Menu

Audio Book Recommendations Needed 4 Summer Road Trip!

Road trips are always a great way to add more literature into the lives of all family members. ;)

We are (mom, dad & older teen daughter) heading to Yellowstone, Grand Tetons and the Black Hills, driving a total of 40 hours during the trip; so there will be lots of audio book time. On our last road trip we listened to "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett; multiple narrators made the audio book a wonderful listening experience. I had previously listened to The Help and knew my family would enjoy it on the road trip...they ended up loving it, and they are begging for more on this summers trip :D.

What are some great "family friendly", audio books, like The Help, you would recommend?

TIA!

Has anyone read\listen to "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks†by Rebecca Skloot? I have it on my personal list, of books to listen to, but I'm not sure it would be a good book for the road trip...is it really sad?

I'm listening to it right now. Yes the material is painful. Very well done book and great on audio. I'm encouraging my high school son to listen.

great ideas, ladies! Thanks so much for your help!

Here is what I plan to take along so far:

100 cupboards Book One

Author: N. D. Wilson.

Read by Russell Horton.

Summary: After his parents are kidnapped, timid twelve-year-old Henry York leaves his sheltered Boston life and moves to small-town Kansas, where he and his cousin Henrietta discover and explore hidden doors in his attic room that seem to open onto other worlds.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dandelion fire Book Two.

Author: Nathan D. Wilson.

Other Authors: Russell M. Horton

---------------------------------------------------

"The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks†by Rebecca Skloot

Summary: Documents the story of how scientists took cells from an unsuspecting descendant of freed slaves and created a human cell line that has been kept alive indefinitely, enabling discoveries in such areas as cancer research, in vitro fertilization, and gene mapping.

--------------------------

"The Guernsey literary and potato peel pie society"

Author: Mary Ann. Shaffer.

Summary: It's a book club born as a spur-of-the-moment alibi when its members are discovered breaking curfew by the Germans occupying their island. Juliet Ashton, a London writer, converses in letters with the Society's members, learning about their lives, their island, their taste in books, and the impact that the recent German occupation has had on all of them. Captivated by their stories, she sets sail to meet these people with whom she has found connection.

------------------

Al Capone Does My Shirts by: Gennifer Choldenko.

Moose Flanagan and his family have just moved to Alcatraz Island so that his father can take a job as a prison guard and his sister Natalie can go to a special school in San Francisco. Moose misses his old baseball team, and he struggles for recognition in his new school.

Then his sister Natalie, who suffers from autism, is rejected from the Esther P. Marinoff School, crushing his parents' hopes for Natalie's education. Now Moose must take care of Natalie after school while his mother teaches music lessons, and he must find a way to deal with Natalie's screaming fits and constant needs.

Complicating Moose's life even more is Piper, the daughter of the prison warden. Piper lures Moose into her scheme to make money by collecting laundry from their classmates with the promise that Al Capone is among the convicts assigned to laundry duty on Alcatraz.

---------------------

Al Capone Shines My Shoes: by Gennifer Choldenko

What do you do when your neighbors are a bunch of hit men, con men, and mad dog murderers? Well, if you're Moose Flanagan, you ask the most notorious convict of them all, Al Capone.

---------------------

The map that changed the world [sound recording] : [William Smith and the birth of modern geology] Author: Simon. Winchester

--------------------

Lynn Austin - Trilogy of Civil War

-------------------