Menu

anyone else hoping for a game changing ACT score tomorrow?

My sophomore son is looking for a 32 because that will be good enough for the schools he is interested in.  He could conceivably decide to take it again if there is some competitive scholarship, he is going for later, but he won't feel like he has to take it again.  A few years ago daughter was going for a 24 so she didn't have to take placement exams at the community college.  So a score that is good enough can vary quite a lot, depending on what the goals are.

• Like 4

32 is definitely not always the magic number.  It all depends upon the school.  If I recall correctly, Pitt tends to start their merit aid offers with a 33 and goes higher for higher scores.  Some schools that kids from my school attend start their merit aid much lower - in the mid to upper 20s.

• Like 3

32 is definitely not always the magic number.  It all depends upon the school.  If I recall correctly, Pitt tends to start their merit aid offers with a 33 and goes higher for higher scores.  Some schools that kids from my school attend start their merit aid much lower - in the mid to upper 20s.

Ds opted not to retest, his score was below 32, but high enough for an automatic scholarship. I let him decide whether to retest and another few points in score wouldn't have made that much difference in merit aid. Because the scholarship is also tied to GPA, he opted to make sure he maintains that instead of spending more time with test prep. 

• Like 7

Hopeful for Friday! We need to send in scores ON FRIDAY for a camp.

I hope you get them! I just want them. :lol: I will admit to hoping that a good score might really help both kids on the SAT subject tests on Saturday. They are both showing signs of allergy problems or a cold. Not sure which yet. So may not be at their best this weekend. Positive reinforcement would be great about now.

Dh is now charge of looking....he plans not to tell that the scores are there if either child will be disappointed.

• Like 1

Still waiting. These are for an 8th grader, so not a nail-biting wait. But still! I am ultra-curious.

Same here (8th grader)... and my curiosity is finally satisfied.  :)  And I am really pleased with the score.  Too bad it doesn't count because it's pre-high school.  But it satisfied state testing requirements which was the reason why my kid took it.

• Like 5

Nothing. I'm frustrated. If they don't post scores on Mondays, then it will be May 11th before I can check which is past the deadline to register for June. I won't have a laptop with me in Virginia, and we leave for TARC at 5:30 a.m. Wednesday. I might have a chance to check before we leave since the batch is supposedly posted at midnight - not certain if that is consistent or not - but it's going to be a terribly hectic morning.

Same here (8th grader)... and my curiosity is finally satisfied.  :)  And I am really pleased with the score.  Too bad it doesn't count because it's pre-high school.  But it satisfied state testing requirements which was the reason why my kid took it.

It depends on what you consider counting...

Good scores may open doors to opportunities well before college. Those doors may lead to the roads that lead to riches in the form of elite college acceptances and/or scholarship $$$. So in some respects, they count a great deal!

• Like 2

So sorry to those of you still awaiting scores.  Uggh!

Ours are in.  Ds needed a 28 to qualify for some scholarships (he's a junior) and that's what he got.  His scores improved across the board from last year's exam, except in English.  He got confused the day of the test and thought he was finished at question 60, then had to rush once he realized his mistake.  Hard not to think of what might have been.  We are happy with these scores.

Thanks for keeping me company while I waited. : )

• Like 7

It depends on what you consider counting...

Good scores may open doors to opportunities well before college. Those doors may lead to the roads that lead to riches in the form of elite college acceptances and/or scholarship $$$. So in some respects, they count a great deal!

I was not aware that pre-high school scores were used for anything other than satisfying state testing requirements.  What kind of opportunities do you mean? 

Nothing. I'm frustrated. If they don't post scores on Mondays, then it will be May 11th before I can check which is past the deadline to register for June. I won't have a laptop with me in Virginia, and we leave for TARC at 5:30 a.m. Wednesday. I might have a chance to check before we leave since the batch is supposedly posted at midnight - not certain if that is consistent or not - but it's going to be a terribly hectic morning.

:grouphug: FYI, My understanding is it's Midnight central time.

My oldest at home (junior son) is happy to declare that he doesn't have to take it again.  He really bombed the English section last spring and kept blaming it on circumstances beyond his control.  The proctor forgot to give them the five minute warning and he said that's why he did so badly because he didn't actually finish that section.  I kept telling him that I didn't buy it because English has always been his downfall. 

Anyway, he just got his scores and he raised that English score by five points so I guess his explanation was plausible - LOL!   He was just shooting for the minimum requirement on English for his college this time  and he made it past that and managed to raise his Reading and Math by one click and keep his Science the same so he's happy that it's done and he doesn't have to do it again.

• Like 8

I was not aware that pre-high school scores were used for anything other than satisfying state testing requirements. What kind of opportunities do you mean?

They can be used to qualify for summer camps, JHU CTY online courses, and permission to take college courses. And probably other stuff that I don't know about.

• Like 3

I posted separately about dd's April ACT because I wanted to credit the people who have helped us this year.  Dd's improvement has come with lots of hard work. Throughout the years, I have seen posts from parents who have children struggling with academics in various ways.  In fact, there was a recent thread on average children.  I want to encourage those parents to never give up searching for materials and methods that can help your child move beyond average.  It is possible.

• Like 7

I posted separately about dd's April ACT because I wanted to credit the people who have helped us this year.  Dd's improvement has come with lots of hard work. Throughout the years, I have seen posts from parents who have children struggling with academics in various ways.  In fact, there was a recent thread on average children.  I want to encourage those parents to never give up searching for materials and methods that can help your child move beyond average.  It is possible.

Hope you don't mind me posting a link to the thread!

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/550355-act-plugs/

• Like 2

Will no one with the group have a laptop to borrow?

What about trying a library branch at lunch time in VA?

Could you give someone trusted the access info and have them check for you?

• Like 3

Will no one with the group have a laptop to borrow?

What about trying a library branch at lunch time in VA?

Could you give someone trusted the access info and have them check for you?

No, but it just occurred to me that I could check from cell phone. Mark will be the only one with a laptop and it is his work one in case there is a work related problem. We are not allowed to check personal websites from that computer.

The team is not allowed electronic devices due to the nature of the competition. But, if my phone's 3G will hook up - it can be rather sporadic which is quite frustrating - I can check from that. As for a library, we have a 12 hour drive there, and our days after that are jam packed. I doubt I'd have the downtime to go find a library and use one of their computers. Hopefully the phone will work.

Thanks!

• Like 1

No, but it just occurred to me that I could check from cell phone. Mark will be the only one with a laptop and it is his work one in case there is a work related problem. We are not allowed to check personal websites from that computer.

I think I'd be giving the access info to a different child or another relative and having them call me! Not sure I could wait.

• Like 3

I think I'd be giving the access info to a different child or another relative and having them call me! Not sure I could wait.

I'm quite sure I could not! 

We have her composite score, but now we're waiting on the writing score . . . agony! 

Hoping this helps... Or maybe I'm the last one to find out about this...

I signed dd up for the June ACT today.  After I typed in her user name/PW, the next screen (I think) showed links to her past and CURRENT scores.  I was able to see the multiple choice scores and composite score.  

ACT never alerted me that this was available.  I called several days ago to ask, and the rep told me that I had to wait for the writing portion to be graded before I would know anything.  

So, if you are still waiting for scores because you have not heard from ACT, give this a try.  Just pretend like you're going to register for the next test.  Type in the id/pw, and see if you're scores are in.

• Like 2

Hoping this helps... Or maybe I'm the last one to find out about this...

I signed dd up for the June ACT today. After I typed in her user name/PW, the next screen (I think) showed links to her past and CURRENT scores. I was able to see the multiple choice scores and composite score.

ACT never alerted me that this was available. I called several days ago to ask, and the rep told me that I had to wait for the writing portion to be graded before I would know anything.

So, if you are still waiting for scores because you have not heard from ACT, give this a try. Just pretend like you're going to register for the next test. Type in the id/pw, and see if you're scores are in.

Thanks for the suggestion but no scores for us. :( I am curious if it will work for anyone else.

Ah, well, her writing score showed up today, and it's much lower than her composite score. Like, she should really take it again if only she didn't have to take the whole test again low. She's going to be really disappointed. 

I'm hoping her A's in English composition at university set it off somewhat. 

Ah, well, her writing score showed up today, and it's much lower than her composite score. Like, she should really take it again if only she didn't have to take the whole test again low. She's going to be really disappointed. 

I'm hoping her A's in English composition at university set it off somewhat. 

Have you looked at the middle 50% of the writing for competitive schools?  It is lower than you would think.  I have heard they don't put much stock into an essay that students can't sufficiently think through and revise.  My dd scores 33 on both Reading and English but can't seem to score higher than an 8 on the writing.  Duke's writing scores are 8-10.  I wouldn't worry too much about it.

• Like 3

Have you looked at the middle 50% of the writing for competitive schools?  It is lower than you would think.  I have heard they don't put much stock into an essay that students can't sufficiently think through and revise.  My dd scores 33 on both Reading and English but can't seem to score higher than an 8 on the writing.  Duke's writing scores are 8-10.  I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I hadn't, so that's good to know. And she took it better than I expected, and agreed that schools would have enough other info to go on. 

• Like 1