Menu

Is it typical for life insurance companies to send someone to your home to do a physical?

Sherri in MI

I have never experienced this before & last night my husband dropped the bomb on me that a nurse practitioner is coming to our home on Saturday to do a physical. 

We had life insurance before but he let it drop a few years ago because we had financial problems.  We are older now & he has just been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, is overweight & has high cholesterol.

He also said they want to evaluate our home.  What??  I never heard of that.  This is AAA by the way.

It's not the physical I object to.  I know they would want that with his health problems.  It's them coming to our home.

Is this typical?  And do we have other options?  Can't he go somewhere to get the required physical?

I have never experienced this before & last night my husband dropped the bomb on me that a nurse practitioner is coming to our home on Saturday to do a physical. 

We had life insurance before but he let it drop a few years ago because we had financial problems.  We are older now & he has just been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, is overweight & has high cholesterol.

He also said they want to evaluate our home.  What??  I never heard of that.  This is AAA by the way.

It's not the physical I object to.  I know they would want that with his health problems.  It's them coming to our home.

Is this typical?  And do we have other options?  Can't he go somewhere to get the required physical?

Yes, this is typical nowadays.  You might find a company that doesn't but we were not able to.  We got hit with a higher rate because we are "underweight" according to them.  Seriously.  

We had this done many years ago, so it's not a new thing. I don't remember any home evaluation, but maybe she just did a casual glance around the house to see what she needed to see, like if it reeked of smoke or we had poo on the floors or some other nastiness.

yes, our original life insurance came to do BP and weight and bloodwork on us.  

My mom just said she had a nurse come for her medical insurance.  Did the works at the house.  She was very bothered by it.  She said they were checking out the home.  I believe this was through AARP.  

we've always had someone come here. it is very standard.  insurance companies have control over the blood work, as well as what is done.  bp is taken multiple times during the exam, and while asking lots of questions.

I've never heard of them evaluating the home.

I just had one here last week but I had the option to go to their office. Evaluate my home?? No. She just walked in and sat down.

Um, no?  This has never happened to us, and I would fight it if it did. 

What the heck?  Offer to meet them in an official doctor office setting. 

Our insurance gave us a choice. DH went to a medical clinic, and did his work up there. I didn't have time to do that, so they scheduled someone to come to our house. It was pretty easy. They measure you, weigh you, listen to your lungs and take blood. 

Yep. A nurse came to the house. She did some questions, weight, bp, temp, etc. It was quick and easy. No one 'inspected' any thing. In fact, I think we spent the entire time at the same table. She did her job and then left.

Is it possible your DH misunderstood what they meant by home evaluation? Normally that would refer to the in-home physical.

That's what I was thinking.

They come to you for your convenience. I believe there's usually an option to go to them if you prefer. DH just had his done at his office, but they offered another location if he didn't have access to a private room.

• Like 2

We had a nurse come to our home to do a short evaluation/exam in 1999 when we were in our very early 30's with no health problems and asking for $350,000 and $150,000 of insurance.  She also drew blood.  I was pg at the time, but we did not know it, though a blood test would likely have shown this.  That always made me chuckle.   :)

ETA:  There was no evaluation of our home.  The evaluation was of us.

We have always  had them done at home.  It's for the customer's convenience.  I never thought anyone was evaluating our home at all.   Maybe they sniff for cigarette smell to be sure the nonsmoker rate applies.   I don't know that there is an "official doctor's office setting" (as a pp mentioned) to do it at, as the nurses are contracted by the insurance company.  But my husband could have had it done at his office if that was more convenient.

This seems really crazy to me.  How intrusive.  However, judging by the other responses, I guess it is common.  Yikes.

How is it intrusive?  If you are asking an insurance company to insure your life for a large amount of money, it is in their best interest to make sure you won't be keeling over the next day.

• Like 5

How is it intrusive?  If you are asking an insurance company to insure your life for a large amount of money, it is in their best interest to make sure you won't be keeling over the next day.

It is intrusive to me if they are doing a home inspection.  I am ok with a physical exam.

• Like 2

It is intrusive to me if they are doing a home inspection. I am ok with a physical exam.

Mine was quite convenient. I doubt there is a home inspection although I guess they could easily figure out if you were a hoarder or had a pet tiger or something.

• Like 5

Yes, this is typical nowadays.  You might find a company that doesn't but we were not able to.  We got hit with a higher rate because we are "underweight" according to them.  Seriously.  

Underweight?  Seriously? We are the opposite unfortunately.

Thanks for your replies.

I know it is common for physicals but I didn't realize it was so common for them to require to do it at your home.  As some of you said, I guess they intend it to be a convenience, but it is a huge INconvenience for me.  I always thought you had the option of going to a medical clinic, but dh made it seem as if it had to be in the home or office & he has no office.  He is on the road for his work.  As Lisbeth said I find them coming to the home very intrusive.  It's also disruptive as he scheduled it for a Saturday which is usually our family day:  either to sleep in & hang out in our jammies or go out.  He is the only one getting the physical.

I'm embarrassed to have anyone in our home.  Dh knows that because I have told him.  Even if I had time to declutter and do a proper cleaning, it would still be embarrassingly dingy.  I think even our place was nice I think I would feel uncomfortable having a stranger in.  I'm surprised dh is so cheerful and comfortable about it.  It's odd that he is because while very outgoing at church and on the job, he is actually very reclusive at home.  Ds & I are more reserved in manner than dh is but like to be with people more.  When dh is home he doesn't really like to have people in & he doesn't like to go out.  I have to drag him to church socials & other social events or go by myself  I surprised he is comfortable with this.

I think perhaps he did misunderstand about the home evaluation.  And perhaps he does have the option of going to a clinic.

I doubt there is a home inspection. I assume OP's DH misunderstood the fact that the health evaluation will be done in your home. As others noted, you often have a choice as to where to do it that is convenient for you. The nurses are contract nurses who don't usually have an office to work at. The one who came to my home was very nice and professional. We sat at my kitchen table. She did not inspect my house.

• Like 2

Yes, she even did an EKG, but I am over 50. :o

so am I, but I don't remember an ekg.  I did have the pleasant surprise of getting a preferred rate.  given what some of my other labs with my reg. doc had been and we were working on getting the numbers under control, it was a nice surprise.

My bladder did decide to NOT GIVE UP ANYTHING!  I was guzzling water before she even arrived. . . . . . she finally went to her next appointment, and came back.  :toetap05:

We had that happen for the first time when we renewed our policy. She was a little strange, and I'm pretty sure she was poking around the medicine cabinet when she used the washroom. We both felt super uncomfortable with her whole visit.

Wait, now that I think on it, the renewal before that, I think dh had a blood draw, but it didn't feel uncomfortable. Perhaps it was just the individual.

It's not solely a matter of convenience, it's also because the nurse probably does this for a living and isn't working for a local doctor/office so doesn't have anywhere else to do it but your home.  That was the case in our situation anyway, and seems to make sense.  It's not like the insurance company is working with a local doctor, getting nurses from them, or having rooms there available to them.  The insurance company has nurses they hire just for this and those nurses travel around from house to house doing evaluations. 

• Like 5

Yes, I bought additional life insurance two years ago, and they sent a nurse out to the house.

She was very friendly and a retiree from a hospital job.  She did the physicals on a contract basis to stretch her budget a bit. She apologized several times for keeping things moving, but she had a lot of appointments that day.  When she made the appointment she asked that I have a quiet room planned where she could do her thing.  We just went to the dining room at the front of the house.

She took a picture of my driver's license with her phone and then weighed me, measured me, listened to my heart/lungs, and took blood.  I also gave urine.  Then she asked a few general health questions, and I signed a form.

She said that weight was the biggest reason that folks don't get approved.

There was a number I was to call after a certain date to see if I got medical clearance and to confirm the rate.

Not a big deal at all.  She was there probably all of 20 minutes at most from the time she arrived with her bags to the time she packed up and left.

Is it typical for life insurance companies to send someone to your home to do a physical?

Yes.  In mid 1990s husband and I each purchased a $250,000 on our lives.  A nurse stopped by our house to perform a physical.

Two years ago, husband purchased a larger life insurance policy.  Nurse performed a more detailed physical of the insured in our home.

No physical was required for my two basic employer-provided life insurance policies.

Coming to your home to do a physical, yes - both my husband and I had nurses come to the house to do our physicals (we have different policies with different companies; his is through a more nationally known company, whereas mine is through the Knights of Columbus). So yes, I would think that is common.

I have NEVER, however, heard of them coming to evaluate the HOUSE. Odd.