Menu

Sample lesson of Lial's Prealgebra?

I was able to pick up the 2nd edition of Lial's Prealgebra & Introductory Algebra (P&IA) at a used book sale.  I looked at the table of contents for her Prealgebra (P) book online, & they match up with the first half of the book that I just bought.  My question is do the lessons in the (P) book go into more detail than the (P&IA) book?  Is there a sample online somewhere of one of the (P) lessons that I can use for comparison? I'm looking to use this book next year for an 8th grader.  Thank you.

Given as you have gotten no answers:

I have not used this but I have used a similar introductory and intermediate algebra from a different publisher as well as the lial college algebra + trigonometry. The lessons were nearly verbatim except that overlap and review at the beginning was eliminated (you can see this with the TOC -- chapter 10 in the combined includes chapters 1 + 2 in the introductory) because a student is assumed to have just completed the first half of the book. If you use it for both pre-algebra and algebra 1, you may need to incorporate extra review at the beginning of algebra 1 unless you review through the summer. 

• Like 1

I picked up a instructor's copy of Lial & Hestwood's Prealgebra, 3rd edition, a student's solutions manual for the same edition, and a set of Digital Video Tutor CDs to accompany Lial & Hestwood's Prealgebra: An Integrated Approach.  There is an actual 5th edition of the Prealgebra book out now and that might be the edition for which you found a TOC online, but if you want we can try to compare mine to the book you have.  Is there a particular level of lesson you were wanting to compare?

I have not yet used my book.  We are going to start it this summer.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I picked up a instructor's copy of Lial & Hestwood's Prealgebra, 3rd edition, a student's solutions manual for the same edition, and a set of Digital Video Tutor CDs to accompany Lial & Hestwood's Prealgebra: An Integrated Approach.  There is an actual 5th edition of the Prealgebra book out now and that might be the edition for which you found a TOC online, but if you want we can try to compare mine to the book you have.  Is there a particular level of lesson you were wanting to compare?

I have not yet used my book.  We are going to start it this summer.

Sorry for the late reply.  We've been on vacation, & I just saw this. I ended up ordering the 3rd edition of just the prealgebra book, & it's coming tomorrow. I'll be able to see how the two books match up.  Thanks.