Menu

Duolingo?

Weird. Yeah, just checked again & got in just fine. 

Miffed at not getting my lingots for my streak? Yep.

Mildly unamused at how one of my trees, the one I actually know better, is decaying faster than the other for some odd reason? Yep.

Problems getting into the actual website? Nope.

There have been some new Windows updates (and Java & Flash) lately. Completely 'out there', but have you updated for those yet?

Thanks for checking. It's bizarre and frustrating. My DD got on using this computer this morning, but now I can't get on. I recently did a Windows update, but will check the Java and Flash you mentioned.

ETA: Just got on and did my French! I don't trust it now, though :glare:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

slightly off topic, but do you think a 7 year old could do Duolingo? My 7 year old is a precocious reader so I'm not worried about her being able to read instructions. However, it does look like a lot of typing and I don't want to make foreign language into typing class :)

slightly off topic, but do you think a 7 year old could do Duolingo? My 7 year old is a precocious reader so I'm not worried about her being able to read instructions. However, it does look like a lot of typing and I don't want to make foreign language into typing class :)

I have a pair of precocious little puppies on it.  DS is 8 and has been using it for two years or thereabouts, DD is 6 and has just started (I gave into the nagging).  It is a steep learning curve but you can't argue with the computer, if you're wrong, you're wrong :-) 

*they're both proficient on the keyboard though... I think it would be extremely frustrating for a new typer. 

My kids did one finger typing on my iPhone for duolingo or two finger typing on their kindles/iPads. We have never done it on the laptops.

My precocious almost-5 really enjoys DuoLingo. That said, we "modify" it in a couple ways by me always sitting alongside her. She knows a basic keyboard layout but still hunts and pecks. She types the Spanish it asks for, but when it wants translations into English then she translates verbally and I type. And I gave her a couple of offline lessons in verb conjugation to make the verb sections flow smoother, or we might have never gotten through those.