Menu

Rough first HS year - suggestions/help for year #2?

This post is long, so I do want to say at the outset that I'm looking for guidance and suggestions to make our second (and future) HS years better than year #1. I would also like to hear thoughts about where we go for the balance of this year...we're maybe 50% through what I planned for the year - we made progress in many unplanned areas, but I am worried by how much was NOT done this year :-(

We do intend to continue - I really believe it can work and that it's the right fit for our family. I just need to do a better job of it, and could use help determining what 'a better job' looks like. Feel free to ask questions if what I post sounds muddled...For reference, DCs are Grade 2 and Grade 5 this year. Both are bright and enjoy learning....which makes it all the more worrisome for me as both kids could easily be much further along than they are - and I feel I am solely responsible for our delays. This has badly overwhelmed me....

Everything I've read and heard tells me that the first year of homeschooling is tough...and ours was certainly no exception. On top of 'normal' newbie issues, we had some major life events that disrupted and distracted, and DH's work was such that I more or less single-parented for much of the year...while running our growing business. We got off to a rough start, moving to a new city in August, joining (then leaving) a Charter ISP that all of us found unhelpful and restrictive. My curriculum choices were rushed and honestly, I really didn't know what I was supposed to be doing.

In hindsight, I wish that I had read (and followed) advice that SWB gave in an interview this year - first year homeschoolers should definitely consider 'school in a box' for the first year, just to get used to the reality of being at home together, get into the swing of homeschooling, etc. How I wish our ES would have recommended something - anything - for a set curriculum...I went in blind and more ignorant than I would have imagined. We ended up switching things around more than a few times and didn't get much traction in areas other than math and history. Even there, we're about 50% through our math curriculum, and we have shamelessly allowed ourselves to get stuck in Rome for the past 7 months....and we skipped Greece and Egypt to get there...

I've spent the better part of the year researching, reading and learning about different HSing methods, philosophies etc - I am very clear on the direction I would like us to take (Classical, Lit-based, strong history focus - and aligned with the views expressed by Circe-types) and am comfortable with that style and approach....it's also a good fit for the kids. But I'm finding it so challenging personally to get there when starting from ground zero (the scheduling, planning, book-getting...all while mom-ing, wife-ing and working!).

So I guess in practical terms I'm wondering, what do I do from here? We will not have finished the grade level materials by the 'end' of this year - do we just stop, recalibrate and start fresh in a couple of months? Do I bust out the new materials I finally settled on?

Or, do I wave the white flag and purchase a boxed curric for year 2 to let us catch our breath? Bookshark is looking attractive...despite the fact I've already purchased materials to help us carry on from where we are. I'm worried that even the 'extra' time and effort of pulling together resources will sink me at this point.

From a timing standpoint, I would ultimately like to school year-round, but I'm not sure this is the best year to start - we are feeling pretty beat up (mostly me and DH - the kids are great!!). I also find that the DC are much happier (and less inclined to bicker) with the structure and stimulation of daily lessons - even if it's only math, copywork and reading.

In practical terms, we could comfortably finish Math by mid-July (it would feel good to finish something!). We could read some great books and continue improving writing skills during that time. The kids are doing an 8 week course at a local zoo for science...so all is not lost. I'm just a little freaked out ;-) Simply sharing it here has helped...

ETA - while it's probably obvious from our uneven progress, we've mostly been practicing a 'do the next thing' approach. I'm a box-checker and would like to have some sort of planner in place...

Thank you for your patience if you've made it this far - any guidance (and encouragement for those who've walked this road longer than me) would be appreciated!

• Like 1

...I'm looking for guidance and suggestions to make our second (and future) HS years better than year #1. I would also like to hear thoughts about where we go for the balance of this year...we're maybe 50% through what I planned for the year - we made progress in many unplanned areas, but I am worried by how much was NOT done this year :-(

We do intend to continue - I really believe it can work and that it's the right fit for our family... For reference, DCs are Grade 2 and Grade 5 this year. Both are bright and enjoy learning...

Welcome! 

Your children are young, and you had additional circumstances making your transition into homeschooling busier than hoped for. Chalk it up to experience, and don't fret about what you didn't get to that was on your "to do list". :)

One thing I notice from your post is that you *DIDN'T* mention any attitude issues or huge gaps or hurdles in your students' knowledge base, moving from public school to home school. So I'd definitely call this first year a success! :)

While it can often be helpful to start with a box curriculum in your transition year, there's no guarantee that the box of material will at all match up with your students' learning styles and your teaching style. And a box curriculum in no way guarantees you would have accomplished more than what you did this year. :)

Things you *did* accomplish this year --  and this is huge, so give yourself some much-deserved credit:

- successfully transitioned from public school to home school

- tried out several different programs and discovered what did and did not work

- kept alive the love of learning

- enjoyed learning about a topic of interest (ancient Rome)

- enjoyed learning together

… DH's work was such that I more or less single-parented for much of the year...while running our growing business...…  I am very clear on the direction I would like us to take (Classical, Lit-based, strong history focus - and aligned with the views expressed by Circe-types) and am comfortable with that style and approach....it's also a good fit for the kids.

Will these continue to be factors in the next school year? And if so, would ideas for "open and go" programs and independent-working programs be of help? If so, let us know what you used this year, and what worked / didn't work, so we don't recommend things that flopped. ;)

… So I guess in practical terms I'm wondering, what do I do from here? … do we just stop, recalibrate and start fresh in a couple of months? Do I bust out the new materials I finally settled on?

...In practical terms, we could comfortably finish Math by mid-July (it would feel good to finish something!). We could read some great books and continue improving writing skills during that time. The kids are doing an 8 week course at a local zoo for science...

Sounds like you have a good plan here in the last paragraph of this quotation excerpt. :)

Most school systems go for another 2-3 weeks, so why not use that time to wind up what you can as far as as your language arts materials, and then do a gentle 3-4 days/week over the summer with a little math and writing and lots of fun History read alouds that you didn't get to earlier in the year (do it for *fun* and however much or little happens naturally over the summer -- do NOT do it with a death-march-must-catch-up mentality ;) ). And just enjoy the zoo science as a fun summer activity.

Start your new stuff in the new school year. There's always something more to learn, so sometimes you just have to draw a line in the sand and say, "we're done for this year; congratulations, DC, you're promoted to 3rd and 6th grade for next year." ;)

… do I wave the white flag and purchase a boxed curric for year 2 to let us catch our breath? Bookshark is looking attractive… despite the fact I've already purchased materials to help us carry on from where we are. I'm worried that even the 'extra' time and effort of pulling together resources will sink me at this point.

From a timing standpoint, I would ultimately like to school year-round, but I'm not sure this is the best year to start - we are feeling pretty beat up (mostly me and DH - the kids are great!!). I also find that the DC are much happier (and less inclined to bicker) with the structure and stimulation of daily lessons - even if it's only math, copywork and reading.

JMO: Bookshark (and Sonlight) are fairly parent-time-intensive; you would likely feel stressed trying to keep up with their box-checking schedule. So I don't think switching to that particular box is going to streamline things for you...

What materials have you purchased for next year that you settled on and feel good about? That would help us figure out ways of using those materials in a streamlined fashion for next year.

Again, welcome! And congratulations on making it through your transition year! Next year will be something all new. ;) Warmest regards, Lori D.

• Like 8

:iagree:  I'm with Lori D. Even if you would like to improve on things next year, you need a big pat on the back first.

I hear what Lori is also saying about the Sonlight/Bookshark lists. Maybe those would be overwhelming. But, maybe you just want that part done, and you can relax and get into it. Either way, if you order a boxed curriculum, I think you need to have a plan for adjusting and adapting so that you don't get overwhelmed if your boxes aren't checked as easily or thoroughly as you'd like. But, I do know that for some people, the list sets them free, and it really takes a load off--just having that done makes them able to dig in and make it work. I get kind of overwhelmed by the lists myself and find freedom a bit more motivating. 

• Like 2

It actually sounds like you made a lot of progress! Maybe you didn't finish a lot of the academic goals you had for your first year homeschooling but it seems that you transitioned to the lifestyle very well.

My priority would be to finish math. It's very difficult to move to the next year if you didn't finish most of the previous grade. My next priority would be reading and writing (and handwriting especially for your 2nd grader).

I would recommend a box type curriculum that you can tweak as needed. Sonlight may not exactly fit your style but it has quality literature and the most organized Instructor Guide I have ever used (and I've used a lot over the past 15 years :0).

I think you accomplished more than you realize. Your children have a love for learning and that is more important than any other goal, IMHO.

Good luck!

Elise in NC

• Like 2

Wow- we did a similar move to a new state and began homeschooling this year, however homeschooling was my sole job and my husband has been home more than ever before- abs I still felt like we barely muddled through! The fact that your kids are still happy - that's half the battle:-) For us it was months of missing friends, adjusting to mom as teacher, and just recently their rejection of a fully classical education (please mom, can't we do something creative??)

No advice, but just wanted to say kudos for handling so much In your first year!

• Like 3

Wow! Thank you for your thoughtful, encouraging replies. I've really been struggling with this, and your comments have allowed me to breathe easier.

I haven't figured out how to quote/multi-quote yet - and my iPad isn't letting me use emoticons - so bear with me and trust that there are smiley-faces in here ;-) And I'm cringing before I post - it's long! *cringe*

Thank you all for reminding me of all the things we DID accomplish, and the obstacles we DIDN'T have to face. The transition has been relatively easy in that regard - the kids were onboard with homeschool from the get-go. It probably helped that it was a family decision that we discussed and planned for a good 6 months before implementing.

To your questions - unfortunately, my husband's work will continue to be a challenge this year. It's just the nature of what he does. So definitely, suggestions for 'open and go' and independent study would be welcome. Speedmom, do you have any box-type recommendations aside from Sonlight?

My eldest LOVES to work independently. She has always been a great student and a self-starter. In fact, she prefers that I don't 'teach' her...I could very easily set her up with something like Homeschool Planet and let her run with it. In fact, I know that would be her preference. She'll basically do anything I set up for her, and loves to have a list of things to work through and has started to get into independent research in a big way. She's likely working at a grade 7 or above level, but does have some skill-building to do (report writing etc.). I've recently started her on WWS and she seems to like it. She enjoys pretty much all subjects and can concentrate for long periods when she's engaged in something.

My youngest is another story. He has just started to work alone from time to time...he much prefers that we work together and adores read-alouds, as do I :-))) He LOVES history, historical fiction, science fiction and although he is a very reluctant writer (like many boys), he has a great vocabulary and imagination, and I've enjoyed being his scribe as needed. He does need some solid attention on handwriting (you hit the nail on the head, speedmom4!), and basic math facts (we used Teaching Textbooks this year and IMO it does a horrible job of getting those critical facts established).

Here's what we loved this year:

SOTW - Ancients

Teaching Textbooks (qualifier - I don't like it, but the kids do and they get it done without complaint)

Life of Fred (Just for fun - DS devours them)

Reading - I did choose some books around our history topics and other areas of interest - the rest were things that struck our fancy, or were from authors we enjoyed...no real method to the madness ;-)

Explode the Code: It was okay - fun, easy work for DS

Printing Power - again, just okay - we took it easy on writing....DS is just to the point where he will write on his own, and I'm not pushing it as it was a battle royale ;-)

What we didn't love:

WWE and FLL both fell flat....

Wordly Wise - both kids much prefer learning vocab through reading and lots of conversation - I agree with them

Mr. Q Science (qualifier - it's actually pretty good, but we all struggled with the e-book format and never got around to getting it printed)

I should clarify my thoughts on Sonlight/Bookshark - my main interest is in the History with Reading component. I am convinced that a living books approach is right for us (and is something I would enjoy teaching), but the thought of getting all those books, managing when they're needed and organizing the pace of the reading across the year makes my head spin...so having everything show up in a package with a plan to work through seems like a great deal. It would also be something I could literally place in DDs hands and she would take off with it.

For next year, I've chosen the Wayfarers Ancient History plan from the Barefoot Ragamuffin Curriculum (BRC). I am planning to go back to the beginning of the Ancient's cycle and cover the periods we skipped. (Good idea? Bad idea? Should we move on to Middle Ages?). Wayfarers is kind of a hybrid of classical, CM - 4 year history cycles (but little historical fiction), literature rich and comprehensive. BRC also publishes LA curriculum - English Lessons Through Literature for DS (grammar, copywork, writing) and Reading Lessons Through Literature (spelling) for DS. I'm 'thinking' about Spelling Power for DD who is an excellent speller already and could use a good challenge. I 'think' I'll continue using WWS for her, but I'm on the fence - ELTL is much more comprehensive and ties the grammar into the books on the reading list...and it would keep both kids in the same curriculum family, making it a bit easier for mom. Wayfarers Ancients plans Botany for this cycle and includes book recs for both children at their respective grade level.

My main concern with this program (which I really really love and so hope I can make it work) is the whole 'getting of the resources' thing. I know it's just a question of organization, but it intimidates the heck out of me....hence the Bookshark/Sonlight crush....maybe I just need to manage my time better than I do at present ;-) We do have a fantastic local library, so seriously, it shouldn't be so tough.

I will definitely have us finish math, continue to work on writing and reading lots of books this summer...it does sound like a plan, doesn't it? ;-) All of us will benefit from the break, and I will enjoy the opportunity to have a solid plan in place for the coming year....

I realize I've put a lot here yet again - I am open to comments and suggestions, and so very appreciative of the generosity of people on these boards!

Depending on the amount of time you have versus the amount of money, you might consider buying books instead of getting them from the library. It's nice for me to have the, all ready at the beginning of the year and to not have to request me, go get them, wait for me, etc. Just a thought.

• Like 1

It sounds as if you are trying to get an awful lot of different subjects done.  If you don't quite feel as if you have a handle on home educating, I would suggest paring right back to the basics.  For us, with children of a similar age to you, it was English, maths and PE.  Everything else could be a stack of library books to read or read aloud.

• Like 6

It sounds as if you are trying to get an awful lot of different subjects done. If you don't quite feel as if you have a handle on home educating, I would suggest paring right back to the basics. For us, with children of a similar age to you, it was English, maths and PE. Everything else could be a stack of library books to read or read aloud.

Hmmm.... I really hadn't thought about that....prior to homeschool, DCs attended a wonderful private school that was quite rigorous academically, so we're all used to (and enjoy!) a pretty robust course of study. Here is what we do (or have planned to do) currently....

English Language Arts (reading, writing, spelling)

French Language Arts (outsourced - note, we are bilingual and both DCs been educated in both languages since birth)

Math

History

Science

PE (outsourced)

Music (outsourced)

Art (outsourced)

We do a lot of science and history through library books, documentaries and DVDs. DCs (especially DD) love doing experiments and often research and do them on their own....but I realize I've been discounting much of that as it's not structured....maybe I need to relax my thinking a bit...

As mentioned, DD really is a self starter. I'm wondering if I just need to put her on a kind of 'auto-pilot' and invest more time in DS's basics (writing and math).

Depending on the amount of time you have versus the amount of money, you might consider buying books instead of getting them from the library. It's nice for me to have the, all ready at the beginning of the year and to not have to request me, go get them, wait for me, etc. Just a thought.

This is what I've been wrestling with....do you buy yours individually, or in a set (i.e. a reading/lit package from a boxed curric)?

Hmmm.... I really hadn't thought about that....prior to homeschool, DCs attended a wonderful private school that was quite rigorous academically, so we're all used to (and enjoy!) a pretty robust course of study. Here is what we do (or have planned to do) currently....

English Language Arts (reading, writing, spelling)

French Language Arts (outsourced - note, we are bilingual and both DCs been educated in both languages since birth)

Math

History

Science

PE (outsourced)

Music (outsourced)

Art (outsourced)

We do a lot of science and history through library books, documentaries and DVDs. DCs (especially DD) love doing experiments and often research and do them on their own....but I realize I've been discounting much of that as it's not structured....maybe I need to relax my thinking a bit...

As mentioned, DD really is a self starter. I'm wondering if I just need to put her on a kind of 'auto-pilot' and invest more time in DS's basics (writing and math).

That does sound like a lot as a starter-package.  We certainly ended up with a very full and rigorous curriculum, and the boys were very well prepared when they entered private school seven years later, but it takes a while to find a balance, and there's no rush to be super-rigorous at the beginning.

There's also no need to get through subjects other than English and maths in a year.  For example, we did Story of the World over six years, following some great rabbit trails (we took a year out to study China, where we were living at the time) and enjoying various supplements.  I don't think that the learning would have been better if we had tried to meet some year-based deadline.

Just some ideas.....

• Like 2

That does sound like a lot as a starter-package. We certainly ended up with a very full and rigorous curriculum, and the boys were very well prepared when they entered private school seven years later, but it takes a while to find a balance, and there's no rush to be super-rigorous at the beginning.

There's also no need to get through subjects other than English and maths in a year. For example, we did Story of the World over six years, following some great rabbit trails (we took a year out to study China, where we were living at the time) and enjoying various supplements. I don't think that the learning would have been better if we had tried to meet some year-based deadline.

Just some ideas.....

Goodness, it sounds like you and your family had a beautiful experience homeschooling.... I have definitely been feeling the pressure (self-imposed as I'm making a lot of assumptions as to where we 'should' be, and so wanting to 'get it right'). I'm really encouraged by the long trek you took through SOTW and world history...we all like to go deep with history and rabbit trails are so exciting...

I think I need to relax a lot, deschool a lot and allow time for things to unfold and take shape. It's all so new....

Your ideas are good ones, Laura!

• Like 1

If the only reason you're doing another year of ancients is guilt, not interest, MOVE ON.  The middle ages are AWESOME with the age your oldest is coming to.  She'll love it.  

I think finding your groove with structures and materials that work for you is actually more important than what you're studying.  Since your oldest wants to be independent, you REALLY want to facilitate that.

As far as year-round, that's pretty common, so don't be embarrassed about it!  You can do a lighter mix or do just LA, math, and a catch-up subject in the summer.  Make it what you want.  I used to hit art and science in the summer because we weren't necessarily getting to it during the year.  Do what works for your family.

That's a big load, to have a husband out a lot, work your own job, AND run your homeschooling and home!  You might want to look at prospective curricula in terms of what makes that easier, what things give you structure.  It sounds like you're frustrated by needing to spend large amounts of time planning, so that would be a good thing to invest in  since it's something that helps you AND the dc.

You sound like you're working hard.  Keep going!  It will go by very quickly.  Right now you're feeling elementary, but in two years you'll be thinking about preparing for high school.  Whew!  :)

• Like 6

Welcome :). Something I learned in my first years of homeschooli is that skills always trump content. When in doubt about priorities and what needs to be done, skills first, content a distant second :). Math and LA, then everything else. Go ahead and be OK with the fact that history didn't get 'done' that's totally fine. And normal. ;)

If you'd like to check out some independent options for math, CLE is very good and has a lot of built in fact work.

• Like 4

This is what I've been wrestling with....do you buy yours individually, or in a set (i.e. a reading/lit package from a boxed curric)?

Sorry for all the random "mes" in my original post...iPad must have inserted them! As for buying them, I would love to buy a set, but as I am a book hoarder and had been picking up random ones used over the years I haven't done that. Rifling through consignment store and thrift store used books has been a hobby of mine :) Otherwise, I just buy the ones I need individually. If I didn't already have a collection I'd buy the whole set though. It's SO much easier. I've never done Sonlight or anything like that either though.

This post is long, so I do want to say at the outset that I'm looking for guidance and suggestions to make our second (and future) HS years better than year #1. I would also like to hear thoughts about where we go for the balance of this year...we're maybe 50% through what I planned for the year - we made progress in many unplanned areas,

50% in planned areas + X% in unplanned areas for elementary aged kids = you may be a few months behind where you planned to be at worst.  Not bad. You seem t be willing to do some during the summer, so all in all it sounds pretty close to being able to eat the whole enchilada to me.

but I am worried by how much was NOT done this year :-(

Specifically, what are those things? Did a child miss critical skill in math?  A specific skill or set of skills is writing?  Basic Phonics and/or reading comprehension?  OK, you can prioritize those and get them mastered and let non essentials like history and science go for now or do them as family read alouds.

We do intend to continue - I really believe it can work and that it's the right fit for our family. I just need to do a better job of it, and could use help determining what 'a better job' looks like. Feel free to ask questions if what I post sounds muddled...For reference, DCs are Grade 2 and Grade 5 this year. Both are bright and enjoy learning....which makes it all the more worrisome for me as both kids could easily be much further along than they are - and I feel I am solely responsible for our delays. This has badly overwhelmed me....

Sounds to me like you have a couple of very good candidates to start teaching some independent learning skills. The oldest can do some assigned reading, maybe a classic or two from Ancient Greece (Iliad and Odyssey) and Egypt (Cat of Busastese or something like that) and China this summer.  Or you can do  it as a lunch time or bedtime read aloud.  Or get a recording and listen to it in the hot afternoons or in the car.  Just hit a few highlights of ancient literature and call it good.

Everything I've read and heard tells me that the first year of homeschooling is tough...and ours was certainly no exception. On top of 'normal' newbie issues, we had some major life events that disrupted and distracted, and DH's work was such that I more or less

1. single-parented for much of the year

That's major.

2. while running our growing business.

My husband has done that.  That's major. 

3. We got off to a rough start, moving to a new city in August,

That's major.

4. joining (then leaving) a Charter ISP that all of us found unhelpful and restrictive.

That's major.

5. My curriculum choices were rushed and honestly, I really didn't know what I was supposed to be doing.

So to sum up, in spite of being a newbie and single parenting, working, moving, changing educational environments, and  making quick curriculum decisions, you managed (I'm going to copy and paste here so we don't have to look up post)

"50% in planned areas + X% in unplanned areas for elementary aged kids means+ you may be a few months behind where you planned to be at worst.  Not bad. You seem to be willing to do some during the summer, so all in all it sounds pretty close to the whole enchilada to me. "

You may be worried about your abilities, but honey, I certainly am not.  You're not just going to be OK, when things calm down you're doing to do really, really  well.

I've spent the better part of the year researching, reading and learning about different HSing methods, philosophies etc - I am very clear on the direction I would like us to take (Classical, Lit-based, strong history focus - and aligned with the views expressed by Circe-types) and am comfortable with that style and approach....it's also a good fit for the kids. But I'm finding it so challenging personally to get there when starting from ground zero (the scheduling, planning, book-getting...all while mom-ing, wife-ing and working!).

I take the summer off so I can plan and prep the entire year and have each week's assignments for each kid copied and prepped and put in that week's hanging file folder and list it in my master plan for each and every subject.   I have 36 hanging file folders for the year.  That way I don't do any planning at all on weekends or evenings during the school year.  It's all ready to go.  Now, I over plan because no one can accurately predict the future, so I have in mind which things are the most important and which I can skip when life happens and I have to stick to just the essentials.

So I guess in practical terms I'm wondering, what do I do from here? We will not have finished the grade level materials by the 'end' of this year - do we just stop, recalibrate and start fresh in a couple of months? Do I bust out the new materials I finally settled on?

What makes for the smoother transition?  If they need some essential skills down before they can start the new curriculum, I'd get it clear in my head which skills in particular those are and then pull out the assignments directly related to those in the old curriculum and ignore the rest. That's what I'd spend my instruction time on.  My read aloud time (I do that a lot)  would focus on literature related to Ancient History and maybe an interesting non-fiction books or two.  I'd hit the highlights from each region as I posted up thread.

Or, do I wave the white flag and purchase a boxed curric for year 2 to let us catch our breath? Bookshark is looking attractive...despite the fact I've already purchased materials to help us carry on from where we are. I'm worried that even the 'extra' time and effort of pulling together resources will sink me at this point.

My suggestion is to work with what you have if you can.  Is there anything that you already have that makes sense and is workable for the rest of this year?  What skills in each subject does each kid need most?  Does what you have address those or most of them? Then use it up as much as you can.  Is the curriculum that you have busy work or a review of what your kids have already mastered? Is it ineffective with your kids?  Then switch.

I think as intense as your year has been you should consider a complete break for at least a little while and then very light schooling in essentials to catch up if you need to keep schooling year round.

In practical terms, we could comfortably finish Math by mid-July (it would feel good to finish something!). We could read some great books and continue improving writing skills during that time. The kids are doing an 8 week course at a local zoo for science...so all is not lost. I'm just a little freaked out ;-) Simply sharing it here has helped...

That sounds like a very enriching and educational summer.

ETA - while it's probably obvious from our uneven progress, we've mostly been practicing a 'do the next thing' approach. I'm a box-checker and would like to have some sort of planner in place...

I suggest reading old threads on planning (there will be new ones popping up soon) and considering how do the next things has worked and if planning some or all of next year might be a better option.

Thank you for your patience if you've made it this far - any guidance (and encouragement for those who've walked this road longer than me) would be appreciated!

• Like 3

A very busy few days, but I've been mulling over all of the wise words shared here...the input has helped me see things differently, and feel a lot more comfortable with where we are, and how to move forward - a vast improvement over last week!  ;)

First - we are taking a short break from the manic 'trying to get it done' mode I've been in.  Mom is backing off to get some perspective and the kids...lots of reading, some art and music for fun, and we'll work on French homework for a short period daily.  I've scaled back extracurricular activities for the month of May as DH is away from the middle of the month until beginning of June...and we're pooped, so it's good timing.  No complaints from the kiddos :hurray: While DH is away, we'll keep it really light, and concentrate on completing the science assignment from the zoo program....includes some fun outdoor stuff...

Second - If we scale back on things that can wait and attack the critical pieces more strategically, it is more than workable for us to finish Math by the middle of June tops while we continue with a relaxed LA schedule, using the materials we have on hand NOW and saving the others for later.  We'll stick with TT, but I will condense the lessons to weed out all of the incredibly slow spiralling that IMO amounts to a lot of busy-work for the kids.  We (and they) will continue to read a lot...DD is on a Classic Starts bender at the moment...it's below her reading level but she enjoys them and I'm fine with that for now.

Third - A common thread in your replies made so much sense to me....focus on the basics, elminiate the fluff and focus on skills.  Summer will be light but focused...LA (handwriting for DS, composition for DD, reading), some light math (and some math remediation for DS) and some history reading that we didn't get to so we can finish off the Ancients and move on to the middle ages.

I will use the summer time to plan the year...and I may take a page out of Homeschool Mom in AZ's book and set up all the files in advance.  The kids are good with that type of approach and it will certainly help me going forward...our schedules get very very wacky, and that's not something that is going to change, so I'd best be prepared and stop deluding myself that I'll have time (and energy) weekly, monthly etc. to tend this particular task.

I'll check the planning threads as you suggest....I'm very intrigued by the notion of 'once a year planning'.  This is something that would likely be an immense help for us if I could pull it off.  If I might ask, do you use a set curriculum that allows you to pull out all of the worksheets for the files, or ???  Do you prepare assignment sheets for the respective weeks?  I'm curious about the 'how's....

Very grateful for everyone's kindness and patient, positive direction. 

• Like 4

Just a couple of thoughts:  

1. Take at least a few weeks break for yourself this summer to plan.  FYI, while we are on breaks, reading (assigned and free), foreign language and music practice still happen.  I would try to establish these areas as constants so there aren't unpleasant surprises later. 

2. You have a lot on your plate.  The subjects that must happen in my home school, regardless of the burdens RL imposes, are math and writing.  particularly for your older child, prioritize these over content areas.  Some board members here do not even use any formal curriculum for content areas until high school and have kids who've gone on to study these areas at a high level in college (hi 8!) so IMO prioritizing skill areas is important.  

3. One box curriculum I've not seen mentioned that IMO is very user-friendly and well-regarded is Calvert.  There is also a huge amount of teacher support in Calvert that you can use as you make the transition to handling more yourself.  

If I had a do-over with my eldest, who started home schooling in 7th grade, it would be to drop many of the extras, like vocabulary, Latin, spelling (he didn't need this in middle school anyway), and spend waaay more time on skill-building his weakest area: writing.  We never conquered this beast (he hated it of course which made it even more challenging) and he's paid for my lack of focus.  

But I want to also echo others who've pointed out how successful you HAVE been in a challenging transition year.  Hang in there!  You can do it!

• Like 1

First off, I would give yourself a huge pat on the back for accomplishing all you did and having what I would call a successful homeschool year. We are in our second year and moved across the country mid-year and are "behind" on a few things too. I am a history lover and find that I often get behind because I want grand lessons and postpone until I can get to them or get to the library or craft store.

As for summer, you can end and start whenever you want. I would try to finish the math book most of all. My oldest already knows he has to do math lessons a few days a week in the summer. Or, you can plow through till mid-July and then start again after Labor Day. I would not worry about continuing through the summer with content subjects unless it is pure fun, only skill subjects you feel you are behind in.

I understand the appeal of Sonlight. Would you do the same track for both? I wonder if Veritas Press or My Father's World would be a better fit for you if you want it all laid out. Not as familiar with VP, but you can have both children together in the same period of history. I think Sonlight only has a three grade range. MFW is completely laid out with lesson plans so that it is truly open and go. You can add extras if you want, but it is complete on its own. It includes the books so you don't have to worry too much about the library. It just seems like it may give you the guidance and planning you need this year until you get a little more comfortable with the process. It ties in the literature, vocabulary, art, Bible and everything for you. You add language arts, math and a potential foreign language.

I use SOTW, and I do make lesson plans at the beginning of the year with book lists, art and literature projects. Then I tweak from there. It sounds like that level of planning is too intensive for you right now. I understand the desire for living books, but whatever you decide has to be doable. The best plans are inferior if they are not practical for the stage of life you are in.

I also find that setting aside a block of time every six weeks to look ahead helps me implement plans better. I try to take a look on the weekend and write out our weekly schedule knowing what our days will look like. Donna Young has some great planners for this that help me tremendously.

But don't drag the year out too much into the summer. As long as you met state requirements, chalk it up as a transition year and give yourself a mental break to start fresh in the new year.

• Like 1

First off, I would give yourself a huge pat on the back for accomplishing all you did and having what I would call a successful homeschool year. We are in our second year and moved across the country mid-year and are "behind" on a few things too. I am a history lover and find that I often get behind because I want grand lessons and postpone until I can get to them or get to the library or craft store.

As for summer, you can end and start whenever you want. I would try to finish the math book most of all. My oldest already knows he has to do math lessons a few days a week in the summer. Or, you can plow through till mid-July and then start again after Labor Day. I would not worry about continuing through the summer with content subjects unless it is pure fun, only skill subjects you feel you are behind in.

I understand the appeal of Sonlight. Would you do the same track for both? I wonder if Veritas Press or My Father's World would be a better fit for you if you want it all laid out. Not as familiar with VP, but you can have both children together in the same period of history. I think Sonlight only has a three grade range. MFW is completely laid out with lesson plans so that it is truly open and go. You can add extras if you want, but it is complete on its own. It includes the books so you don't have to worry too much about the library. It just seems like it may give you the guidance and planning you need this year until you get a little more comfortable with the process. It ties in the literature, vocabulary, art, Bible and everything for you. You add language arts, math and a potential foreign language.

I use SOTW, and I do make lesson plans at the beginning of the year with book lists, art and literature projects. Then I tweak from there. It sounds like that level of planning is too intensive for you right now. I understand the desire for living books, but whatever you decide has to be doable. The best plans are inferior if they are not practical for the stage of life you are in.

I also find that setting aside a block of time every six weeks to look ahead helps me implement plans better. I try to take a look on the weekend and write out our weekly schedule knowing what our days will look like. Donna Young has some great planners for this that help me tremendously.

But don't drag the year out too much into the summer. As long as you met state requirements, chalk it up as a transition year and give yourself a mental break to start fresh in the new year.

I'm like you when it comes to history - I love it and would adore a deep history study of my own.  DS is like me and loves to go deep...DD is a bit less passionate...

As for having them both on the same track (I assume you mean for history? I'd add possibly science) - ideally I'd like to do that, if only for my own sanity....

I've read good things about MFW, but I need something that I can secularize a bit more easily (hence the thoughts of Bookshark).  Will check out Veritas Press and possibly Memoria Press...the curriculum I selected to move on to next - Wayfarers - is a complete lesson plan (which will require tweaking, but everything's planned out.  It does require me to gather other materials, and at this stage I'm feeling like I just want it to all show up ready to go...but as other posters pointed out up-thread, getting everything in a box doesn't mean we'll like the curriculum either  :001_unsure:

So yes - transition year, to be sure.  We've met state requirements for the year (we're in CA so it's not complicated), I'm definitely relieved to hear from you and others that I've done alright all the same....we'll motor through our math, continue with LA etc., and look forward to smoother sailing ahead.   ;)  

This post is long, so I do want to say at the outset that I'm looking for guidance and suggestions to make our second (and future) HS years better than year #1. I would also like to hear thoughts about where we go for the balance of this year...we're maybe 50% through what I planned for the year - we made progress in many unplanned areas, but I am worried by how much was NOT done this year :-(

Everything I've read and heard tells me that the first year of homeschooling is tough...and ours was certainly no exception. On top of 'normal' newbie issues, we had some major life events that disrupted and distracted, and DH's work was such that I more or less single-parented for much of the year...while running our growing business. We got off to a rough start, moving to a new city in August, joining (then leaving) a Charter ISP that all of us found unhelpful and restrictive. My curriculum choices were rushed and honestly, I really didn't know what I was supposed to be doing.

In hindsight, I wish that I had read (and followed) advice that SWB gave in an interview this year - first year homeschoolers should definitely consider 'school in a box' for the first year, just to get used to the reality of being at home together, get into the swing of homeschooling, etc. How I wish our ES would have recommended something - anything - for a set curriculum...I went in blind and more ignorant than I would have imagined. We ended up switching things around more than a few times and didn't get much traction in areas other than math and history. Even there, we're about 50% through our math curriculum, and we have shamelessly allowed ourselves to get stuck in Rome for the past 7 months....and we skipped Greece and Egypt to get there...

It sounds like it actually went quite well for a first HS year. And don't spend too much time regretting not having a boxed curriculum, I did do that for my first year and learned that it is totally not for us since my son was mostly "ahead" or "behind" everything in the box with practically nothing fitting him as is.

I also would count the Rome study as a success even if it was not what you intended. Spending a school year on study of Rome is fine. You can do an overview of ancient history next year if you like, or you can concentrate on something else, say ancient Greece, if you like.  My ds greatly enjoyed the SOTW audio books and we listened to them at first during a summer when in the car, which could be something you do for a basic overview too. And then you could explore narrower areas in more detail later.

Since your children are okay still and do well with the structure, I'd give yourself a short time off because you need it (maybe with just reading and audio books or something like for them that they do not need you for, or some fun but educational documentary films during your break), and then do math daily (since it is behind and also tends to be easily forgotten) over the summer, plus some reading or other LA as you and they wish.  The science camp sounds good and could be another time when you can have a break.

Is your math program a good fit for them? You may have to adjust that in some way so that they are not staying with only 50% done each year. Maybe some other program, or more time per day on it, or something.

I have found that my theoretical ideas of great programs (maybe things like circe) have to take a back seat to the realities of our life situation, in which we need programs that work for us as "Do the next thing" because that is, in reality, the way our HS works.  And for us "get er done" materials that get done are better than something that is theoretically possibly better but can not get done.

That said, we do have a strong history and literature program for our HS as a get er done approach, not by following a curriculum, but just by letting one book and genre lead to another and because the background gained by having listened to all of SOTW over and over (in 3rd to 4th grade for ds), plus many history related documentaries and audio books have led to a strong history background.

Three HS families I know have run businesses and involving the children in that (learning to do real record keeping, and real running of the business in various ways, or even just properly answering a phone for a business) has been an invaluable piece of the children's education that, IMO and IME, cannot be equalled with theoretical ideas, books etc. about  business. If you can use that part of your life as part of what your children are also learning about it could be a great boost for them while also maybe a help to you.

• Like 2

I'll check the planning threads as you suggest....I'm very intrigued by the notion of 'once a year planning'.  This is something that would likely be an immense help for us if I could pull it off.  If I might ask, do you use a set curriculum that allows you to pull out all of the worksheets for the files, or ???  Do you prepare assignment sheets for the respective weeks?  I'm curious about the 'how's....

n/m

As for needing to repeat Ancients? Really, I think it's perfectly acceptable to move on. There are several chapters in SOTW3 that we just will not get to by the end of the year. Ds will still move on to SOTW4. My goal for grammar stage is always exposure. If you continue on with the four year rotation, you'll be back this way again. And even if you don't? The kids will probably end up this way again.

If you love Ancients, and it's a huge interest, then certainly, feel free to continue, but don't feel like you *have* to.

• Like 1

Also, keep in mind the difference between skills based subjects and content based subjects.  In skills based subjects children really need to master one skill before moving on to the next skill.  It's like building a building.  You can't build on a foundation that isn't solid because it messes up the framing.  You can't put drywall and windows in if the framing isn't correctly in place.  Subjects like phonics, handwriting, writing and arithmetic are skills based and are often good candidates for a "do the next thing" or work at your own pace, at least in the foundational years.  You will need to keep in mind that if you want a kid to take an SAT type test at a certain time, then certain skills have to mastered before the test so you may need to transition out of "do the next thing" and work at your own pace as they get older in one or more of those subjects if you prefer that approach now. 

History and science are usually viewed as content subjects, at least before high school.  I've never met anyone who insisted their child master the ins and outs of Tzarist Russia or the Byzantine Empire. Exposure is really the goal.  Most people are likely to focus in more on their national history though.  There may be some things they do want their child master about national history, but World History is usually exposure. Now I have been known to drop chapters in medieval India and early modern New Zealand because we adopted the youngest from S. Korea so we spend more time in Korean history than other people do because it's so relevant to her. As Americans, we're going to spend more time and attention on the American History parts of SOTW than the boardies here from England, Scotland, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Canadian, and other parts of the globe. That kind of thing will factor in when planning.

• Like 2