Menu

U.S. History spine

What would you recommend?  

I can't seem to find a curriculum that will fit our family and needs so I'm putting together a timeline to teach from and wasn't planning on using a spine.  A friend of mine taught AP History and has a plethora of materials (handouts, quizzes, articles, movies, etc) I can use/borrow/copy.  So my plan is to use those resources plus what I find online.  

However, my 15yo told me today that she feels she learns better having a textbook to refer to.  So now the search is on.  

We're picking back up right before the Civil War and going from there.  I don't want anything religious (ie. Bob Jones).  

We're using A History of the American People by Paul Johnson. It's not a textbook, but it's a hefty 1100 pages, just as thorough as a textbook, and more pleasant to read.

That is what we use, too.  I also incorporate TC"s US History lectures.  My ds did that combo last year and scored way above what was required to get credit via CLEP.

• Like 2

I'd prefer to stay away from a traditional text since many times they are not accurate and/or biased.  

What is that?

I think that's why I like the Paul Johnson book so well.  He's not an American, and thus has no political axe to grind.

We also used the Great Course lecture series (downloaded from Audible), and the FundaFunda schedule.

• Like 4