbook. 

Are there any other resources you use to support SM?

When we used SM, we used the following:

- PM Textbook (US Ed.)

- PM Workbook (US Ed.)

- Home Instructor Guide - this was indispensible, as I needed to learn the SM math approach, esp. with word problems; also, I loved having various activities/games to go with each topic.

- Intensive Practice - completed 80-90% of this

- Challenging Word Problems - completed about 50% of this

I owned but only intermittently used the Extra Practice book.  You should have plenty of problem sets with the Intensive Practice.

Before purchasing, you'll want to give your child the placement test at singaporemath.com.  Their numbering system doesn't quite line up with U.S. grade levels, as their birthday cut-off dates are different than ours.

The Textbook and Workbook are at a medium level of difficulty, not too different than regular American-style math programs.  However, in the Intensive Practice and Challenging Word Problems series, about half of the problems are similar in difficulty to the Textbook/Workbook, and the other half are more like gifted/talented puzzle-y complex math problems.  These are what make SM unique and fun, IMO!

HTH!

• Like 1

I'd skip the WB, before the TB. The TB helps to teach the concepts, whereas the WB is strictly practice. I'd say the WB and IP are more similar in format than the WB & TB.

So for a 9yo working at a 5th grade level I guess I'd recommend HIG, TB, replacing the WB w/ IP & adding CWP.

HTH!

I think getting on HIG to get an idea of how Singapore methods work is a good idea. I used HIG a lot at first, but now that I know the approach I don't use it as much. It does make grading/correcting quicker.

The text really gives the explanation. Some kids can get it from the workbook, but if only doing one I would get text and have them do all problems instead of select problems and the workbook. But there's value in the exercises in the workbook. You could do IP instead of workbook.

We just completed 3A/B with DS8 and thus far, we have hardly used the Textbook.  We use the HIG, WB, IP (mostly for spiral review), the TeStbook (again, mostly for spiral review and honestly, I hardly used it this year), CWP, and PSiPS (Process Skills in Problem Solving).  Primarily, we use the WB, CWP and PSiPS.