Menu

Logic stage History (5th grade)

beansprouts

I am restructuring my week so we spend an hour or so every day on both history and science. DD's science (Sonlight 5) seems too intensive to cram into two days. What does your week look like for History for those using SOTW and KHE?

5th grade here, using SOTW and KHE. We use two days a week for this, about an hour to hour and a half. Ds does the reading on his own. Basically, I help him do a one level outline of 5 or 6 paragraphs from whatever SOTW chapter he is reading that week. Then, I assign him the corresponding pages in KHE to read. He takes dates from that and puts them on timeline. He picks two topics/people/events from KHE reading that he wants to read further about. He (with my help if needed) looks up info. in World Book encyclopedia or lib. books about his chose topics. He reads and then writes one or two narrations (one paragraph each) on his topics. He completes the KQ map that goes with the SOTW chapter. He recites to me whatever memory work he is working on. And that's it. :)