Menu

How to stop a reckless driver in the neighborhood?

Plateau Mama

So our neighborhood is at our wits end. There is a teen driver that is nonstop reckless. He just got a BMW M5 (read fast, fast car, his previous car wasn't a slow car but this is a step up). He races thru the neighborhood, taunts other drivers by going into their lane and essentially playing chicken with them, tailgates, goes around drivers in blind spots, the list goes on and on.

We've called the polices, the police have talked to the parents. The parents say the neighborhood is picking on him. We've contacted the homeowners (they are renters), neighbors have talked to the parents, neighbors have talked to the kid. In fact yesterday the kid was mouthing off to a couple and the lady told him to slow down. He laughed at her and floored it out of the neighborhood.

The scariest part of this whole thing is he is seen doing this stuff, almost every day, near the elementary school as it gets out.

The polices say to keep informing them, every single time, but they can't do anything until they witness it themselves. This has been going on for about a year.

I would tell the police the times that this is likely to happen so that they can be in the neighborhood to catch him.  Yes.  Keep reporting him.  Be the squeaky wheel until they decide to do something about it.  This kid should not have access to a car since he obviously does not understand that driving is a privilege, not a right. 

• Like 13

In my old neighborhood, we faced this with a driver (not sure if it was a teen)....and the cops just parked in one of the side streets.  I believe the guy got three tickets in three days before he learned his lesson. 

You could also talk to the city about installing speed bumps, especially if there's an elementary school nearby.  Looks like there are temporary ones too https://www.trafficsafetystore.com/speed-bumps-humps

It sounds like the parents are part of the problem.  sigh.

What about whomever the home owner is? 

• Like 5

Would you consider writing a letter to the parents, signed by you or multiple neighbors, telling them about what has been observed, informing them that you are documenting all events, and letting them know that when an inevitable accident occurs and they are sued (which they likely will be), you will have a record that they were aware of his negligent driving? Keep it factual and polite. Send it certified mail.

This won't slow the kid down, but will hopefully make the parents think about the liability they might face, so that they will actually care about risk to their own pocketbook even if they don't seem to care about the risk he presents to human life.

• Like 20

We are trying to get a video. The police are aware of the times and last year the did come out a couple days but of course he wasn't there.

As for speed bumps there are speed bumps in front of the school and the kid does not care.

We've talked to the parents, the police have talked to the parents, a letter won't help. They. Just. Don't. Care. The HOA has contacted the homeowner. they don't care.

We really are trying to get the police to patrol more frequently but so far haven't had any luck. :-(

• Like 2

We are trying to get a video. The police are aware of the times and last year the did come out a couple days but of course he wasn't there.

As for speed bumps there are speed bumps in front of the school and the kid does not care.

We've talked to the parents, the police have talked to the parents, a letter won't help. They. Just. Don't. Care. The HOA has contacted the homeowner. they don't care.

We really are trying to get the police to patrol more frequently but so far haven't had any luck. :-(

Our HOA would hold the owner liable for the behavior of his renters.  Maybe if the homeowner were made aware of that (if it's in the Bylaws) he might start caring.

~coffee~

• Like 5

I would report the behavior to the police EVERY SINGLE TIME it happens. Even if it happens multiple times a day.  I would even convince all the neighbors to do the same thing.  Specifically having multiple people reporting the same incident.  Keep a notebook of how many times it gets reported and if the cops continue to ignore the MANY reports take it to the local media.  The parents of the kid are not the one to report to every single time, it is the police departments responsibility to take this seriously.

• Like 13

Torches and pitchforks?

;)

Agreeing with others: take video and call every time. If there is any sort of pattern at all type it up and turn it in.

Ha! The first thing that came to my mind was tacks or nails! ;)

I agree with the video recording advice. And if you know the general time frame during which the offenses happen, request that police monitor the area during that time.

• Like 3

I would report the behavior to the police EVERY SINGLE TIME it happens. Even if it happens multiple times a day.  I would even convince all the neighbors to do the same thing.  Specifically having multiple people reporting the same incident.  Keep a notebook of how many times it gets reported and if the cops continue to ignore the MANY reports take it to the local media.  The parents of the kid are not the one to report to every single time, it is the police departments responsibility to take this seriously.

We did this with the drunken "frat boys" who used to live in our neighborhood.  In fact, it was a great community building activity!  We had a phone tree and when they would start drinking and setting off illegal fireworks etc. we would take turns calling so that the police would get multiple calls about each instance.  It made it much less easy for them to brush off as one neighbor having a grudge against them or something of that nature.  

• Like 14

Buy one of those spike strips that police put down to stop car chases, and put it at the bottom of his driveway. (Just joking, because I assume that would be illegal, but ....)

That was my idea, too!

The school's resource officer should be coordinating with the police if it's endangering the students. If no resource officer, then the principal.

Does this teen drive to school?  Maybe the elementary principal or someone else needs to inform his school so that their security people can also watch for him in the student parking area before and after school.

• Like 3

If you could get video, perhaps you could contact local media? Present them with the information, including the video, and let them know the police will do nothing?

A local woman turned to social media when the police wouldn't help her after she was groped by a stranger.     Because of this pressure, the police finally investigated and found that the guy is a registered sex offender and now he's back in jail. 

• Like 7

I would take video, take the police up on the calling suggestion, (with a phone tree setup if you can so that they are consistently getting multiple calls for each incident), and if nothing has changed in 30-60 days.......

Contact local media with the mountain of proof that you have amassed.

• Like 1

Get one of these and place it in the road until the police get around to dealing with it. One of the local in-home daycares puts something like this out in the afternoons when traffic picks up near our house.

http://www.amazon.com/Step2-787699-KidAlert-V-W-S/dp/B001R5CJII/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430514379&sr=8-1&keywords=children+at+play+safety+signs

Given the price of the car he is driving it sounds like spoiled brat syndrome which means the parents are very unlikely to bother doing anything about it.

Get a video camera and set up a rotation of neighbors to man it.  Add a phone tree and aim for a minimum of 5 calls to the police each time he tears through the neighborhood.  

• Like 10

If this is all happening within an HOA, and on non-public streets, do the police even have jurisdiction for traffic violations?  I think this may depend on what state you live in.

We had this problem with someone in our neighborhood. One of the residents has an app on his phone which will allow him to measure the speed at which the vehicle is traveling. He measured the speed then posted a screen shot of it on our private FB page. Took care of the problem for us. Perhaps something like that might encourage the police to do something about it.

• Like 1

If this is all happening within an HOA, and on non-public streets, do the police even have jurisdiction for traffic violations?  I think this may depend on what state you live in.

Not all HOA's own their streets. Only one HOA in our town has private streets (and they have a gate). That particular HOA has to pay extra for fire and police protection. The police do not do traffic related issues in there, though. For the rest of the HOAs here, the streets are public streets, not private. With full police and fire protection, coming from our taxes, not HOA fees.

• Like 1

The councilman is a good idea. We haven't tried that yet. The sign wouldn't do a bit of good. He'd probably try to hit it going as fast as he could to see how many pieces it would break into.

We don't know what school he goes to. He doesn't go to our local high school, we are sure of that. I'm pretty sure he's out around the elementary school every day because that is when he gets home.

I will have to look for that app. That would be good to try.

• Like 3

You may be able to go to a judge and swear out a warrant yourself. If you have video or some other evidence that clearly shows speeding/reckless driving, that would help tremendously. I don't know how it works in other places, but here if if a civilian witnesses a crime that the police don't see, the civilian can go to the judge instead of the police officer and give the facts and evidence. Here you have to pay court fees, something like 20 - 50 dollars, but it sounds like your neighborhood would be willing to chip in. Ask an officer if they know the procedure for this (you may have to ask a few to find a knowledgeable one), or call a public line for the courts to ask. 

I would take video, take the police up on the calling suggestion, (with a phone tree setup if you can so that they are consistently getting multiple calls for each incident), and if nothing has changed in 30-60 days.......

Contact local media with the mountain of proof that you have amassed.

I agree, but sadly, by 30-60 days, he'll probably have killed a kid with his behavior. :( 

• Like 2

Given the price of the car he is driving it sounds like spoiled brat syndrome which means the parents are very unlikely to bother doing anything about it.

Get a video camera and set up a rotation of neighbors to man it.  Add a phone tree and aim for a minimum of 5 calls to the police each time he tears through the neighborhood.  

if there's a big enough hit to their pocket book - the parents will do something.

eta: sadly, that may be a lawsuit after he causes an accident.

The councilman is a good idea. We haven't tried that yet. The sign wouldn't do a bit of good. He'd probably try to hit it going as fast as he could to see how many pieces it would break into.

We don't know what school he goes to. He doesn't go to our local high school, we are sure of that. I'm pretty sure he's out around the elementary school every day because that is when he gets home.

I will have to look for that app. That would be good to try.

so - he's coming into the neighborhood around the same time every day?  is he as reckless coming as going?

in addition to EACH AND EVERY one of his reckless driving incidents being reported to the police, (phone tree with *multiple* people calling each time is a good idea) - start keeping a log of "sightings" with time stamps.  hopefully a pattern will emerge of when he's most likely to be around and the police will set up a watch themselves.

and I too thought about tack strips. 

are those " slow- signs" hollow?  can it be filled with cement so it damages HIS car when he deliberately hits it?   (I agree he wouldn't give a rip to it's message.)

Get video. Post online. Tag any near by elementary schools, the police department and possibly the media.

If you can get video of him driving and have a playground, children or a school in the background, it might force action faster.

I would give serious thought to tagging the young man and his parents to apply additional pressure for them to act, but with people sending hate mail and threats for less, I would be hesitant.

so - he's coming into the neighborhood around the same time every day? is he as reckless coming as going?

in addition to EACH AND EVERY one of his reckless driving incidents being reported to the police, (phone tree with *multiple* people calling each time is a good idea) - start keeping a log of "sightings" with time stamps. hopefully a pattern will emerge of when he's most likely to be around and the police will set up a watch themselves.

and I too thought about tack strips.

are those " slow- signs" hollow? can it be filled with cement so it damages HIS car when he deliberately hits it? (I agree he wouldn't give a rip to it's message.)

He always seems to be this reckless. Sightings of his behavior come in spurts, like we haven't heard anything in months, and now they are daily again, well his new car seems to be out of commission at the moment. (Tire missing on wood blocks in his driveway.). He been sighed with this behavior on the two lame interstate, down the hill leaving the city etc.

Someone suggested speed bumps in the road.  They are expensive for the city to put in, and they don't always slow down reckless drivers.  My friend, who has one in front of her house, says teen speeders don't slow down at all.  Instead, they speed up to see if they can get airborne over them.  :glare:

Lots of good suggestions, so I'll add one not mentioned yet:

Get video, put up on youtube, post a link to video on reddit, along with the police contact info.

This is exactly up their alley. Many times wrongs have been righted when redactors started calling PDs about egregious behavior posted on there. 

• Like 1

Can someone follow him to school in the morning, to identify the school?  If he goes to private school, they will want to know about his behavior, and likely discipline him for it, as a serious accident will reflect badly on the school (as well as the obvious concern for the lives of others).

• Like 1

Nails? Seriously that's my suggestion. This guy needs to be stopped.

On another note, this reminds me of a Modern Family episode...

If it is truly a serious suggestion I hope that no one actually takes it seriously.  Not only is it wrong and would get the OP and anyone who did it legitimately in trouble with the law, but it is dangerous.  If he has a tire blow when he's driving fast or erratically he could totally lose control of his car and kill him self or others.  Would you truly want to be even potentially responsible for that?  

• Like 1

I have seen nothing that will work. The reckless kid driver in our neighborhood finally flipped his car and killed his brother. The parents' reaction? They bought him a more expensive, faster, more powerful car with the added feature of a deep bassed radio for it. The plus side, we could feel him coming. (I think they didn't want him to feel bad about killing his brother???) He continued to drive recklessly. The situation was resolved when he left for college and finally moved away.