Menu

Adding Greek to CC Latin?

Slache

I was not going to start Latin so young, but we've decided to do Classical Conversations at home next year and I'm contemplating it. He will be 5. If I do start Latin I think I might teach the Greek equivalent to the Latin for the week. I've heard that the Latin is *very* light, so I don't feel that this will be overwhelming. I'm also considering teaching the Latin and Greek a year behind the rest of the courses which I think is much more doable for us. Has anyone done this? CC Scope & Sequence.

I have not but since no one else has answered I think one thing you could ask yourself is what your goal is. If it is mastery, then I would not do two languages. I would supplement the CC Latin with another Latin program so that you cover it well.  If you try to do two languages at once, it is unlikely you will master either.  

At age 5 you could just do the CC memory and add something later like in 1st grade (Song School Latin) or just wait until 3rd and jump into a curriculum. IMO, a five year old shouldn't be spending much time on anything but reading, writing, and math.

The Latin they do in CC is little more than the declension (noun) endings, some verb endings, and some phrasing. It is useful if you take Latin later, but it certainly does not "teach" you Latin. They assume that around 3rd or 4th grade you will put your child in some sort of Latin curriculum. If your kids move on through to Challenge, my understanding is that they assume some formal prior Latin instruction (other than what is learned in Foundations). 

I hope that helps.

• Like 2

I agree with the PP. I wasn't going to do Latin at all, but since we are continuing in CC I have recently decided that it makes more sense for us to focus on Latin for now and do another language later. I am *hoping* that the foundation in Latin will really help them later with foreign language as much as everyone says it will. We are going to start Song School Latin this year.

• Like 1

There isn't a whole lot of learning Latin in Foundations but it is stuff that will be helpful later on.  Cycle 3 is really the only year they learn any words at all.  Both of my high schoolers take Latin as part of the Challenge program and both have said they wished they knew some of the stuff taught in Foundations before hand (neither did Foundations).  Cycle 1 is just doing the declension tables which will be helpful later on if you continue Latin.  If I recall from the last time we did Cycle 1 the tables are repeated over 4 weeks to help the children remember them.  

We've added Song School Latin and Latin's not so Tough at various times to the Latin at Foundations.  I really like SSL.  I know many say it is light (it is meant for earlier elementary though) but my kids have learned and retained many words from SSL.  Even my high schoolers who have done 3-4 years of Henle Latin each have been surprised at some of the Latin the younger kids have known.  

• Like 2

We are starting CC next year also. My girls will be in foundations and essentials. From the list I've looked at it really isn't much they are learning. Challenge they do Henley Latin. We have two year till my oldest hits challenge level so we are doing Spanish for two years. Considering most of DH's family lives in Mexico I think it's very important for my girls to know Spanish first. Right now they can't talk to their cousins or grandfather. I do think two languages at one time would be very difficult that's why we are spending the next two years in Spanish before they actually have to learn Latin. I'm still not even sure if we will do challenge though so it may not be an issue. 

• Like 1

Hey Andrew was what I had planned to use before I decided on CC. I think the memory work style of CC Latin sounds simple and effective. I have not decided what I'm going to do, but I have decided to wait until first grade to start either so I have some time. Thank you to everyone for your input.

We aren't in CC anymore but we were for 3 1/2 years. We added Hey Andrew and I still love that program.

We also do CC and Hey Andrew Greek. Easy combination. When your student reaches the Challenge level, you may want to reevaluate, depending on time and student interest.

• Like 1

Hey Andrew was what I had planned to use before I decided on CC. I think the memory work style of CC Latin sounds simple and effective. I have not decided what I'm going to do, but I have decided to wait until first grade to start either so I have some time. Thank you to everyone for your input.

The CC Latin is strictly memory work. You can add to it, if you choose, but we are sticking with the basic CC memory work and doing Hey, Andrew until Challenge, when we will start Henle. At that point, dd will have had a very solid grammar foundation through Essentials to bring to the table for expanding Latin studies.

• Like 1