Menu

Who is using Reading Lessons through Literature and English Lessons Through Literature together?

mindygz

I saw someone mentioned using them both, alternating days. Anyone else? I'm strongly considering them for my rising 1st grader next fall and would like to have an idea of the amount of time required per day. Also, I know I could probably figure this out by looking through the samples/TOCs more, but are the two combined a pretty solid LA lineup? Do you feel the need to add anything else? Also, please share which levels you have used. 

Thank you!

After tons of research, review and helpful exchanges with the curriculum's author, Kathy Jo Devore, I've just purchased both of these for use with my 2nd grader. From what I have learned, used together these curricula will provide a full (and rigorous) LA program (reading, spelling, grammar, memorization, copywork, writing...the works). I love the fact that both are solidly rooted in living books.

From my reading of the samples (which do provide the complete intro and overview to the programs, including tips on placement), your 1st grader would very simply begin with Level 1 in both programs. But I don't know your circumstances or where your DC is in his/her studies, so you might be best to ask Kathy Jo directly - she is always very helpful. Best way to reach her is either FB or the yahoo group - Barefoot Ragamuffins - she responds quickly :-)

In terms of time required per day...not sure, but my recollection of a similar question answered recently puts it in line with 'typical' recommendations for seat work for children of this age and stage.

Hope this helps!

• Like 3

I'm using level 1 of both with my current (slightly advanced) Kindergartner/age 5. I do think it is complete, but we also use ETC workbooks and do additional independent reading and read-alouds as a part of our LA routine. I would say it takes is about 30 minutes or less to do both daily 3-4 times per week. I have her listen to the story/chapter on Librivox while I write out the copy work sentence in her notebook and/or work with my other child. She remains at the table with us listening on headphones while playing with play-dough.

• Like 2

I'm using both with my 2nd and 3rd graders.  We love it!  My girls do their copy work independently, and then I will a lesson with one while the other listens to their reading for the day via librivox, and then I'll alternate.  On the days we don't do ELTL, I just dictate a spelling list.  Right now I'm just having my girls review their phonograms using the LOE phonogram app.  Love this combination!

• Like 2