Menu

How to give credit for shop class/welding on transcript?

My oldest son is 14 and going into 9th grade next year. A local business (grandpa's) has a welder who is going on a 5 month mission trip and so they decided to train my son to be their welder. So, he's spending hours there being taught how to weld. How do I put that on his transcript? He's wanting to become an electrician so a 4 year college isn't where he's likely headed, but I know things can change. Regardless, we're preparing him for college just in case. 

I'm using this form to help put his transcript together but since there's no books, I'm not sure how to record the hours for credit.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1HM5-ByQk6C-hUXEVeTBf8TSAGKK60BngyV9ISG7pohE/viewform

Thanks for your help!!! 

Why are you limiting yourself to the categories on that form?  You're a homeschooler, you can do anything you want!  Call it "Industrial Arts" or "Vocational Training" or "Internship" or "Other Elective"

Just count the hours he's at work. A full credit is 120-180 total hours at his job; a half credit is 60-90.  If he spends 10 hours a week for 20 weeks, that's easily a full high school credit. 

Your space for course description is tiny. You can do more than just list a book in your course description if you give yourself room. If you keep the tiny space, list "ABC Welding, Inc." or whatever the business name is as the curriculum.

For "classes" like this, it's easier to write a detailed course description after the fact. For example, with my DD's flute lessons, I ask her once a month or so, "What have you been doing with your flute teacher lately?"  At the end of the school year, I write up what was done as if it were the plan all along.

• Like 2

The problem is not the course, but the very restrictive form you are using that does not leave you a category for electives.

Book titles and ISBNs and hours do not go on a transcript anyway.

I would simply list the course as an elective, call it Welding (or whatever you want) and award credit based on the hours you count.

And I'd think about ditching this strange form and simply compile the transcript in word or excel.

• Like 3

lol Thanks for the tips!! I actually got the form idea from another mom online and it sends the results into an excel spreadsheet. I know it's not all going onto the transcript, but I panicked and felt it was safer to have more info as trying to gather more in the end would be just horrific. haha!

I have NO idea what I'm doing. lol How do you all keep track of information and what info DO you keep? We're using Heart of Dakota so I think that's part of why I'm just not sure how to keep track since there's soooo many books. ;)

lol Thanks for the tips!! I actually got the form idea from another mom online and it sends the results into an excel spreadsheet. I know it's not all going onto the transcript, but I panicked and felt it was safer to have more info as trying to gather more in the end would be just horrific. haha!

I have NO idea what I'm doing. lol How do you all keep track of information and what info DO you keep? We're using Heart of Dakota so I think that's part of why I'm just not sure how to keep track since there's soooo many books. ;)

You should be creating two documents: A transcript, which contains one line per class and is a quick overview of the entire high school program, and a course descriptions document, which is a paragraph to a page per class (people do these at different levels of detail, but don't go over a page per class) and gives the application reader a better feel for the depth and rigor of the course. You may or may not list every single book on the course description, depending on the level of depth you do. 

Some people also keep a reading list of school and pleasure reading as a third document. I have been half-heartedly keeping one, but it's not as detailed as it should be and may not turn out to be good enough to submit to colleges since a lot is missing.

A nice book of example documents is "Setting The Records Straight" by Lee Binz.

• Like 2

When ds now 20 was in high school we had a house fire and re-built our house. I put a year of "shop" under electives every year, which included drywall installation, painting, grouting, bricking, re-finishing wood floors, painting exterior of home, etc. He now works at a contractor while going to college making darn good money. 

I've had 3 kids apply and get accepted to college/ vo-tech and no-one ever asks for a course description doc- they look at test scores and then transcripts have to be sent in with the app. 

I've always used a free on-line template (i.e. DonnaYoung.org) but it would be easy enough to make yourself. 30 hrs=1/4 credit, 60=1/2, 120= 1 credit. 

• Like 3

Look at the links in the sticky threads. There is one on transcripts.

This is what I do to keep track:

every semester I write a 2 page summary listing each course, how much time we spent, what books and materials we used, and special activities, grade earned. This then allows me later to create course descriptions for each course where I compile all this info and later condense it into one paragraph for college applications.

Making the actual transcript is easy if you keep on top of things.

There are plenty of templates out which you can modify according to your situation. Much easier than using a program that "sends" stuff to a spreadsheet - why not put it in the spreadsheet directly???

You can also keep a running booklist and later decide which main works to list in your course descriptions.

• Like 2

I've had 3 kids apply and get accepted to college/ vo-tech and no-one ever asks for a course description doc- they look at test scores and then transcripts have to be sent in with the app.

I would not assume that just because a college doesn't ask for a course description, they would not like to see them. I was at a college fair last weekend and took my paperwork around to see what the reps thought. They almost all said, "This is fantastic, and so much more than we usually see from homeschoolers!"  So, I won't hide mine and won't wait for them to ask for it, either.

I also recommend doing what I did and taking your documents to a college fair for feedback. I took mine to various liberal arts schools DD is interested in.

I also used the opportunity to ask colleges, "What would you like to see my daughter add to her transcript for senior year?" It was interesting to see what they expected. One college was very interested in seeing 4 years of science, even for an art major. Another emphasized the fourth year of foreign language because study abroad and international focus is important to them. All of them wanted 4 years of math, which gives me ammunition for my math-dodging DD. It was interesting to see exactly what each college started looking at first and will definitely help DD shape her course plans and applications.

• Like 5

I agree with other posters. Also, if you are struggling to come up with a title and a description, find out what your local tech center calls it. Many school districts have a tech center where high schoolers can take applied, vocational training for credit. Welding is a program our tech center offers. You might even be able to do a google search and find the website for your local technology program.

As for course descriptions, I always send them even if the school does not ask for them along with a curriculum list. I have had positive feedback from numerous admins that while the policy is not to require such documentation, they are pleased to see it.

• Like 2

For the course description you could ask him every couple weeks what he's learning. What machines/types of welding has he learned (ex arc welding, oxy acetylene, TIG. ). Are there particularl metals he's learned on? Welding techniques?

There may well be a standard manual that he could use that could be listed as a text.

If the person teaching him has specific certifications you could include that information.

• Like 1

Our local high school offers a welding class through dual enrollment at the local community college. The main part of the description in the high school catalog is: "Basic Welding develops basic knowledge and practice with a welding process and performs welding in accordance with industry standards." I'd ask grandpa or your son to add to a basic description as they go.

Erica in OR

• Like 1

"Industrial Arts - Welding" or something like that.   BTW, a few years ago I saw a segment on TV about companies (one was a Railroad in the USA) who were desperate to hire certain kinds of Welders.  Those looking for jobs were few and far between...  Also, I knew a guy who is a Welding Inspector.  There are possibilities for making $ with this trade!

• Like 3

Lanny, Ferris State University now offers and applied degree, a BS in welding engineering or technology (can't remember the exact title) and the students who graduate from it are doing VERY well. It combines applied, vocational training with academics...math through calc 1, metalury, basic physics, CAD, a couple of programming languages that some of the new computerized welding machines use, etc. A local CC offers an AA in welding technology, and again, even the students with the AA are quite gainfully employed.

These are really neat, hybridized degrees, and what we see locally is that for the students whose dad was involved in industrial arts and teaching at home - not uncommon - but who also have been on the edge academically about college, this is the best of both worlds because it provides a degree path that employers like to see but the hands on, vocation that they enjoy.

We have a friend that has worked in welding for about 10 years who cannot move up in the company without a degree. He is pursuing the AA - two more classes and he will have it completed - and upon graduation will get a $10,000 per year raise and a promotion. He is thrilled.

Ferris is currently the only BS program around. That's a good thing because it keeps the program competitive and limits the number of graduates so that demand is high. A neighbor mentioned to me that all of the good, regional schools should offer the BS and I told them no because there will be a glut of graduates which will saturate the market, drive starting wages down, and making it harder to find a position upon graduation.

We have a young man in 4-H that will be pursuing entrance to the BS welding program. He's been turning in wonderful metalworking projects to our 4-H Industrial Sciences competition. I hope he gets into the program.

• Like 4

FaithManor I haven't communicated with the guy I mentioned for 2 or 3 years. He is married to a Colombian woman, but they are living in the states, until he retires. I do not think there is any lack of work for him.  He always seems to have work.   I will try to find his email address and I'll send him a note.

• Like 1

I would not assume that just because a college doesn't ask for a course description, they would not like to see them. I was at a college fair last weekend and took my paperwork around to see what the reps thought. They almost all said, "This is fantastic, and so much more than we usually see from homeschoolers!"  So, I won't hide mine and won't wait for them to ask for it, either.

I also recommend doing what I did and taking your documents to a college fair for feedback. I took mine to various liberal arts schools DD is interested in.

I also used the opportunity to ask colleges, "What would you like to see my daughter add to her transcript for senior year?" It was interesting to see what they expected. One college was very interested in seeing 4 years of science, even for an art major. Another emphasized the fourth year of foreign language because study abroad and international focus is important to them. All of them wanted 4 years of math, which gives me ammunition for my math-dodging DD. It was interesting to see exactly what each college started looking at first and will definitely help DD shape her course plans and applications.

I'm not saying hide anything. Documentation is important and if you want to add course descriptions, that's fine, but I doubt necessary. Admissions fairs are different than application packets (I'm a former admissions rep at a private grad school and currently a high school Academic Adviser for a private accredited program that works with students who apply to all types of programs- vo-tech, Ivy, NCAA, etc). Frankly, I take the less is more approach and do what they ask with excellence and then don't send anything else- because Admissions Reps often have a ton of students, many responsibilities and more paper in a file  is just another thing to shuffle. If it's a competitive program, the admissions rep is just going to make sure the app has the required boxes checked and send it to the decision making committee. 

Test scores/recommendations, etc. justify the courses and that's most likely what they'll go by. 

• Like 2

My son has been a plumber's apprentice since he was 14.  All four years of high school include a credit for his work.  The first year was when he got his official state apprenticeship license and we have that year down as Beginning Trade Apprenticeship, second year is On The Job/ Skills Training, the third year is Work Study/ Continuing Apprenticeship, fourth year is also preparing him for his journeyman license in a year and we are calling it Apprenticeship Completion and Skills Overview.  If your son is wanting to seriously consider welding, he should consider applying for his apprenticeship license so his hours can be officially applied toward a future trade.  We are in Colorado and had no problem filing official paperwork to have our son as a licensed apprentice at the age of 14.  The state recognizes him and his hours are turned in every year.  This helps to show the amount of hours of training he has received. 

• Like 4

My son has been a plumber's apprentice since he was 14.  All four years of high school include a credit for his work.  The first year was when he got his official state apprenticeship license and we have that year down as Beginning Trade Apprenticeship, second year is On The Job/ Skills Training, the third year is Work Study/ Continuing Apprenticeship, fourth year is also preparing him for his journeyman license in a year and we are calling it Apprenticeship Completion and Skills Overview.  If your son is wanting to seriously consider welding, he should consider applying for his apprenticeship license so his hours can be officially applied toward a future trade.  We are in Colorado and had no problem filing official paperwork to have our son as a licensed apprentice at the age of 14.  The state recognizes him and his hours are turned in every year.  This helps to show the amount of hours of training he has received. 

I wish. Michigan you have to be 18…. :( Even with a possible move to Georgia or Tennessee, they're both 18 as well.

In Colorado you have to be sponsored by a master plumber in good standing and be their designated apprentice.  You must be 18 before applying to be a journeyman.  We thought it was 18 to be an apprentice but contacted the state plumbing board and found out that they handle apprenticeships in a different way and don't really publish the information.  We had to contact them to find out what the rules and regulations were.

• Like 1

I would just like to say that not every form has to look like the final product and I don't think that OP's record keeping is that off base. The transcript will be produced once or twice, once for college apps and then at the end.

It is FINE if she has one record-keeping by book, and then is arranging classes otherwise. Sure, in an ideal world, everything would be in one spreadsheet that will presto chango turn into a transcript at the end, but there are many ways to do it.

• Like 1