Menu

Did someone give a name to a math class combining AOPS counting & probability and number theory?

I currently have it listed in two different transcript versions (I am toying with two different templates atm) as Special Math Topics, and Num. Theory and Count. & Prob. respectively. Abbreviated due to lack of space for the latter. The course description will explain more, and will be especially useful for Special Math Topics.

I don't want to call it Discrete Mathematics because DS might take a course called Discrete Mathematics at CC/uni and I don't want to confuse the two.

• Like 1

Are you referring to the intro or intermediate C&P book? The intro C&P book is what I use to satisfy California's algebra 1.

I don't want to call it Discrete Mathematics because DS might take a course called Discrete Mathematics at CC/uni and I don't want to confuse the two.

Same here.

I am thinking of calling it Introduction to Discrete Math for the Intermediate C&P book if I am going to put it in the transcript at all.

• Like 1

I would just list them separately as AoPS Counting & Probability and AoPS Number Theory with the appropriate credit allotment for each.  Maybe each is 1/2 credit?  Simpler than having to change the name if you put them together and follow up with Discrete Math or Statistics, or whatever.

• Like 1

My son did the AOPS Intro to Counting & Probability along with a variety of other resources (a brief intro to statistics, some books on cryptography, etc.) for a course we called Topics in Discrete Mathematics. 

I opted for the "topics" label, rather than straight up Discrete Mathematics, because we really did a pretty high-level survey of just stuff I thought would interest him. 

• Like 1

I think Discrete Math is the one I was remembering from the other thread. I'm kind of liking Special Topics in Math. 

She won't be taking DE math next year, so that's not a worry, but we will need to have some kind of name for her intended senior year classes as she submits applications beginning in the summer. 

thanks!

• Like 1

My son did the AOPS Intro to Counting & Probability along with a variety of other resources (a brief intro to statistics, some books on cryptography, etc.) for a course we called Topics in Discrete Mathematics. 

I opted for the "topics" label, rather than straight up Discrete Mathematics, because we really did a pretty high-level survey of just stuff I thought would interest him. 

Ooh, cryptography, she'd probably enjoy adding a bit of that, she loved that stuff when she was younger.