Menu

Favorite online Geometry?

Looking for a geometry class for next year for DD who will be in 8th.  We've loved AoPS, and they have a 24 week Geometry class, but I want to explore all options.  It seems like it would be rather important to have more visual components than AoPS offers in their class.  But I don't know, maybe you've had a child take it and loved it.  I am hoping to find something that might easily be accepted by a public high school if we decide to go that route later.

What else is out there and what can you tell me about it?  

Derek Owens (using Jacobs)? 

Wilson Hill (using Jurgensen)?

Potters School (using UCSMP)?

TabletClass?

BYU Independent Study (teacher-led)

Edx has a semester-long Geometry course, it's just wrapping up now but I would imagine it will be re-offered each semester.  It's excellent instruction. I don't think it offers sufficient practice for mastery, but you could complete the course and get a certificate. Whether that would be accepted by a high school? I'm not sure. But it does meet CC Standards for High School Geometry.

• Like 2

ds13 has thoroughly enjoyed Wilson Hill Academy Geometry this year.  The Jurgensen text combined with excellent instruction and live classroom interaction twice a week (90 minute classes) is hard to beat.  The live component and direct teacher/student interaction was what really set it apart for us.  He used AoPS for algebra I but likes the interactive component more.  We'll continue this Fall with Algebra 2 at WHA.  Dolciani is used for Algebra I & II.

• Like 3

ds13 has thoroughly enjoyed Wilson Hill Academy Geometry this year.  The Jurgensen text combined with excellent instruction and live classroom interaction twice a week (90 minute classes) is hard to beat.  The live component and direct teacher/student interaction was what really set it apart for us.  He used AoPS for algebra I but likes the interactive component more.  We'll continue this Fall with Algebra 2 at WHA.  Dolciani is used for Algebra I & II.

Sorry, OP, to hijack your thread, but I wanted to follow up this post with a question: 

I'm second-guessing my decision to enroll my DD3 (turning 11 this October) in WTM Academy's AoPS/Singapore Pre-Algebra. My other option was Wilson Hill's Pre-Algebra. I've actually been lying awake worrying about whether I made the right decision for the last several nights! Why is this such a tough decision? I suspect that eventually we'll work our way over to Wilson Hill for Algebra 1 and beyond, so does it make more sense just to start her there in Pre-A this fall? She is a somewhat young, mathy student, but I wouldn't say she loves to struggle over ultra-difficult problems. Actually, I might describe her as a get-'er-done math student (albeit one with a rock-solid foundation in elementary math and fabulous mental math skills). She has done MM 1-6, and will do 7A this spring/summer just to keep chugging ahead. Won't someone just tell me what to do already?

• Like 1

Sorry, OP, to hijack your thread, but I wanted to follow up this post with a question: 

I'm second-guessing my decision to enroll my DD3 (turning 11 this October) in WTM Academy's AoPS/Singapore Pre-Algebra. My other option was Wilson Hill's Pre-Algebra. I've actually been lying awake worrying about whether I made the right decision for the last several nights! Why is this such a tough decision? I suspect that eventually we'll work our way over to Wilson Hill for Algebra 1 and beyond, so does it make more sense just to start her there in Pre-A this fall? She is a somewhat young, mathy student, but I wouldn't say she loves to struggle over ultra-difficult problems. Actually, I might describe her as a get-'er-done math student (albeit one with a rock-solid foundation in elementary math and fabulous mental math skills). She has done MM 1-6, and will do 7A this spring/summer just to keep chugging ahead. Won't someone just tell me what to do already?

Haha, well, quite honestly there are good arguments for/against both options.  So that is why I understand the struggle.  After going through AoPS Algebra and then Wilson Hill I have experience with both to an extent.  I always caveat recommendations with 'this varies on a per child basis.'  Based upon what you are describing in your daughter, I think it's a tough call.  Considering 'curriculum only,' not taking into account the teachers and what they bring to the table (which can be a lot!), I would say AoPS will be more rigorous.  AoPS will also challenge your dd to think differently using more of a discovery approach. Whereas Dolciani is a standard, classical math text which is also very good, but not at the same level of challenge as AoPS.  Which will be the better one for her is the real question?

Now, it gets interesting when you add in the fact that you see her eventually moving over to WHA.  That being the case, it gives WHA a bit of an edge in having more consistency and familiarity with the way they do things.  I am not familiar WTM Academy through personal usage.  But there have been quite a number of good reviews on here regarding the quality and rigor of the education.  So honestly, I don't think you can wrong either way. I think it will really boil down to wanting to stay with the same academy for consistency and whether or not you want to take a stab at AoPS with your daughter.  Just the question of whether to use AoPS in and of itself is a big one!  For ds13, he was not ready for AoPS at the Pre-A stage while transitioning from concrete operations to abstract reasoning. With all the other changes going on developmentally (cognitively and maturity level), it wasn't until the next year that AoPS became a more viable option for him during Algebra 1.  If your daughter prefers a more straight forward, get-er-done math, Dolciani is much more this way while still covering a solid S&S.

I recommend having your dd take a look at the AoPS samples and doing some Alcumus to get a general feel for her impressions of the program and it's approach.  If it drives her nuts and she just can't stand it, that gives you a good indicator of her potential readiness and response to the curriculum.  Additionally, the Dolciani text can be found on the used market very affordably. So it may be worth picking up a copy to do a direct compare with her.  At least in trying out the AoPS samples with Alcumus, it will give you a greater sense of peace with your final decision.  And your daughter may ultimately be the one who tips the scales in one direction over the other.   ;)

I probably should know this as my son is signed up for their Alg 2 in the fall....but what text does WH use? Dolciani?

feeling sheepish.....

Yes Dolciani for pre-algebra, algebra 1, and algebra2.

PreAlgebra: An Accelerated Course, 1992, by Mary Dolciani (ISBN 0395591236)

They also use the Jurgensen geometry text. Dolciani was listed as an author on the older editions of the Jurgensen geometry text, so I would think the geometry text would fit in well with the rest of the Dolciani sequence.

• Like 2

Yes Dolciani for pre-algebra, algebra 1, and algebra2.

PreAlgebra: An Accelerated Course, 1992, by Mary Dolciani (ISBN 0395591236)

They also use the Jurgensen geometry text. Dolciani was listed as an author on the older editions of the Jurgensen geometry text, so I would think the geometry text would fit in well with the rest of the Dolciani sequence.

We like Dolciani here--we used the Pre-A text for a bit.