Menu

How far along are you so far this year?

Where do you estimate you are so far this year?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. What % of your planned curriculum have you covered this year?

• 0-10%
    • 10-25%
    • 25-50%
    • 50-75%
    • 75-100%
    • more than 100% (we can't be friends haha)

On the down slope for the year LAST YEAR, I noticed I was at 100% of all planned curriculum by May 15.  HAHAHA, I laugh at my own circumstances.  I had one middle schooler then, she is super self-motivated and independent.  It was a blast, and things got covered!

This year I added DS to the home school mix, we've had deaths, unexpected extended family visits and such.......and we are just above 50% of what I'd planned.  I'm not worried because of the depth of things we've covered and I feel like they are pretty advanced, anyway.  But still, I'm feeling a bit panicky and may need to extend into the summer.  Except we are moving across the country this summer... ug!!!    It'll all work out I'm sure...(I think LOL)....

How about you?  

I voted 75-100%, but it depends on the kid. Eldest is behind in some things, so she's pretty close to the 75% point with most (supposed to be on Wk 29 of 32, but more like 26-27 of 32). DD#2 & #3 are near to 100% in almost everything - with just a week left before they are on less-than-half-days (down to Memory, Spelling, & Math for the final couple of weeks). DS#1 is behind where I want to be . . . probably closer to 50%. DS#2 doesn't have a plan, but I get to him less than 50% of the time I should...

:grouphug: Every year is different. 

• Like 1

DS in 7th grade has:

9 lessons left in science

20 lessons left in math

19 lessons left in history (which includes 12 lessons set aside to work on a research report)

12 lessons left in literature

Our term is technically over in two weeks, so some of that will not be done by the deadline (which doesn't matter- I have plenty for work samples). We will work until the end of May, then take a break. We will have a "summer term" to do a British poetry unit, outlining practice, Jousting Armadillos, and some history - I'm having him read/outline Human Odyssey 3.

• Like 1

We will finish the week after Memorial Day, it looks like, which is only a few days later than I had originally planned. Some subjects may finish before that. DD and DS1 will each have one subject to pick back up in July before starting next year's work: writing for DD because WWS1 just takes a long time for her, but I want her to finish it and start fresh with WWS2 next year, and DS1's history because he didn't start it until mid-year, but I want him to finish it and Ancients by the end of next school year. But otherwise, we are 75-100% finished with most of our stuff. We haven't done as many science labs as I'd have liked, and we didn't end up getting to our weekly extras day of art, picture study, and composer study as often as I'd have liked, but that is okay. And A Child's Geography -- I wanted to like it, and I do like it, but it just didn't end up fitting in.

• Like 1

We school year-round so I don't have a concept of finished. When we finish something, I just move us on to another thing. We're taking a lot of time off this summer when DD is at sleepaway camps and family vacation, but we take breaks as we need them throughout the year and add stuff as we need them. But, I guess we're over 100% because we've done much more in every subject than I originally thought we would, but it's an organic process for us.

• Like 3

Next week is our last week and then we are on summer break until sometime in August. I had to vote over 100% (sorry!) because we keep adding things so we have enough to do until vacation.

That is so awesome, tho.  I will have one of those years!  Eventually......

We are going to school a month longer than I originally intended and I think we'll be fine.  Then once we move we'll start a light summer schedule as I try to start the transition to year-round.

FFL-last regular lesson is this week, review next week and test. I may spend a few more days on review before the final. (We will move into Second Form Latin for Summer Term.)

Math-Started the next to last light unit this week. We'll be done by early June. (We will just move into the next CLE level for Summer Term since we are working about a grade level behind and I'd like to catch up if we can.)

Grammar and Composition-Done. Started Summer Term, CW Poetry for Beginners this week.

Science-Two weeks left. (Human Body for Summer Term)

History-Two weeks left. (We will then start State History for Summer Term)

We are taking two weeks off at the end of May to rest before Summer Term officially starts, but we got a jump on Poetry. The boys started their summer reading yesterday.

• Like 1

I can't really answer. I mostly just don't think about education that way. When we're covering content, I do have a loose goal for finishing because otherwise we'll just meander and never make it out of one history era to another or from one science topic to another. But I let content be mostly child-led this year. We've finished all the things we started on and then some. We're still in the middle of a unit on comparative religions, but I didn't even know we'd be doing that at the start of the year. In terms of skills I never plan. I mean, I have hopes and general expectations because I want to be ready for the next resource or thing if needed, but to me, spelling, writing, math, reading skills, etc. are just things that we work steadily on nonstop as long as "school" is in. And when we need to stop, we stop - we might wrap up whatever math chapter or writing project we're doing before a long break, but mostly we just stop.

• Like 7

I voted for 50-75 and 75-100. Beyond that it depends on the kid, the subject, and my level of caring when it gets done by. (If the first grader doesn't finish her second grade math book on time I won't even notice.) The first category wouldn't be terribly far under the 75 though. Well past half.

• Like 1

We are depressingly far behind. The boys are done with math. Dd11 is close. The boys have another month of English. The boys will be doing spelling, Latin, and science all summer (3 days/week). Dd will be doing Latin, science, and writing all summer. I completely dropped their history, because they didn't like it. They have learned a lot of history on their own this year, though.

We had a baby this year. She didn't gain weight the first two months, so we had a number of interrupted school days taking her to the doctor or weigh clinic. I have been dealing with a health issue the past few weeks with yet more trips to the doctor. And we were to busy with activities this year.

I will continue on with the things I feel are important. This was not a good year, though. I need next year to be better.

I voted for 75-100%.  I didn't vote for 100% or over, because, well, I have very reasonable expectations for our homeschool.  I have a minimum that needs to get done in the core subjects.  I make sure it's an achievable goal.  Then we add on extra stuff as I feel it's needed.  I'm very flexible at this stage (logic stage).  I know that I'll be more rigid when it comes to high school and giving credit, grades, etc. 

I hate feeling like we're behind and that's how I felt the first two years.  It was always a race to catch up.  Really, the trick is to UNDER plan for the year.  It doesn't mean that you are necessarily gong to do less but you give yourself extra room at the end in case some things take longer than expected.  For example, when we were doing FLL and WWE, we simply did the lessons daily which gave us plenty of extra room.  If I did anywhere from 2-4 lessons per week as suggested we would get behind as soon as we spent more time on one lesson than planned.  This way we always finished and I never feel like we were behind.  In other words, I changed my perspective and that took away the stress of being behind.

With math, I just plan to have math done every day.  Some things we spend less time on and some things we spend more time on so by the end of the year, we get through the curriculum.  But if we don't, I am still satisfied because we did math daily.

Oh, and here's another secret:  I don't count days or weeks any more.  There is no formal requirement in our state but I felt a sense of duty to do this initially.  Instead, I we always start on the Monday of the first full week of August and we go until sometime in May. There is no set end date in May.  I purposefully leave it open ended.  We work diligently throughout our year, taking a few days here and there as necessary, sometimes a week even.  I found that when I was beholden to some arbitrary number, I felt stressed.  So now when we're done with our "plan" for the year, I call it quits, unless it's before May and then we just go on to the next thing.  It works for us in the logic stage.  In one year, when my son enters 8th grade, we will take one or two courses that need to have all the boxes checked off by an end date at the end of the year so we're ready for high school, but I don't feel that's necessary at this point.

• Like 1

I've declared us done except for DD10's online classes and finishing up the last literature selection. However, I'd planned to do AOPS Intro to Algebra over 2 years anyway, and we're changing gears for Latin so in both cases, I just stopped. In general, early May tends to be a good time to try to mostly wind up by-that's performance/competition season for DD, so she's stressed about that, the weather is beautiful, and PS isn't out yet so things aren't crowded.

We'll start our new year June 1, school lightly through the summer around camps (mostly math review-I usually have DD go through Khan academy on the same level of math that she's finished to help make sure she's solid on topics), and then start back fully when online classes pick up in August.

• Like 1

We are at maybe 50% although it really depends on the subject.  We mostly school year round although we are taking the entire month of July off this summer.  My girls are going to do 4 weeks of theater camps but we'll probably still do math in July.

Science (will finish in a couple weeks but I have plans for more stuff to add until we break at the end of June)

History (about half done with VP online but didn't start until Jan- the kids will likely finish sometime this summer)

Math (we are ahead of what I'd hoped for- all the younger kids have completed more than 1 level of MUS this year but I always do math year round or the kids seem to forget stuff)

Language Arts (this is where we are way behind- I will not say how bad it is but we will be doing a lot the next 2 months)

Both my high schoolers are totally done aside from their math textbooks.  

• Like 1

I voted for 75-100%.  I didn't vote for 100% or over, because, well, I have very reasonable expectations for our homeschool.  I have a minimum that needs to get done in the core subjects.  I make sure it's an achievable goal.  Then we add on extra stuff as I feel it's needed.  I'm very flexible at this stage (logic stage).  I know that I'll be more rigid when it comes to high school and giving credit, grades, etc. 

I hate feeling like we're behind and that's how I felt the first two years.  It was always a race to catch up.  Really, the trick is to UNDER plan for the year.  It doesn't mean that you are necessarily gong to do less but you give yourself extra room at the end in case some things take longer than expected.  For example, when we were doing FLL and WWE, we simply did the lessons daily which gave us plenty of extra room.  If I did anywhere from 2-4 lessons per week as suggested we would get behind as soon as we spent more time on one lesson than planned.  This way we always finished and I never feel like we were behind.  In other words, I changed my perspective and that took away the stress of being behind.

With math, I just plan to have math done every day.  Some things we spend less time on and some things we spend more time on so by the end of the year, we get through the curriculum.  But if we don't, I am still satisfied because we did math daily.

Oh, and here's another secret:  I don't count days or weeks any more.  There is no formal requirement in our state but I felt a sense of duty to do this initially.  Instead, I we always start on the Monday of the first full week of August and we go until sometime in May. There is no set end date in May.  I purposefully leave it open ended.  We work diligently throughout our year, taking a few days here and there as necessary, sometimes a week even.  I found that when I was beholden to some arbitrary number, I felt stressed.  So now when we're done with our "plan" for the year, I call it quits, unless it's before May and then we just go on to the next thing.  It works for us in the logic stage.  In one year, when my son enters 8th grade, we will take one or two courses that need to have all the boxes checked off by an end date at the end of the year so we're ready for high school, but I don't feel that's necessary at this point.

I counted days last year and didn't this year because.......why?  Our state is the most relaxed I know of, and they dont' care.  I try to set my gauge on progress, a direction.  My DD spent only 4 months in 8th grade and we advanced her to 9th.  Ok, I'd say she's doing spectacular and working on very advanced material.  DS...well, he's finished decschooling, finally, is advanced in math and just not making me feel like he's made great progress in LA.  The other subjects are learn as we go...although I wish we were further along in our chemistry book.  So some days I panic about the to-do material, and sometimes I think, "We've come a long way this year" ...  since mine were in public school I often think, "they have learned WAY more this year than all of a year in public school" and that does relax me.  I also test yearly just for my sanity and we are about to do that here in May.  Last year they did REALLY good and I"m hopeful for this year.

I'm going to take your advice for next year and underplan, just for me.  I have some great students here and I have to think they are doing just fine!  As long as I don't glance at the to-do pile.........ha!

Next week is our last week and then we are on summer break until sometime in August. I had to vote over 100% (sorry!) because we keep adding things so we have enough to do until vacation.

This is us. I actually had to do a second curriculum order in Feb, because my kids have been blazing through several subjects at a much quicker pace than I expected.

We have had slow years also. The year we dealt with a death I finally just called the year done at the end of May, because we desperately needed a long summer break to recover emotionally.

• Like 1

Depends on the subject and the child. My goal to be finished by is June 6. My 3rd grader will finish before then. My 7th grader will finish everything but Latin and math well before then. If she doubles up on those when she finishes everything else, she will most likely be done. My 10th grader is behind. She has had a lot of health issues this semester. She will be finishing up literature and history in the next couple of weeks, so hopefully she will be feeling well enough and can double time on everything else and be done.

• Like 1

7 school days away from 180 days (May 8), and only two subjects which will take us probably through the 3rd week of May to complete.  I did a rough plan of the remaining curriculum at Christmas break which helped tremendously to keep me on track.  Was aiming to be done by end of May.    Already 1/4 of the way through next year's math.  :)

• Like 1

It depends on the subject, but generally I'd say between 75-100%. We are pretty much on target to finish our current content subjects in early June. Math is a little farther behind than I'd like, but we do that year-round anyway. We started next year's vocabulary early, and will probably be 1/4 of the way through it before the "new" school year starts in August. We will keep plugging away at English, math and music through the summer.

• Like 1

We lost a full week due to dd's flu/pneumonia in February. First year that has ever happened. I just changed the dates on the plan book--essentially doing everything one week later. This dd also has some work ethic issues, so some subjects could go into summer. She can't finish the Lightning Lit workbook pages until she finishes reading All Creatures Great and Small, so that subject is now another week behind and will slip further as I don't think she's halfway done with the book yet. Sigh. My older dd reads so incredibly quickly and loves books. Youngest is a bit more challenging.

Most subjects done by end of May. History, Latin, and possibly Lightning Lit will be going into June.

• Like 1

Three. More. Weeks.

I think I can ... I think I can ... I think I can ...

Just kidding ... mostly!  ;)

We are almost finished with most things, totally done with a few things, and not anywhere close to done with a few other things. I did do some adjustments in the plan mid-year as well. But I feel good about our progress overall.

• Like 1

We will be officially finished on May 15th, but both kids are behind in their math work. My son will be finished by June 1st and my daughter will work through the summer. Our online writing class goes for 2 extra weeks.

• Like 1

We always do "school light" over the summer to cover subjects we need to "catch up" on, but I don't really look at it as catching up, becuase we always know we'll be doing summer school LOL. DS12 will do Geometry and Physical Science over the summer intensively, as he is abuot halfway through both. DS9 will do math and writing. 

Our other subjects will be finished around the middle of June...I hope :)

• Like 1

Shannon is pretty much done with what I wanted her to get through, she just has one more week of Geometry and Big History and 3 more weeks of the Coursera Shakespeare course.  In science we're starting on some of next year's stuff, or adding some reading.  Morgan still needs to do fractions.  They will both continue on with Math and Spanish over the summer, and we'll try and do some science, and some read alouds.  I feel pretty good about where they are at.  Morgan needs to be done by the end of May because she has two weeks of Horse camp in the beginning of June.  Shannon doesn't have anything scheduled this summer till July, so she can meander more.  We had kind of a light April, because Shannon was in a play and had lots of long rehearsals.  That wraps up next weekend. I hope we'll get some good work done in May and finish the year with a bang and not a whimper.

• Like 1

A couple years ago, I decided that Life would be better if DD13 was done with her schoolwork for the year before her older sibs got home from college each spring.  So we double-up and push hard in January and February when the weather is usually terrible anyway.

As a result, she is finished with science, history, and English.  She takes her math final next week, so we are reviewing that (it's a full-year final).  She is doing reading and short-response writing, and all her music.

College kids come home this weekend and as soon as she writes that last math final, we are calling it quits.

I voted 75% - 100% because that was the average of my kids. My eldest daughter is already working on some of next years work. She finished all her subjects and has done extra papers, research and writing projects.

My second dad is about 75% average :)

My son is...well, let's just say we are plugging away, lol

So all in all, and average of 75%

• Like 1

We have six weeks of school left.

1) We are on schedule to finish grammar, spelling, ds1's math, First Form Latin for DS2 and science

2)DD finished her 3rd grade A Beka math last month and is now well into the 4th grade book, she also finished Prima Latina and is now into Latina Christiana

3) we started the boys' history curriculum late, so we probably won't finish it

4) DS2 is slow in math, so he won't be finishing his math, either. I imagine I will have him working in through the summer on it.

5) we won't be finishing SOTW2 for DD. She may be going to b&m school next year, so I'm not sure what I'll do about that.

• Like 1

I voted 75%-100%.  All our online classes are finishing up in the next two weeks.  Core subjects will be finished in that time frame.  We are left with a history intensive (we just didn't get far enough yet) and working on individual weaknesses, which will carry us through the summer.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I voted 50-75% but I'm notorious for over-planning - ha. That said, we continue homeschooling during the summer and DS is going to do an extra year in logic stage, so I'm not worried.

• Like 1