Menu

Spell checker device?

I'm looking for one that my dd10 could use. She has an iPad which will fix her spelling if she is typing, but I'd like something that she can have with her while she is writing and speak the word in she needs help with and it would give her the spelling...does this exist? She has such a hard time with writing, I want to take spelling stress off the table completely. We will still do a spelling curriculum' but during writing I want her to just focus on writing. We have a spelling dictionary, but it takes her a long time to flip through it and sometimes, she is really off when looking up a word. For example, she was trying to find symbol and was looking in the S-I section and wasted ten minutes just trying to find it. So something where she could talk into it and it would give her the spelling would be great. Any ideas?

We liked the idea of the Franklin but found most of the words my daughter wanted weren't in there or it didn't understand her phonetic spelling (and yes it was usually phonetic, I would check).

We used the Franklin Spellchecker as part of Barton Reading and Spelling, (which is a program for tutoring persons with dyslexia). How to find words with a spellchecker is part of Barton.  For our purposes of remediating dyslexia, it helps to have the Franklin model designed for crossword puzzles--that's the specific one we've been told to use, but I imagine the crossword puzzle feature could get in the way. If a word is spelling phonetically but uses the wrong number of letters, the crossword puzzle feature wouldn't find it. If a _ (blank space expressed as an underline sign) is filled in at the spot where the user is unsure of how the sound is spelled, the Franklin should be able to find the word. We haven't had much trouble finding words as long as they have either the right number of letters or the blank sign.