Menu

Famous ballet, theater, opera blu rays?

I'm posting to remember to come back to this. My daughter is really big on ballet (pre-pro program) and knows more than I do. She's in a show right now, though, so will have to wait until tonight or tomorrow.

I do know that there are many ballets on Youtube- Royal Ballet Co might have some full-length videos, American Ballet, oh there's a bunch of recommendations on Ballet Talk too. http://dancers.invisionzone.com/index.php?showforum=25

Guest theashken

I'm not sure that I can recommend a particular series...but we've had good success finding performances on DVD/BluRay at our public library. My two are young- but DD 6 loves ballet.

We've had success reading about composers (for instance Tchaikovsky), and the stories of Swan Lake, Sleeping Beauty, and the Nutcracker. We've attended some local performances, but have also gotten DVDs at the library to fill in the gaps. I'm thinking we liked the ones by the Royal Ballet the most. Though this is based on the performance, not video features...can't really help you there...I don't notice those kind of things.

Thank you both for posting.

I have seen nice ones on YouTube. I don't know if its just my connecting device or what but its a pain to fast forward, rewind, or pause. I will look at the library to preview different ones, but in other videos I've watched from the library it seems like they tend to have the basic versions. I don't need a ton of special features but I would like good quality.

It's a subscription, but we really enjoyed using Digital Theatre Plus last year. It's an online subscription to filmed stage performances from the UK, with a lot of educational additions---mostly theater (modern, classics, Shakespeare, musical), some opera as well, but no ballet when we used it but they are always adding material and the website lists classical music and dance as "coming soon." It's $75 for the year through Homeschool Buyer's Co-op https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/digital-theatre-plus.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...