Menu

For a first live online, a Core class or a fun one?

Buck is a sophomore this fall and it'll (probably) be our last HS year. He wants to go to high school for his last 2 years.

But, he has dyslexia as ADD-like distractibility, so school can be a real challenge. Weeks can go by when he has trouble getting just the basic 4 done...

I'm trying to inject some variety into his week, as well as accountability to someone other than just Mom and was looking at a live online class.

These are rather expensive ($3-600 per year, depending on class and provider) so I really want to choose carefully.

Should I look for a core class so we ease some drudgery from the routine?

Or should I look for an elective (for example, the Potter School has a CADD for mech.engineering I know he'd like) and make it something completely separate and fun?

What does he want to do?

Our first online classes were things like eDx courses (free), Center for Lit literature discussion classes, 4-6 week Bravewriter writing classes. (Actually our first classes were AoPS Mathcounts classes - but those ranked as fun).

If you are worried, I'd be careful about how much work is required and what you are locking him into. Having an outside teacher/schedule is wonderful, but can also be a real hassle to learn how to work at that schedule.

• Like 1

When my kids started online classes, we had them start with classes in which they had an intrinsic interest, so that they actually wanted to learn the material and do the assignments. That helped when they got bogged down with course minutiae and drudgery. Once they figured out how to do an online course, we worked in non-favorite core classes.

There is a learning curve with each program-- the student (and you) have to figure out how the class is set up, where to find assignments, how to do them, how to turn them in, how to check that the instructor actually received the courses. How to study for tests, how to do tests. Making sure they were following the syllabus and getting assignments in on time. In some cases the syllabus was created several years ago and the courses had evolved since then, so some assignments did not line up with the syllabus. Then you and your DC have to figure out what actually has to get done. I have ended up being more of a supervisor, checking in with them sometimes every day or a few times during the week to make sure they were on track, and helping them figure out what to do when assignments fall through the cracks (they forgot to do something 9 weeks ago, or they did it but didn't send it, or the instructor lost it.) Every time I think they had it under control and I didn't check in with them, some assignment or three would go astray.

On the plus side it does give them a taste of autonomy and a low-risk way to practice their organization skills in the comfort of their own home.

Maria

• Like 1

For something a little different (but definitely helpful, especially for a student returning to ps), what about the free Digital Learning course from Impact Virtual Learning? It is for students from 6th-12th grade and it teaches a lot of online things such as setting up a blog and using all sorts of tools to do things like insert a slideshow or images. It is set up like a regular course with due dates, a discussion board, and teacher feedback. The instructor understands that it is often a first online course for students, so if a student doesn't complete an assignment correctly he offers specific feedback for correcting it and allows multiple submissions up until the due date. It is short, so you could use it as an evaluation to gauge how he would do in an online course, but without the chance of losing hundreds of dollars if it doesn't go well. The next one starts in early August, so you would be able to determine how he would do in time to possibly sign him up for a yearlong course or a semester elective in the winter.

My oldest is currently in the course, and I am extremely impressed. It is very well run, the instructor checks into the course quite regularly, and best of all - as an English teacher he does not accept any text-speak.  :lol: 

• Like 3

My kids both tried online classes for the first time this year. They were not classes with a live classroom time. Both my kids found it very difficult to stay engaged. We did core classes, and now I wish I hadn't. If I were doing it again, I would start with something more engaging.

• Like 1

Debbie,

Don't be discouraged to the point of avoiding all online classes! There's a vast difference between live online classes and asynchronous (not live) online classes. My boys will be taking two async classes next year because of scheduling difficulties and because we successfully used one of the providers (Derek Owens) last year, but normally we only do live online classes. Almost all of the live online classes we've done have kept my students focused and engaged.

Are PA AP classes not live?

yvonne

Are PA AP classes not live?

There is no classroom time/live interactions. They are live in that there are daily interactions, they are not asynchronous, so I guess it depends on definition. I was very happy with the PA homeschoolers classes. The English class was amazing. I think Maya Inspektor is a gifted teacher.

My oldest is graduating, but I wouldn't do another online class with him. He really prefers the in person classes that he has done dual enrollment at the local State U. Dd is moving to all dual enrollment next year, but will do one each semester online, so I haven't given up completely. :)

I agree with going for something of interest for the first class, or something that would be a good experience that you would find hard to do on your own, like a foreign language, for example.  I think that the structure of a class, with due dates and guides about what should be done and when, can be a great experience, whether the class has a live component or not.

• Like 1